Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:10:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: In Her Majesty's Name: the RPG?  (Read 2265 times)

Offline copeab

• Bookworm
In Her Majesty's Name: the RPG?
« on: June 18, 2014, 07:17:49 PM »
No, I know this will not officially happen and I'm not sure if there are even that man IHMN players who are that interested.

I think the core mechanics are fine for a simple RPG. Really, such RPGs rules would just be to cover actions not in combat (negotiations, repair, etc.) These could be handled as Pluck rolls, with a cheap Talent for each profession (eg, 3 points if the profession has no combat overlap, such as journalist, or 1 point if many aspects are already part of other Talents, such as soldier).

There would be two general modifiers, +2 for an easy task and -2 for a hard one.

There are a few other considerations, but the IHMN core rules already lay most of the groundwork.
Brandon

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
Re: In Her Majesty's Name: the RPG?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 10:14:38 PM »
No, I know this will not officially happen and I'm not sure if there are even that man IHMN players who are that interested.

I think the core mechanics are fine for a simple RPG. Really, such RPGs rules would just be to cover actions not in combat (negotiations, repair, etc.) These could be handled as Pluck rolls, with a cheap Talent for each profession (eg, 3 points if the profession has no combat overlap, such as journalist, or 1 point if many aspects are already part of other Talents, such as soldier).

There would be two general modifiers, +2 for an easy task and -2 for a hard one.

There are a few other considerations, but the IHMN core rules already lay most of the groundwork.

It would probably be a fairly major overhaul to make an RPG out of the game.

Might I suggest you give Space: 1889 a look? You could transplant the background from IHMN if you are particularly fond of it.

MM.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 05:24:04 AM »

You might think that but we could not possibly comment.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline copeab

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 05:32:43 AM »
You might think that but we could not possibly comment.

Your vague comments greatly interest me, sir.

;)

Offline copeab

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 05:40:29 AM »

I think at worst figures would require two sets of information.

Might I suggest you give Space: 1889 a look? You could transplant the background from IHMN if you are particularly fond of it.

Yes, I have S1889, but I'm not really fond of the mechanics. I do have two games in mind (out of several I have) I could use the IHMN background with..v

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 11:50:52 AM »

MM.

It was a good game for it's time but being iconic gives it a patina that is emotionally tinged and deflects some valid criticism.  I find it too confining for the styles of games I prefer and too stereotypically anglo-centric/confining for my tastes.

YMMV and probably should...

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Irishrover13

• Scientist
  • Most of what I say is lost in translation.
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 02:25:08 PM »
If you want to work on this I am interested, I will have time this summer to help.
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 06:28:47 PM »
An interesting prospect.

IHMN as it stands provides an excellent format for the resolution of skirmish actions and battles, so a simple RPG-lite system to string such events together into a campaign narrative - and get some RPG out of it too - wouldn't actually be that hard.

I would initially have gone with Space:1889 too, but the original system was - politely put - not the best it could have been.

With the Gothic angle, I'm now more inclined to veer towards 'Call of Cthulhu' anyway, and with it's D100 format, that and the D10 format within IHMN can be easily worked together.

If some folks aren't exactly interested in Lovecraftian horror - mythos or non-mythos - then the same RPG system exists in a simplified generic state as BRP (Basic Role Playing) and I believe you can still source the BRP Quick Start PDF online too?