Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:11:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690985
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Pulp Alley Dice Question  (Read 1358 times)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
A Pulp Alley Dice Question
« on: May 29, 2014, 04:42:57 PM »
Dave, Mila etal,
Want to be sure I am doing this correctly. Lets say my leader is firing at an opposing Askari. He rolls his 3d10, and scores 4, 6 and 10, so three hits. The Askari rolls to dodge, but only has 1d6 as his dodge rating, so that is all he rolls, correct? Or does he roll 1d6 to dodge each hit?

Nick

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
Re: A Pulp Alley Dice Question
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 06:03:27 PM »
As you may know, Dave has been in the hospital, so he and Mila may take a little time off the hobby.

But I'll try to answer you as best as I can, provided of course that when Dave and Mila are back they'll give you the "official" answer.

When firing:

If the target fires back, the player who is firing does the "dice matching", so he-she can decide how many hits to accept-apply to his enemy (pg. 17).

When the target DODGES, is the target who controls the "dice matching" to try and negate the hits in a ONE BY ONE basis (pg. 20).

So in your example, the askari ONLY ROLLS 1 DIE. And he needs to roll EQUAL OR HIGH that at least one of the successes of the attacker to cancel a hit.

This may seem like a waste (and ussually is, this is Pulp and followeres are supossed to be no match to the leaders), but if he denies just one hit, then he will need to throw 2 dice instead of 3 for the HEALT roll, and that can make a difference.

Now, the point is, all characters suffer a "multiple combat" penalty of -1 die for EACH COMBAT in the turn, so if the askari has ALREADY fought this turn, he may have NO DICE to shoot back.

BUT, even if "dodge" IS a combat action, you ALWAYS throw as many dice as your have in your stat, so for some low level characters, dodging soon becomes a good option to stay alive a little longer.

Hope that helps.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 06:26:53 PM »
Yup.
You got it Nick, you roll Dodge dice equal to the stat plus any bonus from abilities or cards.

Magokiron is spot on as well.

Dodge counts as a Combat action, so track its use, but Dodge dice are never reduced due to multiple combats; time to dodge when the going gets rough.

Any Dodge successes will reduce hits, on a one-for-one basis, but you must successfully dodge all hits to be able to perform a Dodge Move..
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 08:07:55 PM »
Guys,
          Thanks for the responses.  I am glad I was on the right track. The mechanics of Pulp Alley take some getting used to.
                                                                       Nick