Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:58:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Denison tute  (Read 4174 times)

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Denison tute
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 08:31:08 PM »
Hmmm. Mine's got the elasticated knitted cuffs...

The MkI had the elasticated ribbed knitted cuffs, but I'm not sure if later models did as well. I can check in my lovely sourcebook if you like to check what to look for.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 09:17:52 PM »
Yeah, thanks Cubs. be interested to know... Sorry to derail the thread...
I picked mine up from Silverman's army surplus in the Mile End Road in 1978. I assumed it was more recent than WW2 - more likely a relic of Bloody Sunday than Arnhem, but who knows...
To be honest, it's been in a chest in the garage for the last 20 years. Must dig it out and take a couple of pics...
Might be useful first hand colour reference for the camo I suppose...

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 09:13:41 AM »
I have one with elasticated cuffs too! I bought it about 3 years ago at an army surplus store here in 'West Wales'. I assumed it was a post-war Belgian copy, but now you've got me thinking!
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2014, 09:38:24 PM »
Oh bum, I forgot about checking. I'll do that tomorrow.

I do remember that one thing you can see with the MkI Denison, other than the cuffs, is that the camo pattern often looks slap-dash and like it's just been randomly splashed on with a brush. That's because it was. Later Mk's had a regulated pattern printed onto the fabric.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 12:19:43 PM »
Okay, book open in front of me. Other than the randomly pattern applied with a big brush and the elasticated cuffs, which we've already talked about, other features of the MkI Denison are -

- a half steel zip going to the base of the chest (sometimes converted to go full length),

- two internal pockets, four external pockets (with brass snaps),

- the 'ape tail' crotch flap sewn at the back and secured with brass snaps at the front (although these were sometimes removed by owners for comfort after the jump),

- the base colour is more yellowy and sandy than later Mks, due to its use in North Africa and Sicily.

I hope this helps. Of course, if it's dated 1942 on the sizing label, then it's definitely a MkI (or a fake MkI, in which case you're on your own).