Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:02:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Could the Following Be Used As 2nd Afghan War Artillery?  (Read 3299 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Could the Following Be Used As 2nd Afghan War Artillery?n
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 09:12:17 PM »
Finally Bicorn do a 2nd Afghan War gun crew but have no photos. However I think the consensus is that their figures are irredeemably horrid.

Except for the ECW stuff of course  ;) :). Though their ECW range isn't going to help me get out of my current pickle!  lol.

Darrell.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Could the Following Be Used As 2nd Afghan War Artillery?
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 09:30:41 PM »
I think Hobbit was referring to the colonial range only, not the ECW one. I seem to recall the figures were not originally Bicorne minis : unless I'm completely mistaken, the colonial range used to belong to another now-defunct manufacturer (can't remember which one) until it was bought by Bicorne. 

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 09:39:58 PM »
Got this reply from none other than Colonel Mike Snook yesterday:

"Darrell

Sadly not in their present form: it's the old puttees and helmet covers problem, both absent on these chaps. The gun is the 7pdr mountain gun on 'Kaffrarian' carriage, turned out by a coach building outfit in King William's Town, so of very limited utility. There is a set in the same Empress range with a 9-pdr however. Have you tried asking North Star and Artizan what their intentions are in respect of artillery? I'm sure you will know, but they have just done some British and Sikh infantry for the conflict.

You might be better off looking at Foundry's old Boer War stuff, which will at least have puttees, but on the down side will have the wrong equipment on. The limber set, however, is action packed (a Perry effort from the old days)...probably just the thing for saving the guns at Maiwand and that sort of thing. LIkewise Redoubt's new Boer War range. There is also a new Matabeleland gun crew by North Star Africa, whose slouch hats would have to go, but I can't immediately recall if they have puttees or boots on. All the stuff I have mentioned is illustrated on respective websites.

Regards

Mike"

Just thought that this might help not only me but others too(?).

Oh, and there's an e-mail on it's way to Mike Owen too but I'm quite sure that if I get any information it will almost certainly be in confidence.

Darrell.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:42:29 PM by Atheling »

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 09:50:54 PM »
Oh, and there's an e-mail on it's way to Mike Owen too but I'm quite sure that if I get any information it will almost certainly be in confidence.

My guess is the answer will be something along the lines of 'I definitely intend to cover the artillery but can't quite tell you yet when they will be out as I have plenty on my plate already'  :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:52:54 PM by Arthur »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 10:23:31 PM »
My guess is the answer will be something along the lines of 'I definitely intend to cover the artillery but can't quite tell you yet when they will be out as I have plenty on my plate already'  :)

We will see mon ami  :)

Darrell.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 10:23:47 PM »
In case that might be of some help, here's a slightly brighter and sharper version of the pic posted by Hobbit on the previous page. I nicked it off the NAM website and it shows foot artillery in Afghanistan in 1879. None of the men appear to be wearing puttees, though the officers wear boots.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 10:27:48 PM »
In case that might be of some help, here's a slightly brighter and sharper version of the pic posted by Hobbit on the previous page. I nicked it off the NAM website and it shows foot artillery in Afghanistan in 1879. None of the men appear to be wearing puttees, though the officers wear boots.

Thanks Arthur- more food for thought  :).

Darrell.

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 08:21:33 PM »
Yes, I was referring to Bicorne's non-ECW figures.

As an aside it does pain me to rubbish anyone's figures - apologies if anyone from Bicorne is reading.

...and I've just noticed the fellow in the top-most row in that photo striking the "artillery officer at C&A pose"  :) :) :)