Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:06:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690909
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warsaw 1920 - Adam Zamoyski  (Read 10353 times)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Warsaw 1920 - Adam Zamoyski
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 07:17:08 PM »
I too liked the "1st version" better.

Can't comment too much on the detail from these pictures other than remark on the poses which I must say are very weird. I hope I don't come off as an ass and have some trouble explaining exactly what the problem is. "Odd poses" in terms of models not really looking as if they are in a combat situation if that makes any sense.

For instance:  Polish officer with the pistol could be improved by raising the arm to make it look as if he was waving people behind onwards - and the pistol arm could be  straightened out.

Both models on the 2nd picture in the first row look very dull. I would not buy them if they were sold in a blister as I can't see any use for those either in a wargame or a diorama setting. They look as if they do nothing at all the way they are posed and holding their rifles.

Bugler and rifleman look good.

The soldier running and holding out his hand to the side and looking to the side ( picture 3 & 4 row nr2) would be better off looking ahead and waving people behind onwards or holding his rifle as if he was going to run someone through with the bayonet.

The Polish commander in the center of the  4th picture row nr3 looks utterly clueless scratching his chin. Again a model that I can't see fitting into anything because of the pose and and looks just make him a rather boring character.

The double hand grenade model has already been commented on, and I agree that one model is OK, but if he was to be sold in every pack with 3 other models I would be rather annoyed as well as 1 such model would look unique but having 3-4 models with this pose would be a bit silly.

I must say I utterly loved the first edition sculpts a lot more. They had better poses, detail, and level of sculpting. They looked a lot sharper. These guys seem just "downgraded" to fit in with other stuff which is a shame. I can understand why you did this, but now I'm not really sure about this range  :(

If possible (though I might be delusional) you should release both ranges of sculpts.

Offline koz10

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 01:03:17 AM »
I agree with what everyone else has said - the poses look stiff and odd. I understand that it's tough to come up with unique poses with all of the figures already out there. These just don't do it for me and I'm REALLY interested in this period for gaming.

On a different note, "God's Playground" will be an absolute sleeper on audio tape. Wouldn't recommend it at all! Get it from the library for free to read. It's a very deep and detailed history.

Check out: Shewchuk, Serge Michiel, "The Russo-Polish War of 1920." A better all over book than Davies' book even though it was written in 1966. It's a doctoral thesis available through interlibrary loan. I cannot find the title of the other but it's about the Konarmia and a more recent paper.

Offline koz10

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 01:05:17 AM »
They are somewhat stiff in terms of posing and the Old Glory style puttees are really unappealing.

"Old Glory style puttees" - ?? Can you explain this? Thanks!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 03:55:29 AM »
"Old Glory style puttees" - ?? Can you explain this? Thanks!

4 inches thick and exagerrated in style. This is, to be fair, better than saying 'Old Glory posing',  'Old Glory facial characteristics' etc.

These figures aren't bad on the whole IMO, just a bit stilted.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline ts

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 04:42:53 AM »
I fully understand the comments to the figures, I even agree in some ways.
TRhese figures are different from the main stream figures.
But I have decided to let the figures be cast, as they are - perhaps with some small corrections.
You can see bigger pictures of the figures on
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chen-la.com%2Fforum%2Findex.php&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=windows-1251
and are still welcome to comment.
I am too lazy to put the photos up here.
The officer with his hand to his mouth, he is blowing a whistle, a very common feature to give orders in those days, even in the Danish army in the 1960-ies.
This is a private project and the sculptor is a Russian newbie, who I think will become a really good sculptor.
There is a very big difference between looking at obviously distorted photos and having the greens in your hand, so much I have learned.
What is correct on photos, look many times awful and wrong in real life and visa versa, so much I have learned. I am also new to commission figures, but one learns going along.
As said, the figures are being made only for my own collection and the sculptor will continue with more Poles. Next group will be 6 volunteer cavalrymen for the early Jaworski Horse. Only the riders, as the horses will be Calpe horses. And much more figures for Poland 1920 will be made by same sculptor.
The figures will be sold through Siberian Miniatures, if anyone want some, again a little problematic importing to EU with VAT, custom charges and so on. If the problems become to great, an an EU agent will be found, as I personally do not want to be involved in trading, selling and sending.
As said before, this - and some other series which has been shown here, Russian officers unit attacking and different series from Ukraine 1920 (Assault on the Manor, Revolting Revolutionaries and Ukrainian different troop types from 1918-1920 - are all private projects to get figures, which I want personally. If other collectors are interested, fine, if not also fine - I do not care. It is not a commercial project, if collectors want some, fine, if not also fine.
Your different comments are all sent to the sculptors, as I find them good input, but it is up to the sculptor, if he takes head on the comments, as I want the sculptors to make their greens, as they see the world and the period.

Offline ts

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 04:45:06 AM »
One more comment, the figures will be sold singly, as long as they are produced and sold from Russia.

Offline koz10

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 05:34:34 PM »
4 inches thick and exagerrated in style. This is, to be fair, better than saying 'Old Glory posing',  'Old Glory facial characteristics' etc.

These figures aren't bad on the whole IMO, just a bit stilted.

Thanks, I see what you mean about the puttees.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 06:16:44 PM »
TS, I think your guy will improve over time, and despite how I feel about the current models I look forward to see what he will do next. Being able to buy each model in a single pack is great news. I have ordered through Siberia Miniatures before, it was a bit of a hassle with the payment through the PayPal alternative but the rest worked out quite well with fast shipping and such.

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 07:18:43 PM »
Check out: Shewchuk, Serge Michiel, "The Russo-Polish War of 1920." A better all over book than Davies' book even though it was written in 1966. It's a doctoral thesis available through interlibrary loan. I cannot find the title of the other but it's about the Konarmia and a more recent paper.

A bit tough for those of us outside the US! (University of Maryland haven't digitalised yet.)

What's the Konarmia reference? Not Stephen Brown at the University of Wollongong (which is available electronically)?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 09:42:06 AM by Mark Plant »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2011, 08:30:04 PM »
I kinda dig the fact that a Russian is sculpting Poles. Who says the winners get to write the history?  lol

Offline ts

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2011, 10:02:43 PM »
Yes, it is a little strange for a Russian to sculpt one of their arch enemies  :)
But I was not able to find any Poles willing to do the job.
And neither are many Poles interested in 1919-20, as not much or anything was taught in school about the war during the Communist period.
It is rather strange, when I have to explain Polish uniforms from the period in some of their military forums, but so little is the knowledge still on the subject.

Offline ts

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2011, 05:06:47 PM »
Here are some more pictures of Poles. Remember, the photos distort, but should the heads be too big, then smaller will be made.
At least the head size will fit Great War figures, from whose Germans can be made many Poles with some head swops.
All the figures will have loose heads.

Poles in the rogatywka used by the Poznan regiments

Poles from an assault or machine-gun unit in steel-helmets.

Poles with French helmets.

Poles with side caps

« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 05:52:49 PM by ts »

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2011, 05:22:13 PM »
Steel and Adrian helmet heads look OK.

The Rogatywka hats however look distorted and out of proportion. They should be much more flat and not as raised (almost Napoleonic era Rogatywka) as the one's on the picture. Basically flatten them by 25-40% and they should look more like the real thing. The standard bearer to the far left is the one who comes closest to looking right.

http://www.militaryheadgear.com/items/7084

I "corrected" the look and shape of the hats real quick so that you get an idea of what I mean. The hats should still have a soft fabric top that is asymmetrical but it should look a lot more "deflated".

Edit: If you can, you should also sell the heads in separate packs so people can buy them for conversion projects  ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 05:26:03 PM by Anatoli »

Offline ts

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2011, 05:38:33 PM »
You is wrong on the subject of the Polish Rogatywka, the four-cornered cap 1918-1921.
First of all, there is very little which is the "correct" uniform, when it comes to the uniforms of the period.
You can always find a photo, which show a new variation. No caps were alike.
Next the soft type worn by the WLKP (Poznan) regiments, which originated from the Polnische Wehrmacht, with the little loop ornament on the left side. These caps were higher, the Rogatywkas made for the national uniform M1919, which is the same as the model worn 1939, are those you talk about..
In the early period, or rather 1918-1921, you can find many different types of the Rogatywka. The soft was the most loved, but some flattened the tops with cardboard, other put wire inside to get a more square form, like during the Napoleonic war and so on. The little loop ornaments on the Poznan caps disappeared and the heights of the caps varied.
Pilsudski asked so mindly, if the soldiers please would use the not-soft type, but after a short period, the soft ones were in use again.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 08:01:08 PM by ts »

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2011, 07:25:09 PM »
I do love these.  Well thought out and sculpted poses, plus all the variants you could think of.  well done
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....