Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:06:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warband: Goalsystem Fantasy Skirmish [Official Game Title Changed - 7/7/14]  (Read 29845 times)

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
Re: Goalsystem Fantasy Skirmish
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2014, 05:41:43 PM »
So can we expect to see most of the standard fantasy species includes or will we have to build most ourselves?  How about animals like dire wolves or giant rats? I assume those can be built as retainers

Yes!  The current plan has a bunch of humanoid races as options for Classed characters and retainers. This includes monstrous races like Kobolds, Goblins, Orcs, Gnolls, etc.

There will be an optional section for much higher cost races like Mind Flayers, Ogres, Ogre Mages, Dragons (young ones only for characters), Hags, etc. One of these types could be ideal as the leader of a monstrous band, but you'll pay more dearly for him.

Then I will have a separate chapter called A Manual Of Monsters which will include a nice selection of creatures less suited to being characters: Owlbears, Trolls, Giant Rats, Slimes, etc.

Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2014, 05:44:30 PM »
Also, there's this Special Trait:

Beast Companion
The character has a medium sized animal or monster companion who serves as a loyal ally in battle.
Effects:  The companion possesses the following profile:

Beast Companion
Agility 4 Strength 4 Mind 1 Resolve 3
Move: 8”  Vitality 2  [  ]  [  ]
CCA: 4D  CCD: 5D  RA: -  RD: 4D
MA: -  MD: 3D
Traits: Sharp Senses +2D, Natural Attack DN5
Cost: 10 pts. (Druids & Rangers) ; 15 pts. (all other classes)

Offline Nikdo

• Assistant
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2014, 06:15:45 PM »
There's something to be said about having everything in one book.  I like the type of game you are describing and I encourage you to stick to your vision and put out the type of game you like to play. I think you'll find others want to play that too.  I know I do.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2014, 06:34:15 PM »
There's something to be said about having everything in one book.  I like the type of game you are describing and I encourage you to stick to your vision and put out the type of game you like to play. I think you'll find others want to play that too.  I know I do.

Thanks!  Where possible I will bend my vision to follow what folks want. I think once we get into play-testing a bit folks will provide me lots of good feedback. 

I really wanted to integrate what I consider to be the much more flavorful and fulfilling Delves campaign system, and I have done that. Now we have to make sure it works Ok with the slightly different structure of modified B&B.  I think it will.

Only games will tell, though!

Offline Nikdo

• Assistant
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2014, 06:39:07 PM »
Sounds good.  Looking forward to taking it for a spin.

Is this the only place where you are discussing your game or should we be checking somewhere else too?

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2014, 06:48:24 PM »
Sounds good.  Looking forward to taking it for a spin.

Is this the only place where you are discussing your game or should we be checking somewhere else too?

This is pretty much it. LAF is my oasis of miniature sanity online. I really treasure this site and the folks who post here!

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2014, 09:31:52 PM »
I think you'll find others want to play that too.

Yarp!

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2014, 09:40:21 PM »
I'm sure you dont want to recreate Delve since you've already published that game and didnt intend this as a 2nd ed.  My reason for thinking the added bit of 9 seperate classes, especially since you said it would only be chosen once, would retain the most feel for AD&D, even if the rest turned into a more straight up skirmish.  The idea of skirmishing with a distinct Paladin from a Ranger I think is just fantastic.  While I see the tables as a great easy way for added skills, the core of each class could be a straight level + power arrangement.  Just some thoughts!  Either way, it sounds like a ton of fun so far and I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with this. :D
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline deathjester25

• Scientist
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2014, 02:33:47 PM »
Wow you are really covering everything I could want in a fantasy skirmish game.

Offline Davian

• Schoolboy
    • My Blog in french Davian's Projects
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2014, 03:25:49 PM »
Sounds great so far and I'm looking forward to it! (was looking for a decent fantasy skirmish system to use my upcoming bones II and the other minis I allready have!)

But, I think something of better organisation for equipment was lacking in B&B as well as a table for weapons.

Here more than ever for clarity purpose it would be great if the equipment were organised by type (ie weapons, armors, miscellaneous plus any other that would be needed).

A table for weapons would help a lot, even in appendix. And too, make some weapon traits if some weapons share the same abilities, it'll help a lot remember them (more helpful to know my flail has something like flexible like the whip and stunning like the hammer, than going to see each time the special properties of my flail and then discover they are shared with other weapons)

And even if we can buy magic stuff at the warband creation, I would prefer having the magical stuff separate from the mundane one. Will help allowing players who choose not to begin with magic stuff for their games/campaigns.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2014, 07:18:07 PM »
We can use tables and split stuff up no prob! 

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2014, 12:59:25 PM »
Ok, as of this morning, I have done the following:

-- Split Special Traits into 3 sections: Abilities (traits "normal" folks could have), Powers (supernatural abilities like a Dragon's breath weapon), Magical Spells (attacks and effects usable by spell casting Classes).  This will allow folks to more easily run low-powered campaigns that miss out Powers, Spells, or both. 

-- Split magic items from normal items.

I also may split normal items from normal weapons.

More as I think of it!

Offline Davian

• Schoolboy
    • My Blog in french Davian's Projects
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2014, 01:10:35 PM »
Yeah! Thanks, that's exactly the kind of things that'll help players a lot to build their own campaigns and games!

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2014, 04:57:01 PM »
Anybody want to take a stab at making a Warband roster sheet for play-testing?

Here's what it needs:

===============================================================================
Player Name:_______________________    Warband Name:_______________________

Leader

Name:____________  Race:_____________ Class:__________________

CCA:________   CCD:___________   RA:________   RD:__________

MA:_______    MD:_______

Move:________       Fate:________    Vitality:_____ [  ]  [  ]  [  ]  [  ] [  ]

Special Traits

Experience:____________

Warrior

Special Traits

Warrior

Special Traits

Warrior

Special Traits

============================================================================================

Perhaps if this was 2 column we could get 6 on one 8.5" x 11" sheet? 

Any takers? 

Thanks!

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2014, 06:17:36 PM »
I could not resist adding a fourth advance chart for folks to roll on!  lol

Weird Bumps
Less about building characteristics and more about fantastic strangeness, these bumps all rely on a successful 2+ Chance Roll before each battle to work. Some results may also require you to exhaust Fate. Roll on this table if your character does not mind a carriage ride with Lady Luck!

Roll 1D6
1 Dimension Door: Gain a free move after battle setup, or a save this ability to escape one close combat with no free attacks during the battle--place yourself up to your Move distance away from the close combat you escaped from.

2 Godly Favor: You may ignore the gods, but they sometimes smile on you! Once per battle re-roll a DR check that would otherwise result in a KO. Priests may Exhaust 1 Fate to do this a second time each battle!

3 Unexpected Ally: Exhaust 1 Fate. You and your warband gain an unforeseen ally’s assistance during the battle. Use the stats for the Animal Companion or a character of similar quality for the ally.

4 Spectacular Death: When you suffer a close combat attack that KO’s you, Burn 1 Fate and make an immediate counterattack goal roll against every model in base contact. Once the attack is resolved you’re removed from play as if by Coup de Grace. During post-battle you must make an unmodified 1D6 - 3 roll on the Injury table in order to survive.

5 Inspire Allies: At any point during the round Exhaust 1 Fate to give a nearby ally a +1D bonus on any attack or defense goal roll. Bards may Exhaust 2 Fate to grant a +2D bonus!

6 Rich Patron: You’ve caught the eye of a wealthy patron. Provided you survive the battle, he or she grants +1 to your PWS during the Upkeep phase.