Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:12:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wargamer & Re-enactor?  (Read 17286 times)

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Re: Wargamer & Re-enactor?
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2014, 12:50:25 PM »
Hello all

Katsuhiko JiNNai, the problem with the iron hobnails is that when you walk in certain terrain they will make you slip. They are very usefull in broken ground but dangerous in plain terrain.
Roman reenactors can tell you better than me.

Michi, when we reenact for some years we tend to learn how to make most equipment. Its fun and a way of spare some money. :D

Cheers

Rui

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2014, 01:42:30 PM »
I am impressed Michi. Are you a cobbler? always wondered about the shoes and now I know.

next question is are they comfy despite the lack of gripping?

The lack of gripping isn't much of an issue - but for comfyness, most ante 1600 shoes need felt soles inside, as even the smallest pepple will be felt through the sole. A single layer of boiled leather just isn't enough  lol
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2014, 02:01:02 PM »
The lack of gripping isn't much of an issue - but for comfyness, most ante 1600 shoes need felt soles inside, as even the smallest pepple will be felt through the sole. A single layer of boiled leather just isn't enough  lol

But that is because we have grown soft. Humans are from nature designed to walk barefeet (berefoot) I can never remember witch is correct..

And the slipperyness is also minimalised if you change your walking style. Modern footwear has soft heels so we tend to walk heel to toe. But with medieval shoes it is much better to walk to to heel. If that makes any sense at all. It is also better for your knees and back to walk this way. Than the high impact of heel to toe walking.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2014, 02:17:22 PM »
But that is because we have grown soft. Humans are from nature designed to walk barefeet (berefoot) I can never remember witch is correct..

And the slipperyness is also minimalised if you change your walking style. Modern footwear has soft heels so we tend to walk heel to toe. But with medieval shoes it is much better to walk to to heel. If that makes any sense at all. It is also better for your knees and back to walk this way. Than the high impact of heel to toe walking.

Just like native americans (used to) and animals do. And I think it's barefoot  ;)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2014, 11:26:52 PM »
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2014, 10:56:49 AM »
John Lambert's

I was in Meldrum's Dragoons, London Brigade.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2014, 11:50:08 AM »
Fallshirmjager late war 1944

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 12:05:46 PM by majorsmith »

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2014, 12:12:59 PM »
Fallshirmjager late war 1944

Impressive, have your group some armored cars of tanks? Here in italy most of the IIWW groups have some trucks or motorcyles, but some few have tanks too (and italian tanks or tankettes are really rare)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2014, 05:43:12 PM »
I was in Meldrum's Dragoons, London Brigade.

I often used to drink with "Panda" Jenkins from Meldrums - he spent a lot of time at our regimental events.

former user

« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2014, 05:47:50 PM »
hmm, I would guess that the hardcore progressive reeanactors are the ones who cut their hair according to the contemporary fashion they represent. Have rarely seen such and probably never done that myself...

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2014, 12:55:35 AM »
hmm, I would guess that the hardcore progressive reeanactors are the ones who cut their hair according to the contemporary fashion they represent. Have rarely seen such and probably never done that myself...

Funny enough there's a good half dozen people I know at work who have no interest in wargaming or history, but who seem to be sporting classic 1940's soldaten haircuts. The vagaries of fashion, I suppose!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2014, 04:05:08 PM »
For events I would style my hair a little more in the way you would expect, but having seen late war german haircuts from studying slot of photos you would be surprised at the lengths and styles you would not expect from a german soldier! Also facial hair! Of some length almost pirate like!

former user

« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2014, 06:10:16 PM »
would like to see those

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2014, 05:01:39 AM »
For events I would style my hair a little more in the way you would expect, but having seen late war german haircuts from studying slot of photos you would be surprised at the lengths and styles you would not expect from a german soldier! Also facial hair! Of some length almost pirate like!

Had the war continued beyond 1945, the German landser would almost certainly have fielded the classic Teutonic mullet. A team of German scientists and hairdressers were working on it at the end of the war. As it was, this 'wonder weapon' would wait another forty years before its widespread adoption in the fatherland. As an interesting aside, the widespread Allied  bombing of the  production facilities for the V-2 rocket left Germany with an excess of peroxide, which in turn found its way into the classic übermensch look.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2014, 05:36:04 PM »
Here's a few period photos the chap removing his helmet with the beard is in Normandy  July 44, to be fair cutting your hair for a two or three day event is pretty extreme! If it's under head wear you don't tend to notice as much :)