Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:18:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My Saga - First Chapter: Vikings -- Update 2nd July: Hirdmen on Page 2  (Read 4298 times)

Offline Monty

• Scientist
    • Monty's Caravan Blog
Re: My Saga - First Chapter: Vikings
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 08:31:40 AM »
Next for the Hirdmen...

With my Saga starter box came two units of hearthguard. One with usual hirdmen and one with a couple of berserkers. Actually I painted them before the warlord but I found it more logical to present them after their leader...

Here we go:
The miniatures are by Gripping Beast and belong to their nice range of Saga figures. Actually I like them a lot although the sculpts are slightly old-fashioned. They are rather dynamic and have excellently detailed faces. Their hands are a bit tricky because the weapons have to be glued inside. On the one hand that seems a bit unfirm but on the other hand it offers the chance to equip the guys individually. As Hirdmen they are kind of elite warriors and so I wanted to have them different from the Bondi which are mostly equipped with spears so I gave them swords and a two-handed axe.
Very exciting to paint were the faces of the figures. They've been sculpted with a lot of expression and fine detail in them. So it wasn't too hard to work out the eyes, the beards their hair. The tunics are rather plain so for the gifted painter they present lots of space for freehand sketches. I didn’t dare to experiment too much there so I left it at some careful braids in contrasting colours. The result really encourages me to try more patterns from now on.

As usual I painted the figures with Vallejo Model Colours and shaded them with Armypainter Quickshade (Dark Tone). The fine artworks on the shield are decals from Stephen Hales' Little Big Men Studios. For the bases I used my habitual combination of sand, static grass and tufts.

On the blog there are some more detail pictures of the boys. If interested then look here.
Please visit my blog: Monty's Caravan

former user

congratulations to the new family member!

nicely sculpted and painted :D

Offline Monty

• Scientist
    • Monty's Caravan Blog
congratulations to the new family member!

nicely sculpted and painted :D
Many thanks, Eymard.
For both the comment about the miniatures and the good wishes.    ;)

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
Nice work!  :-*

I hope you'll do a group photo of the warband when their all finished!

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
superb stuff  8)