Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:22:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Insula Romana  (Read 6623 times)

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
Re: Insula Romana
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 10:05:29 AM »
like the latrine complex.

i'll add one to mine.  :D
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline Carpathian

• Bookworm
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2016, 04:51:48 AM »
Ran the game again the other day.    Additions; some new roof terraces, using "California missions" paper, an improved public toilet (thank you Eric :)), and some plastic animals.

Offline Richard in Sachsen

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2016, 09:27:44 AM »
Truly, truly fantastic!!!!! :-*

I've got one of the Najewitz buildings to try out. I really like it. They're around 25 Euro a piece. But I really, really like your handmade stuff, especially the tiled floor on the open building - looks better than a lot of store bought stuff.

My own city is half done. I'm using the Grand Manner Harian's wall and Mile Castle set for the walls. I shelled out some bucks for four double-gate pieces as Grand Manner quit making them in May to make room for new stuff but they were critical for my city. I have to save for another Hadrian wall and mile castle set as one set is only about half the city. That gives me a couple of more barracks and stable buildings to finish the military quarter as well. I think seven more Najewitz buildings will fill two residential/market quarters and the Curtsey's Romano-British Church will fill out the governmental/administrative quarter. No one seems to make a commander's/governor's mansion that goes in the middle of Roman cities, so that looks like it will be a hand-made project.

Note that the doors on the Najewitz models are slightly smaller than Grand Manner, but I don't think that is such a big deal when everything is put together.

One thing I've been thinking about doing is the city streets. My idea is to take MDF boards, 2x2 or whatever best fits the layout, and covering them with plastic cobblestone sheeting and painting accordingly. Then just placing the buildings on top of that. That makes them modular like the rest of the city and walls and will allow different sized cities.

My idea was to have enough pieces to make a large city like Köln, York, cities on the Danube, or even a fort like Chester. That way one can also make smaller cities according to scenario.

I really like your city, keep the updates coming!
You go to war with the figures you have, not the figures you wish you had!

Offline Carpathian

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2016, 12:07:23 AM »
Thanks.   I based the designs on various ideas taken from google images.   Particularly this one

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=985&q=roman+insula&oq=roman+insula&gs_l=img.1.0.0l3j0i30k1j0i5i30k1l2j0i8i30k1l3j0i24k1.4886.9264.0.11388.12.12.0.0.0.0.170.1284.3j8.11.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..1.11.1267.pp5lEZQc_fU

Buildings are cut from Strathmore 400 Series Watercolor paper, which is tough stuff, more durable than cardboard, and has a plaster-like texture.  I suppose the table represents one of the districts that grew up outside of the original city walls of Rome, where the Collegia were more of a force than the Cohortes Urbanae...  Might still want to do a section of aquaduct, some docks along the Tiber, a section of the Servian wall, more street-scene stuff ...   Definitely think modular is the way to go.

Look forward to seeing your provincial city!

Offline Richard in Sachsen

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2016, 10:46:11 AM »
Here is what I have: unpainted and half collected. This is only one half of the city walls and I need to save for another Hardrian's Wall and Mile Castle set to complete it. With substitutions, I don't need any more gates but wall pieces and towers.

My latrine... is kinda dirty, need to find a trooper for latrine duty

His is a bird's-eye view. The Roman roads won't go in the city but it gives an idea of how I am laying it out and dividing it into four quarters

Another bird's eye view from a different angle. The gaps in the wall is where I need to place towers, two per wall.

Here is the Najewitz building I bought, I probably need seven more (he has four different models) to fill out two quarters

Another angle of the military quarter

This is a Roman traveler's rest but it can proxy as the govenor's mansion, especially in an Arthurian scenario as it is a bit run-down.

And someone needs to muck the stalls for the governor... probably the same poor sap who needs to clean the latrine!

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2016, 12:23:36 PM »
hey,

Well done Carpathian !
i see you are back in town ! Just like me after a little break in my Rome Project.

Richard, it's seem to me that you are going in a very big project. Hope you can complete it in a near future. I need some inspiration for mine.   lol lol lol lol

cheers
Eric

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2016, 01:54:48 PM »
Wow! Very impressive but also looks time and cost effective. Nice work.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2016, 02:32:03 AM »
Leven have added some rather pretty 6mm Roman stuff to their range, if anyone's interested. I use it with my 10mm ancients.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.