Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:59:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691091
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Kickstarter] Mantic Dwarf Kings Quest. ALL DONE.$1.05 million final.  (Read 43722 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: [Kickstarter] Mantic Dwarf Kings Quest. ALL DONE.$1.05 million final.
« Reply #300 on: November 21, 2015, 05:54:32 PM »
I decided the same thing before this kickstarter, so now I'm happy. I'll keep an eye out for discounted boxes on the chance it bombs, but I don't think it will get down to Sedition Wars prices. :)

Like I stated earlier, the starter box is already on sale at 25-30% off at the normal retailers...it's cheap as dirt here in the states.  Now, is it worth that $55?  I dunno.  Don't have my copy yet.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #301 on: December 29, 2015, 02:04:23 AM »
Got my copy over Christmas.  I'll be selling it off on ebay.  It was worth looking into, but the miniatures are a bit crap and that's mostly what I bought in for.  Luckily it looks like I recoup my money 100%+ on ebay without gouging.

I'm hugely unimpressed with the quality of the materials in the box/miniatures.  I've never been overwhelmed by mantic stuff, but the plastics in normal kits are much better than these.  Plenty fine for board games, and while I could probably save a bunch with paint...I'm not interested.

Oh well, no harm no foul.  I do think it's totally worth $60 as a board game, but I play-tested it a few times with the beta rules and didn't enjoy it enough. 

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #302 on: December 29, 2015, 02:10:03 AM »
Mines sitting in the garage. I'll mess around with the scenery pieces and some of the bigger monsters but other than that, also rather unimpressed. I'll stick to me metal thanks.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #303 on: December 29, 2015, 03:19:23 AM »
I'm getting the feeling that as a consumer a KS is not such a bargain anymore.  The games keep going to retailers for 20-40% off, and more if the game bombs.  Paying retail on an unknown and unproven game is just not worth it anymore.....
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #305 on: December 29, 2015, 03:34:03 AM »
Different game.

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/dungeon-saga.html

here's the green risiing version of the game
http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/old-board-games/dwarf-kings-hold.html

Dead Rising is OOP

I'm getting the feeling that as a consumer a KS is not such a bargain anymore.  The games keep going to retailers for 20-40% off, and more if the game bombs.  Paying retail on an unknown and unproven game is just not worth it anymore.....

Right about that!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 03:36:21 AM by beefcake »

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #307 on: December 29, 2015, 03:36:52 PM »
I agree that a lot of the KS are not technically worth it.  However, you pretty much have to balance the freebies/limited edition stuff vs. the discount of the average retailer.  Also, depending on the company behind the KS, how genuinely interested in supporting their project are you?

I've only owned a few Mantic boxed sets in the past so they were a bit of an unknown to me, but given the quality of the game contents I won't be backing any further Mantic projects that's for sure. 

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #308 on: December 29, 2015, 06:58:01 PM »
I agree that a lot of the KS are not technically worth it.  However, you pretty much have to balance the freebies/limited edition stuff vs. the discount of the average retailer.  Also, depending on the company behind the KS, how genuinely interested in supporting their project are you?

I've only owned a few Mantic boxed sets in the past so they were a bit of an unknown to me, but given the quality of the game contents I won't be backing any further Mantic projects that's for sure. 

My current policy is not to back any game unless I've seen the rules already.  I've seen quite a few 'bait and switch' tactics like someone selling $15.00 n scale cars with no rules and calling it a game.  Before I dropped my pledge a number of people came to the conclusion that the KS project owner probably wanted to buy some new snazzy 3d printers on our dime.  I think he put the project up 3 times before it went to free rules and slightly cheaper lead cars.

Offline Humorous_Conclusion

• Bookworm
    • Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #309 on: December 29, 2015, 07:40:50 PM »
For most of their Kickstarters Mantic have been offering pre-order deals in their web stores almost as good as their Kickstarter rewards. Given that, I'm increasingly uninclined to take the risk on Kickstarters any more.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #310 on: December 30, 2015, 10:04:24 AM »
Haven't got mine, yet...  :-[
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #311 on: December 30, 2015, 10:48:12 AM »
I have parcelled out bits of mine (floorplans, book box, scenery, some figures) but kept the card decks and some of the models.

The plastic figures are passable game tokens but need a lot of effort to bring them to a miniatures game standard. Rulebook and scenarios journal are extremely cheap and flimsy but for me the most disappointing thing is the gameplay. Even with the Companion rules it is very shallow and unfortunately rather tedious. There are some good ideas, but they are not fully realised in the way that early discussions with Jake were suggesting they would be.
The bestiary is laughably small as it only includes figures Mantic make currently and the "create your own" aspect is probably the weakest bit of the advanced rules.

Overall I think the game seems rushed and unfinished, certainly not what I thought I was backing from the promises during the KS, Descent is a much better game in this genre.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #312 on: December 30, 2015, 04:24:26 PM »
I have to admit I'm a bit shocked at the poor quality of the components.  I was hoping to get a few good minis out of it and some good terrain bits for my dungeons...but the terrain bits are pretty half-assed and the figures just don't seem worth it.

Like you I was unimpressed with the quality of the journal/books/rules etc.  Very flimsy, poor pictures, even poor printing by comparison to a lot of stuff.  As with other Mantic stuff I've seen, not a lot of cohesion in the art are and it is all a bit uninspired.  I wasn't planning on playing the game as I'd play-tested the rules a couple of times and realized they were a bit crap. I hate to say it but quality-wise some of these mini-board games are going backwards in terms of quality.

Zombicide is 10x better production value and that's a pretty dedicated board game.  I understand Mantic's business design is to essentially undercut GW on cost, but man their stuff is quite uninspired. :-X

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #313 on: December 30, 2015, 04:47:33 PM »
Well I've enjoyed what I've played of mine so far. I like the core rules- I find he combat in particular has just enough depth to be more satisfying than something like Heroquest,  but is still streamlined enough to give a nice quick game. I also like the card management aspect in the Overlord role.

I agree some elements aren't as good as I'd hoped. The Adventurers companion should be the strongest part of the game but it tuns out to be the weakest.  The minis are exactly what I expected from Mantic game-a real mixed bag. That said they've painted up ok and I'm pretty happy wih them.

Like all Mantic games I've got through Kickstarter, you gwt the impression that a second edition will fix a lot of the slipshod parts of the game and that their is a solid he in there somewhere. For what I wanted, a fairly quick and lightweight Dungeon Crawl, it's pretty much hit the nail.on the head.

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #314 on: December 31, 2015, 09:10:33 PM »
I bought the game from a FLGS before Christmas as my pressie to me (turned out to be my Dad's present to me, and I didn't get myself anything. Hopefully I'll make it up to myself on my birthday o_o)

The minis were a bit of a pain to get ready. It took me two passes with the hot and cold water to get them straightened out, as well as a couple of sessions gluing the other foot to the base (seriously, all but one or two figures only had one foot glued. Why???)

Anyway... got around to playing the first game today and had a good time. The big problem that I hit was that it's missing the Necromancer Overlord Panel - basically the bestiary. There were enough partial photos to let me see how the skeletons behaved, but I've emailed Mantic asking for a replacement.

The game was good fun, and I will definitely be playing more games (once I get the replacement panel)