Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:26:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690847
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Perry Agincourt English  (Read 8073 times)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: New Perry Agincourt English
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 09:55:07 PM »
Well after seeing what some people (many here) have achieved with Perry's plastic War of the Roses figures, and with this period appealing to me more, I can't help but drool. They look fantastic, and will offer so much, just as the WotR stuff has. Plastic as a medium just allows for a lot of creativity due to how easy it is to chop and change things, etc. Added to that the cost effectiveness and you could do some seriously great medieval projects with these.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 10:05:42 PM »
Well after seeing what some people (many here) have achieved with Perry's plastic War of the Roses figures, and with this period appealing to me more, I can't help but drool. They look fantastic, and will offer so much, just as the WotR stuff has. Plastic as a medium just allows for a lot of creativity due to how easy it is to chop and change things, etc. Added to that the cost effectiveness and you could do some seriously great medieval projects with these.

That.   :D

Plus much potential for Game of Thrones style mash-ups.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

former user

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 10:18:30 PM »
OK, so it is about the syncretistic kitbashing opportunities of the fantasy medieval genre to combine with the aweseome WotR range....
well, this is certainly unusual from the point of view of historical wargamers  lol

also, it is unnerving to observe how this TV series creeps into mainstream .... with the actors even being treated like royalty in the media....
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 10:23:40 PM by bedwyr »

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 10:33:05 PM »
OK, so it is about the syncretistic kitbashing opportunities of the fantasy medieval genre to combine with the aweseome WotR range....
well, this is certainly unusual from the point of view of historical wargamers  lol

Not even remotely what I said. I mentioned the WotR stuff for how excellent it turned out to be, not because I wanted to kitbash these upcoming HYW plastics with them. That said, if there are those that want to, or those who have other fantasy-based plans for these, those are still great reasons to be excited for them, thus answering your original question.  ;)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 10:59:02 PM »

also, it is unnerving to observe how this TV series creeps into mainstream .... with the actors even being treated like royalty in the media....

I fear you have read too much into my remark.  :)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 11:01:44 PM »
I like em because they are cheaper the, lighter, easer to mod. And will now cover a wider era. I am sure the will also be compatible with the WOTR range so, there is also room to mode folks in different regions who are just not up to the current styles and fashion in warfare.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

former user

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 11:10:43 PM »
I fear you have read too much into my remark.  :)

oh definitely!

most of it is due to my observation how much this TV series already influences the perception of the middle ages - astonishing or devastating is everyone's own interpretation ....
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 06:24:06 AM by bedwyr »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 11:34:42 PM »
I will be using these for Game of Thrones mash-ups and Wars of the Roses mash-ups. Probably the only thing I won't be using them for is Agincourt to Orleans  ;)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 01:43:11 AM »
I'm conflicted, meself. These are very, very droolworthy; but for battle games - fantasy or historical - I think I'd prefer 15mm (28mm plastic still takes up the same space!) and for skirmish I might go for Claymore first.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 07:22:14 AM »
perfect archers for my Stark army
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 12:14:17 PM »
I like 'em because they're new and shiny.

Offline MattW

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 01:04:30 PM »
Is this the place for wild speculation?

What do you think will be in the French box? Pavesiers?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 01:28:43 PM »
Hmmm. Interesting question...  :)

Logically, you'd say a mixed box of Mounted knights, foot knights / sergeants and crossbowmen.

Then again, the late medieval mercenaries box already caters generously for crossbowmen and pavises - although the costume is clearly late 1400s not late 1300s / early 1400s...

And it looks like there will be knights / soldiery with hand weapons on foot (as well as longbowmen) in the English box - which could double up as French footmen.

If I had to bet, my money would be on the 'French box' being a generic mounted knights set - rather like the WOTR era generic mounted men-at-arms set.

If we're lucky though, that set might contain perhaps two rather than three frames of mounted knights, plus two frames of crossbowmen / footsoldiers...

That would seem to be the perfect combination for a French army box.

But I think it will probably just be mounted knights, 1350 - 1425.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 01:33:20 PM »
I think that the WOTR range was a spectacular success for the Perries.
They will soon have five plastic sets in total which is more than anybody expected. 

I expect that they will bring out three plastic boxes in total for the Agincourt to Orleans range.

1. English army on foot
2. Mounted Men at Arms - to use as French at Agincourt.
3. French army on foot  - to use as French for Orleans and sieges.

I suspect 1 and 2 will be out by mid 2015 to coincide with the 600th anniversary of Agincourt with box 3 following later.

Mick
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 01:37:47 PM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 11:02:07 PM »
Lovely looking sculpts - a 'medieval feast' of plastic releases on its way from the Perrys (plus a few metal packs to support them too?).  :)
My understanding of the likely release of HYW plastic boxes is as Mick has said, English followed by French (both foot figures - and mostly interchangeable of course, as well as usable for other nations...which is getting me thinking...).
Believe there's a possibility of mounted knights box, but may depend on interest in the first two?
Although Alan sculpts very fast indeed - I'd also go for 2015 releases for the anniversary.

Simon.