Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:07:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Are these real Asterix figures  (Read 3842 times)

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Are these real Asterix figures
« on: May 31, 2014, 07:03:52 PM »
While hunting out figures to sell I came across a seer of Asterix the gaul figures in a black plastic case that I bought at a sale many many years ago.

I do know some 'copies' (how polite of me) where around a few years ago and before I sell these I just want to check as they are not in any blister / box.

The three main characters:

In total the set has the following (as best as I can tell):

Asterix, Getafix, Obelix (with dogmatic in hand), Vitalstatistix, Fulliautomatix, Cacofonix, Geriatrix, Bicarbonatofsoda or Panacea (?), Unhygienix (with fish behind back) and  Impedimenta

All figures have what looks like HP 88 JO on the base and only one cast line so I feel reasonably comfortable over them.

Two odd bits though:

1) I have a small cat - same round base with something on it like THQ - not HP 88 JO at all.  It is sat down with the tail curled out.
2)  I have a single 'pirate' figure with grappling hook and rope but again with HP 88 JO

Also are they worth anything given they are not in boxes?

Andrew

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: Are these real Asterix figures
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 07:20:21 PM »
I have a full set and as far as I can tell yours appear legit.

The cat and pirate don't belong to the range AFAIK and are likely generic hobby product figures.
Here are the pirates from the range:

They are worth something, even without the boxes, should fetch you something from £5 to £7 each with some luck.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 07:29:12 PM »
Thank you for the fast response - I now think the cat may go with the Ripley Alien Loader I have also dug out...

The pirate is not one of those at all - looks more human than cartoon but does have the same base / markings.

I did not know they are worth that - I'll put them up here as a complete set I think.

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 07:44:03 PM »
I used to think they were worth something but I have seen large lots of the Asterix figures sit on one tables at the HMGS-E Flea Markets and consistently not sell, even though they had a pretty good price.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 07:46:35 PM »
I agree, they look fine.
As a long time collector of these I would say WKs estimate of £5-£7 is a bit hopeful, but as he says with some luck you could get that for them.

The Gaul figures are not particularly rare, but still sought after especially when with the picture box case and bases with them. As loose figures probably £2-£3 is more realistic.

Good luck with the sale, and don't forget the names of the supporting cast change depending on where the books were published!

I am still hunting a couple of Romans and Cleo to complete my set.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 07:49:02 PM by robh »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 05:27:10 PM »
As to value, if you're willing to go through e-bay, the value of some of these minis can be quite high. I came across several slave and Cleopatra miniatures in a closing FLGS's back stock and on Ebay I got between $15 and $40 each!  Most of them were in the blister and the Cleos got the big money, but even the Slave figures did well.

They are just the right combination of fairly rare miniatures of subject matter that still has many fans.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do with them.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 05:47:16 PM »
Yes, for some reason the Cleo figure is the "peak" of the collectors value I am not aware she was produced in limited numbers or anything to make her so much more valuable than the other parts of the Egyptian set. I still want to get a copy of her but cannot afford that sort of price.

The next in value seems to be the Alternate Obelix sculpt (the blister only one not in the box set).

I used to game with a guy who worked at Hobby and had an entire Roman army made up of the various Asterix Legion figures which he used in WRG type games.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 04:34:09 PM »
The "pirate" is most likely a rogue from the Metal Magic fantasy range. C1005k to be more exact:

Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 10:42:16 PM »
The "pirate" is most likely a rogue from the Metal Magic fantasy range. C1005k to be more exact:

Spot on thank you.  I'll now have to hunt up some more of those sweet figures  :o

Any one want to trade a set of Asterix figures  lol ??? lol

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 08:02:39 AM »
Any one want to trade a set of Asterix figures  lol ??? lol

What are you after?  :D

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 09:37:40 AM »
Spot on thank you.  I'll now have to hunt up some more of those sweet figures  :o
You could do worse than checking out midlam miniatures who hold the molds for a lot of the old Metal Magic stuff Megaminis used to do.

Thieves available here:
http://www.midlamminiatures.co.uk/thieves.html
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 09:39:27 AM by phreedh »