Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:40:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Inspiration - Super Hero Movies  (Read 12171 times)

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
Inspiration - Super Hero Movies
« on: May 30, 2014, 05:48:44 PM »
Hi Guys,

I was just looking for some inspiration and entertainment.  I was on a plane last summer and I ended up watching Chronicle in flight.  I had never heard of this movie but really enjoyed it.  I also came across Sky High by chance last year.

Can anyone recommend some of the less hyped super hero movies for inspiration and entertainment?

This might be a great thread to peruse once in a while.

Rusti

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
Looking for a set of rules that adaptable for different genres.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
Re: Inspiration - Super Hero Movies
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 01:24:15 AM »
A fair few of the DC animated films are also worth a look, most notably:
Batman - Under the Red Hood
The Flashpoint Paradox
Justice League: The New Frontier

Marvel has some as well, but they're usually not as good, though I will recommend Hulk vs Wolverine (mostly for Deadpool) and the Planet Hulk adaptation.

The Thomas Jane Punisher is worth a look if you can track down the Director's cut, as well as Jane's fan film "Dirty Laundry" which is on YouTube.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (LXG), the one with Sean Connery, is worth a look again if you haven't seen it in years, it's far from good, but as a VSF hero film, it has little other competition. Same goes for the RDJ Sherlock Holmes films.

It's also worth broadening the definition of "Superhero", Robocop, Transformers (the first Bay one), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the live action one), Ong Bak, Gamera vs Gyos, Ghost in the Shell and Equilibrium are all worth considering for heroic potential.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 02:47:42 AM »
A fair few of the DC animated films are also worth a look, most notably:
Batman - Under the Red Hood
The Flashpoint Paradox
Justice League: The New Frontier

Marvel has some as well, but they're usually not as good, though I will recommend Hulk vs Wolverine (mostly for Deadpool) and the Planet Hulk adaptation.

The Thomas Jane Punisher is worth a look if you can track down the Director's cut, as well as Jane's fan film "Dirty Laundry" which is on YouTube.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (LXG), the one with Sean Connery, is worth a look again if you haven't seen it in years, it's far from good, but as a VSF hero film, it has little other competition. Same goes for the RDJ Sherlock Holmes films.

It's also worth broadening the definition of "Superhero", Robocop, Transformers (the first Bay one), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the live action one), Ong Bak, Gamera vs Gyos, Ghost in the Shell and Equilibrium are all worth considering for heroic potential.

That Dirty Laundry short REALLY made me want to see another Punisher Movie...

Ghost Rider - Yea, Nick Cage, but once past that the movies was cool, the one with the old West Ghost Rider was pretty damm cool.

The Awesomes (season 2 in in August) I love this series reminds me of a messed up version of the Avengers with second rate heroes.....not for the kiddies.

The Heroes series...

Beowulf

Dr. Horrible's Sing along Blog (very funny if you can stand the musical aspect)

Misfits - Hulu series BBC

Greatest American Hero

Super Fuzz

The Cape (pretty good series once you got into it, shame it was canceled)

The Flash TV Series - Trickster!

Old Green Hornet series or the new Movie

Smallville series

No Ordinary Family series

The Tick series! SPOON!

Lost Girl - if you are into hot chicks making out and supernatural themes

Electra Woman and Dyna Girl

Manimal - wow forgot about this series!

Werewolf - more supernatural but did face some monsters

Bird of Prey Series

Wonder Woman Series

Six Billion Dollar Man (oh wait that is Obama) I mean the Six Million Dollar Man

Bionic Woman

Shield the new series on TV - Linda Carter or the 2007 reimaged one

Mutant X - I loved this series

Tomorrow People (old or new series)

Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 03:01:41 AM »
Not a movie but there's a show on TV called Arrow (based on Green Arrow)which is pretty good.
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 04:17:14 AM »
Dark man

Motion comics like the Watchmen

There are some great radio plays out there

Green llama
The shadow
The whisperer

Try reading the Astro City comics.  Different perspectives

Comics work for me

Offline Kieron

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 06:16:24 AM »
It probably won't be new to you, but Unbreakable explores being 'super' from a completely different angle. And at the other end of the spectrum there's the Mystery Men (I'm not sure there's a gaming system that can cope with modelling the Spleen's powers...).

I've also recently watched the full series of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Wolverine and the X-Men, and I have to say that they're the best cartoon versions of well known characters I've come across.

There are lots of really good fan films available on YouTube. The best ones IMO tend to be Batman ones: City of Scars, The Puppet Master.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 07:01:05 AM »
And at the other end of the spectrum there's the Mystery Men (I'm not sure there's a gaming system that can cope with modelling the Spleen's powers...)
:D

One of my fave films actually, that. Can't understand the lack of enthusiasm for it.

Anyway, can't recall much by the way of real movies or telly shows not mentioned yet, apart from maybe the mini-series No Heroics which is sorta a British version of Mystery Men I guess. But I'm quite sure teh Interwebz is full of goodies even tho I haven't had time to check them all out. The last one I perused was Heros of the North (for somewhat questionable reasons *cough* Bianca Beuchamp *cough*) but it appears to have thrown in the towel.

Offline Scorpio

• Scientist
  • justice wears a mask
    • Metal Skirmish
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 07:23:51 PM »
You already mentioned Chronicle and Sky High, which are two of my favorite picks when this discussion comes up. And other people brought in Mystery Men and Unbreakable.

Hancock is another one that never found its audience. Not a flawless movie, no, but certainly entertaining.

Kick Ass 2 surprised me by being a better film than the original, at least partially due to the better role for Hit Girl.

And of course Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, because yes.

Honorary mention goes to Kung Fu Hustle, which goes a little cartoony, but still cracks me up.
PMMDJ
http://metal-skirmish.blogspot.com/

"Seriously, there is an outrageous amount of running involved."

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 01:59:11 AM »
Thanks for the lists so far guys.  Obviously I'm up on the mainstream and blockbuster stuff :)  But I'm just curious about the hidden gems out there that haven't gotten much exposure.  There are quite a few in the above posts that I'll be checking into, THANKS!!

A buddy posted this buzzfeed on FB about a day after I asked this question, it's got a fairly extensive list of the obvious ones, and a few less obvious.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/superhero-movie-quiz

Offline Penchour

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 08:15:38 AM »
As a movie, I would also recommand Mistery Men. not only a really good time, but also a wide extension to the range of fashion failure or 'not to do suits for wannabe supers'.
On a less humoristic way, I could but hardly recommand you take a look at DC anime lines like Young Justice (only acceptable view of Lobo in here !!) or Justice League Unlimited, as series, or some of their 1shot like 'Crisis on 2 Earths' or those already mentionned: a complete 'palette' of variations on costumes and ways to embody archetypes.
As I am super friendly, I'll even help you improve your French and your knowledge on DCA here: http://www.latourdesheros.com/ltdh/index.php/Accueil

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 07:24:09 PM »
Zoom: Academy for Superheroes.
Hero at Large.

They are both very good movies, but not really mainstream.
- Scott

Offline Myrlyn

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 03:27:54 PM »
I recommend this site - http://filmonic.com/top-10-forgotten-superhero-movies-watch

Some others not on that list.
Condorman - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082199/?ref_=nv_sr_3
Defendor - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1303828/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_17

Awwww!  Props just for mentioning Condorman.  Loved that flick as a kid.  :)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 06:18:14 PM »
Super: shut up crime! You'll love it
Mystery Men too.  :D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 06:19:51 PM by Commander Vyper »
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 09:46:15 PM »
Wow and I thought I had seen all the superhero stuff ... clearly I haven't!

One not mentioned

Doc Savage (Film) - you will either love or hate it. Personally I love it but that's likely because of when I saw it as a kid.

I second Young Justice cartoon series - very, very good.
I also second Beowulf which I thought had some real messages about actions, consequences and secrets.

Also

Ulysses 31 - french cartoon series (from the 80s) which as a beginning, middle and actually an end!!
http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/20400/classic-geek-cartoons-revisited-ulysses-31

Great review above - and the show is so damned good I went and found that link to prove it!

Green Lantern cartoon series was also very good.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:58:38 PM by Archie »