Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:06:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Small nations  (Read 6855 times)

Offline Glenn

• Bookworm
Re: Small nations
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 11:34:54 AM »
yep

I remember that one, it was very charismatic and had some great discussion about unusual units and skills :)

Offline Capt. E.W. Brimmage

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 09:16:14 AM »
I haven't done anything with that yet, I've been working on British Paras of late. I was after a heroic scale Gewehr 43 to give the Bolt Action Germans a SoTR scale weapon, but there doesn't seem to be any about. I've given up on that idea and might just use a random other semi-auto rifle from TAG. With me on a student budget, a couple of Spanish units might make for a decent Summer project.

In Secrets of the Third Reich the Spanish end up entering the war, sometime around D-Day. From memory they blitzed through Southern France to halt the Allies at Italy, and are also part of the new Afrika Korps. In my mind they are probably reasonably equipped, or at least elite units are, but would be behind the cutting edge of technology in the setting; perfect for using the 28mm Gear Kreig range for. Their more recent entry into the conflict would also mean they would likely have a manpower advantage, meaning that the the US Armoured infantry list is very appropriate for the core platoon (but with the cost of body armour increased to the British 3pts[?]).

Also from memory, IIRC the Spanish have installed their own puppet Pope. I can see sinister, shadowy elements of the Catholic church playing a similar role to the British Temple.

After that though, I'm kind of stuck trying to think of some special units? Partisan fighting veterans?

I see supernatural creatures being more in the realm of the partisans.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:47:32 AM by Capt. E.W. Brimmage »

Offline georgec

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 09:54:55 AM »

Also from memory, IIRC the Spanish have installed their own puppet Pope. I can see sinister, shadowy elements of the Catholic church playing a similar role to the British Temple.

After that though, I'm kind of stuck trying to think of some special units? Partisan fighting veterans?

I see supernatural creatures being more in the realm of the partisans.

Sinister, shadowy elements?  Well I wasn't expecting The Spanish Inquistion....

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 06:13:38 PM »
Capt. Brimmage - I've also been through the search for GW 43's, & since Warlord stopped offering their metal ones (& their plastic sprue having only one on it) the best match I've been able to find is probably TAG's M14's - they have a similar shape (admittedly the barrel is higher up in the furniture than a GW 43) & if you cut down the magazine size they're a decent approximation. (There are also TAG's AK carbines, which could also pass at a pinch.)

Offline FATROC

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 06:14:07 PM »
The Black Pope of the Jesuits! Don't forget that in the SoTR1949 timeline, Spain now controls Italy and it's armament industries. You would be able to use plenty of Italian equipment (AB-43, M42L da 105, AS-42 etc...) to fill out their force org.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:18:44 PM by FATROC »

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 11:45:00 PM »
From the Wikipedia article:  The Blue Division (Spanish: División Azul, German: Blaue Division, officially designated as División Española de Voluntarios by the Spanish Army and 250. Infanterie-Division in the German Army) was a unit of Spanish volunteers that served in the German Army on the Eastern Front of the Second World War.Origins[edit]
Although Spanish dictator Field Marshal (Generalísimo) Francisco Franco did not enter World war II on the side of Nazi Germany, he permitted volunteers to join the German Army (Wehrmacht Heer) on the clear and guaranteed condition they would fight exclusively against Bolshevism (Soviet Communism) on the Eastern Front, and not against the Western Allies or any Western European occupied populations. In this manner, he could keep Spain at peace with the Western Allies whilst simultaneously repaying Adolf Hitler for his support during the Spanish Civil War (see Condor Legion). Spanish foreign minister Ramón Serrano Súñer made the suggestion to raise a volunteer corps, and at the commencement of Operation Barbarossa, Franco sent an official offer of help to Berlin.Hitler approved the use of Spanish volunteers on June 24, 1941. Volunteers flocked to recruiting offices in all the metropolitan areas of Spain. Cadets from the officer training school in Zaragoza volunteered in particularly large numbers. Initially, the Spanish government was prepared to send about 4,000 men, but soon realized that there were more than enough volunteers to fill an entire division: 18,104 men in all, with 2,612 officers and 15,492 soldiers.Fifty percent of officers and non-commissioned officers (NCOs) were professional soldiers, many of them veterans of the Spanish Civil War. Many others were members of the Falange (the Spanish Fascist party). Others felt pressure to join because of past ties with the Republic or—like Luis García Berlanga, who later became a well-known cinema director—to help their relatives in Franco's prisons.General Agustín Muñoz Grandes was assigned to lead the volunteers. Because the soldiers could not use official Spanish army uniforms, they adopted a symbolic uniform comprising the red berets of the Carlists, khaki trousers used in the Spanish Legion, and the blue shirts of the Falangists—hence the nickname "Blue Division." This uniform was used only while on leave in Spain; in the field, soldiers wore the German Army (Wehrmacht Heer) field grey uniform with a shield on the upper right sleeve bearing the word "España" and the Spanish national colours.
ttps://www.google.com/search?q=spanish+blue+division&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=b1zEU_2cEcefyASAooHYBw&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=979#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=3Je2poUeJ9_J8M%253A%3BPID0tuWzmxi3nM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252F62.15.226.148%252Ftc%252F2009%252F02%252F06%252F11876572.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.alternatehistory.com%252

Offline Blofeld

• Scientist
    • Frontline armchair
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 05:15:14 PM »
I have the Osprey book on the Blue division. They would make a very good force for alternate WW2. The unique mix of fanatical Falangists and elite Spanish Foreign Legionnaires would be somewhat difficult to represent but well worth your while.
Thanks for the replies
Blofeld

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 06:00:13 PM »
According to some internet searching I did a while back, their post-war armored units were equipped with T-26's and Italian Tankettes, with a very few Stugs and MK IVs.

Offline Capt. E.W. Brimmage

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 04:18:43 AM »
Capt. Brimmage - I've also been through the search for GW 43's, & since Warlord stopped offering their metal ones (& their plastic sprue having only one on it) the best match I've been able to find is probably TAG's M14's - they have a similar shape (admittedly the barrel is higher up in the furniture than a GW 43) & if you cut down the magazine size they're a decent approximation. (There are also TAG's AK carbines, which could also pass at a pinch.)

Cheers for that Ballardian, it's a great help.