Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:53:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Onwards & upwards!  (Read 6864 times)

Offline copeab

• Bookworm
Re: Onwards & upwards!
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 03:38:37 PM »
Speaking of Elves I think IHMN would make a wonderful Fantasy skirmish system. Better once iron out my campaign model (different from Craig's likely not better though).

Heh. 'Elves' and 'iron'.
Brandon

Offline ant1clock

• Assistant
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 05:59:01 PM »
My copies on its way from Amazon (runs around living room with pants on his head and two pencils up his nose, making tank noises).

Looking forward to this big time.

ant1clock

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 06:09:13 PM »
Speaking of Elves I think IHMN would make a wonderful Fantasy skirmish system. Better once iron out my campaign model (different from Craig's likely not better though).

You might think that but we could not possibly comment  :)
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Irishrover13

• Scientist
  • Most of what I say is lost in translation.
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 07:07:04 PM »
You might think that but we could not possibly comment  :)

I am throwing together an alternative campaign type based on controlling certain parts of a city, county or mountain range. The map will be broken into sections which will give small bonus for the long term campaign, for example controlling the Tribal village would allow you to hire at regular point cost a couple warriors or a witch doctor.  In addition each team having one or more objectives to complete on the campaign map, perhaps capture the gold mine or find a certain artifact. I am trying to use the KISS principle but this type of campaign is going to be more complex and it is likely not for everyone. Regardless it is coming along nicely.
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 07:19:28 PM »
Have you ever heard of the board game called Junta!?

Here are some links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junta_(game)
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/61699/official-english-rules
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/3386/junta-cards-pdf

In this game you had to collect certain cards that gave you influence of certain parts of society and their resources as well as win districts in the capital city. I always though it would be a great basis for a campaign...

Offline Irishrover13

• Scientist
  • Most of what I say is lost in translation.
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 08:02:13 PM »
Have you ever heard of the board game called Junta!?

Here are some links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junta_(game)
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/61699/official-english-rules
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/3386/junta-cards-pdf

In this game you had to collect certain cards that gave you influence of certain parts of society and their resources as well as win districts in the capital city. I always though it would be a great basis for a campaign...

Neat. I have never heard of it before but it looks like it might have some ideas I may incorporate.

My test Campaign is set in and around the fable city of Shambhala in Tibet. The main Campaign focus is on obtaining or keeping others from getting full control of the city. Some territories include: Grove of Life and Wisdom (Contains the trees that have the peaches of immortality) which let one named character buy Immortal Trait with resources. The Yeti cave which lets you recruit a single Yeti at cost, if you lose the cave you lose the Yeti. Sherpa Village which lets you buy sherpas (Gurka guides) at cost. Gold mines, silver mines and taverns which generates 15,10 and 5 resource points a round, your starting territory also provides 20-35 points a turn. Resource points are points are used to buy new recruits, equipment and territory upgrades. 

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 08:05:50 PM »
Sounds very interesting. Keep us in the loop on this one  :D

Offline vsfguthroth

• Librarian
  • Literature ends in 1100 after that it's just books
    • My IHMN East Africa Blog
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 12:52:15 PM »
My SDRS is due to be delivered by Amazon today, so I will be able to read through it over the weekend.

It's a bit early to be 100% certain, but IHMN appears to have caused a significant change in my gaming habits. VSF has always been of interest to me, but large figure skirmish games always left me cold, until I found IHMN ....

Suddenly I find I have 3 completed companies (East African), 1 being painted (Gothic), another on the shelf and advanced plans to purchase my 6th one next week (both UK/European based).

Collecting companies for the game appears to be addictive – Damn You Sir !!

Scenery is needed as well of course, hence the Jungle setting to start with, but I now have an array of buildings (more cost) and I am working on a board with roads pre painted to use as a base for urban games.

On top of that, I can’t help but wonder about using the IHMN for earlier periods such as Prehistoric/Caveman games. I have even committed to a Kickstarter offering models of large prehistoric beasts with a view to running a series of 'Lost World' -type games later in the year. Off topic a bit, but not as bad as one of my clubmates who was heard to wonder how well the basic system would handle Napoleonic skirmish games ....

Onwards and Upwards ? Downhill to penury for me I suspect ....  :o

Nevertheless, it's a great system, and the authors deserve great praise for it.
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.”
W.S. Churchill

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2014, 02:59:08 PM »
SDRS shipped on the 17th from Amazon, was received yesterday, the 19th, via standard shipping.

Have been reading the book since its release on my Kindle, and am well pleased with everything, especially the wealth of new Talents and Mystic Powers. Reduced cost for limited Mystic Powers? Superb!

However.

Recycling artwork from the first book into SDRS?

:o 

I am shocked. Shocked.
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2014, 04:16:37 PM »
Mine not here yet, probably while at Die Con today...   ::)

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2014, 04:29:16 PM »
did you see Rob Lee's Light Dragoons under Player-Authored Material?
Doug

You mean someone read it?  :D
I like that. Makes me wonder if I should have sold my rules after all... o_o

Offline Blofeld

• Scientist
    • Frontline armchair
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2014, 05:08:41 PM »
I'm trying to adapt the rules at the moment for a Zombie Apocalypse style game. The superb character creation system in IHMN makes it pretty easy to create survivors and the weapons making rules are simply brilliant for making modern weapons. I hope that some of the heralded adaptation packs are made, this game is too good to only use for one period.
Thanks
Blofeld

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2014, 02:29:15 AM »
Mine not here yet, probably while at Die Con today...   ::)

Gracias,

Glenn

Nope, maybe tomorrow...

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2014, 08:19:39 AM »

I refer the honourable member to the Junior Minister for Publication Mr Smith  ;)

Offline copeab

• Bookworm
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2014, 04:17:11 PM »

At leadt it had arteork ;) Took me a couple of days to resaize what was missing from HVF.

Right now, my only teo quibbles (both minor) is treating the katsna as a regular sword and no Indian figure using the chakram.

I like the new complications, but I'm not sure how I'd randomly plave the <thingie> from 7.1. I could either roll a d36 twice (assuming a standard table) and treat as the X,Y coordinates, or just drop a cardboard marker from above the table.