Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:24:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Meeting Engagement - BA AAR  (Read 2744 times)

Offline sotek486

• Scientist
Meeting Engagement - BA AAR
« on: June 21, 2014, 02:59:22 AM »
I just posted up an AAR for a Bolt Action game I played this past Wednesday evening: http://jayswargamingmadness.blogspot.com/2014/06/bolt-action-aar-meeting-engagement.html

Preview pics:

Enjoy!

Jay

Offline Finisterrae

• Assistant
Re: Meeting Engagement - BA AAR
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 04:34:47 AM »
Looks very good, even quite realistic, thank you!
However, I was close before yelling at them madly to loosen up their formation... they herd like greenhorns.  o_o

former user

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 07:35:46 AM »
The AAR is great, THX for sharing.

Please allow a question rulewise:

with 3 AFV and 1 scout car per side, so basically platoon strength armour, isn't it a bit too maxxed out and destabilizing for the rules?
I know we saw this kind of engagement many times in "Band of Brothers", but the infantry was usually company strength.

How does this work ruleset-wise?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 03:42:53 PM by bedwyr »

Offline sotek486

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 03:30:26 PM »
We've found the points in the books to be a little screwed up when you add vehicles into the mix.  We've played enough at this point to have a good feel for what is and is not even (or not depending on the scenario).  This was a very close fought game right up to the end.  We still check the points so we can see where we are points-wise ... and generally it is close within 100 or so points.  Since we are not tournament players we are less concerned with it all.  Others I know are "min/maxing" the crap out of the game (even outside of tournaments) which makes for both unfun and unrealistic games.  For me and my group, we've been having a blast with Bolt Action and our lose approach to force construction.

former user

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 03:42:16 PM »
I am not very familiar with BA, and thus curious. the combination of AFVs and the almost even numbers on both sides makes sense, but how do You handle it with vehicles on only one side?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 03:44:17 PM by bedwyr »

Offline sotek486

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 07:52:45 PM »
BA is a very "deadly" game ... generally we have vehicles on both sides (or none at all) ... I've played games where one side has many vehicles and the other doesn't really have any ... Germans defending a position for example, but they have their PaK40, PanzerSchrecks, Panzerfausts and the infantry get AT grenades (just helps them in assaults with armoured vehicles) ... and it still all works out.  I think many systems in the past have treated vehicles as the focal point on the battlefield ... it is nice to see rules like BA and Chain of Command that show their vulnerability to infantry when engaged at close quarter.

At the end of the day we've had a great time with all our games ... with and without vehicles, and with vehicles on one side ... you just have to use some common sense (based on your understanding of the rules) to even out the forces based on the scenario/objectives for your game.