Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:42:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690988
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Double Dipping Monks  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Double Dipping Monks
« on: July 01, 2014, 07:18:11 PM »
I would like to create some Martial Monks and Monks of the Star Gods (in 15/18 mm but that is another thread on the Far East sub-forum...) companies for IHMN (Reaper has some great ones in "larger" size) but can I ideally use the same figures interchangeably for both companies?  Yes, it is VSF but are the robes significantly different that anyone but a purist grognard would notice from "3 feet" (table viewing distance) away??

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Bren

• Bookworm
Re: Double Dipping Monks
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 11:36:24 PM »
I'm don't quite follow you there Conquistador. Are you looking for only 15/18 mm or both 15/18 mm and 28mm?

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 12:07:32 AM »
I'm don't quite follow you there Conquistador. Are you looking for only 15/18 mm or both 15/18 mm and 28mm?

Rewind.

Will using "Chinese" looking monks that I see on the Reaper web site for the Marital Monks look odd if I also use them for the Tibetan Monks of the Star Gods in a different game?

Following up:

I am open to more of the "large" figures like Reaper (which I will go with initially) since (so far) no one has suggested any figures in 15/18 mm on the other thread - which I would prefer.  Feel free to chime in on that thread with 15/18 mm sources. 

Reaper as my 28 mm source pretty much covered for a Martial Monks Company but can I use them as Tibetan monks for the Monks of the Star Gods Company or are Tibetan monks dressed significantly different?

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 01:59:30 AM »
Here is a Google search for "Tibetan Monks"

http://www.google.com/search?q=tibetan+monks&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=-lezU7O6OpOpyASh3IGwDA&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=1250&bih=577

and here for Buddhist Monks:

http://www.google.com/search?q=tibetan+monks&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=-lezU7O6OpOpyASh3IGwDA&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=1250&bih=577#q=Buddhist+Monks&rls=en&safe=off&tbm=isch

I really don't see a lot of difference that would show up at 28 or 15 mm size.  Am I missing something?  I believe that Tibetan Monks are a flavor of Buddhist Monks (well, the Monks of The Star Gods might be "more than Buddhist") but I am going to work on the basis that hey most likely dress similarly unless someone points out gross differences that I am missing...

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 06:55:56 AM »
Monks of the Star Gods are not Buddhists, though they come from the same monastic culture. Personally I would represent them by painting them in a different base colour. However, as long as your opponent knows that they are Monks of the Star Gods it doesn't actually matter.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 11:09:34 AM »
Monks of the Star Gods are not Buddhists, though they come from the same monastic culture. Personally I would represent them by painting them in a different base colour. However, as long as your opponent knows that they are Monks of the Star Gods it doesn't actually matter.

I thought about the base color but then I couldn't use the same figure.   lol  I would have to see how similar the points for a Master and/or Abbot, Monks x 3, Initiates x 5 for the Monks of the Star Gods (plus abilities) - "pretty much the "anti-mystics" - works out for Martial Monks (Abbot, Master, Disciples x 5, Students x 5 plus 70 points of mystical powers and/or Bixie/Pixiu/Qiln.)  if only "Humans"  then about 9 to 13 figures each...

The challenge alone to assemble a thematic set of two (using interchangeable figures) companies (w/o falling victim to min/max urges) is worth the book.  Thanks Craig and company.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 11:12:19 AM »
Monks of the Star Gods are not Buddhists, though they come from the same monastic culture. <snip>

Thanks, I know some Asian cultures/individuals follow more than one faith so I was unsure if the Monks of the Star Gods were 'dual hatted' (pun unintended) as Buddhists and the Star Gods or not.

Edit: worded weakly but I think the point was made without stereotyping.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Bren

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 12:21:53 PM »
I honestly can't see anyone having any issues with the style of robes on your models. As far as I know, the Dalai Lama isn't in to VSF (his loss) and anybody else's opinion is of little consequence.

You could even go for more of a Shaolin monk look if you wished to.

Link: CP Models Miniatures