Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:41:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Taking a break from the hobby?  (Read 5207 times)

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
Taking a break from the hobby?
« on: June 05, 2014, 11:00:17 AM »
I am considering taking a break from the hobby (Lack of motivation, other hobby of classic cars and probably a particularly bad couple of years), my question is should I clear house and sell all my stuff or should I pack it away for a while.  I haven't made a conscious decision to take a break before so just after your thoughts.  Thanks

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
Re: Taking a break from the hobby?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 11:04:02 AM »
I'd say definitely just pack it down - I've sold lots of what, at the time, I've thought was 'excess' stuff, only to regret doping so later.
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline petercooman123

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 11:04:33 AM »
Don't clear house!

I did the same a few years back, and there is still stuff i regret of selling now! Especiially fully painted and ready to play armies, if you get back in, you are going to be happy to have something to use right away!

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 11:05:54 AM »
I sold lots of stuff during the nineties when i had a break from the hobby.
Dont do that. You regret it later when you start again. Keep your stuff.
Cheers
Björn
, ,

Offline starkadder

• Mad Scientist
  • I'm just going outside...
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 11:09:10 AM »
Pack it away for a period that you define. (one, two, five years - whatever)
Review it occasionally. See how you feel.

Get rid of stuff that doesn't give you a memory. It will probably never be used anyway.

I took a break of ten years and when I returned I had a little "seed" to build from (unpainted figures, terrain, etc).
It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think - Emma Goldman

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 11:42:16 AM »
Flying against the herd here...

If the break included significant economic factors or physical (say, from a split in relationship/marriage and hence inadequate storage space for a long period while you rebuild your world) then selling is an option to consider.

As for multiple years, well my old 25 mm figures are 'too small" in today's miniature world for some people so it's a crap shoot if your figures will be what you want in the future.

Keep the core stuff if there is a reasonable chance you will "return" and sell the rest is certainly an option but make sure this is not a knee jerk emotional response to whatever motivates you to leave.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 12:20:40 PM »
Thanks guys.  Its not an economic factor so it may well be next just to pack things up for a while.  Its really a feeling that the hobby has given me more downs then ups and having tried various things (Inc Kickstarters which were a bad idea)  to get my enjoyment back I think an absence of the hobby will do that.  As its nearly summer I should be able to send more time outside (In the rain) and get back into things in the winter.  I will no doubt keeping checking this forum as it is probably the most enjoyable part of the hobby for me at the moment.

I will have to take stock of what I have got and may sell some of the newer stuff but I will keep my older stuff as I find the older stuff more enjoyable.  I have to say that the new plastic boxes that have come out have actually lessened my enjoyment.  I find all the parts to fiddly and annoying to out together  o_o

Thanks all

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 12:20:51 PM »
I say give it a year. Then get the hobby stuff out and see if you want to keep any of it.

I go through phases where I'm spending my free time on different things because my interest waxes and wanes and is drawn in different directions all the time. If there's a pile of books or mins I haven't bothered with in years I then try to get rid of them. It's a cleansing experience, but only because I wait until I'm pretty sure I won't miss the stuff I eject.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 12:26:08 PM »
I say give it a year. Then get the hobby stuff out and see if you want to keep any of it.

I go through phases where I'm spending my free time on different things because my interest waxes and wanes and is drawn in different directions all the time. If there's a pile of books or mins I haven't bothered with in years I then try to get rid of them. It's a cleansing experience, but only because I wait until I'm pretty sure I won't miss the stuff I eject.

Sound advice that pretty much sums up what we all said.  Let emotions settle then evaluate and getting an honest (not a "friend's sympathetic") opinion from any other gamers you feel close to (not just we LAFers) may give you perspective too.  Too often we alternate between hoarding stuff we bought on a lark and throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 12:37:56 PM »
Things come and go.

I've had multiple breaks over the years. This is one hobby I've always come back, though others I have left for good (at least so far).

Don't get rid of stuff immediately. Pack it away and consider selling/donating it at a later date. Especially stuff you've worked on! I find I don't mind selling off unpainted lead but I can't bear parting with stuff I've painted. I'd rather give it as a gift to someone who will appreciate than sell it to someone who will just strip it...

Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 03:35:13 PM »
I've also got a car hobby (and being Alfa Romeo's they take a bit o' cash to keep going!! - NO WISE CRACKS  :-[).

Nothing beats top down driving but is a summer hobby and the in Winter the car hibernate's and then what will you do if you've sold all your stuff?

I decided to pack in my regular club of more years than I can remember and do my own thing, potter away with a 28mm vanity project or two and game what I want, when I want. I feel better for it and enjoy the higher quality games I do play, than the low grade cross table 2 hr club games which would never really get resolved properly. Its your hobby, do it the way you want.

Sometimes you need a change, but you'll always be a wargamer!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 11:43:20 PM »
Hey mate,I'm in a similar boat(right down to the classic cars ;)), keep your stuff,have a break; they will still be there when you get the bug again. Life is too short...

PS Should I add a Bugeye Sprite or a Sunbeam Alpine to my (1/1) collection?

May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 06:23:04 AM »
Nothing beats top down driving but is a summer hobby and the in Winter the car hibernate's and then what will you do if you've sold all your stuff?

Top down is the way to go!

I switched to MX-5 when I got tired of fixing my Porsche and haven't regretted a single second of it...

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 06:42:53 AM »
Hey mate,I'm in a similar boat(right down to the classic cars ;)), keep your stuff,have a break; they will still be there when you get the bug again. Life is too short...

PS Should I add a Bugeye Sprite or a Sunbeam Alpine to my (1/1) collection?

It would be a Sunbeam Alpine for me.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 06:49:09 AM »
I'd say definitely just pack it down - I've sold lots of what, at the time, I've thought was 'excess' stuff, only to regret doping so later.

I agree with this. I dropped the hobby about 8 years ago picked it back up only a couple of years later and regretted a lot of the sales.