Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:03:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690914
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 620
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: MP3 Update ~Free Assembly~ Fact or Fantasy?  (Read 3526 times)

Offline fubar

• Schoolboy
    • My commission painting website!
MP3 Update ~Free Assembly~ Fact or Fantasy?
« on: July 28, 2008, 12:23:16 AM »
Quite a few people have emailed us, incredulous, about our ongoing policy of free basic assembly and free basic basing on all projects. It’s simple – any ‘troop/on foot’ model is assembled absolutely free (we still charge for cavalry, vehicles, monsters, etc.)! Yes, we clean and prep all models, removing mold lines, and yes we pin all metal models where needed. No, we don’t jack up our painting prices to account for free assembly. No, we don’t raise our prices every 3 months. Go ahead – check around – compare our price to quality ratio to other painting services, and we think you’ll see the obvious difference.

How can we offer free services like these? Because we’re small – 2 people and 3 cats – and 100% of your payment actually goes to the people working on your projects. That’s how you keep prices low. Ask around – the next time you want to commission a project with a painting service, ask them how much of your $$$ actually goes directly to the painter – you may be surprised. With us, there are no surprises.

In other news, we just finished an amazingly HUGE project - the Whispering Cairn, from the Dragon magazine Age of Worms D&D campaign. The project includes every single NPC, monster and villain, as well as an exhaustive supporting cast of animals, townsfolk, and anything else you’d expect to encounter.

We have a Reaper Monk straggler - rotund and full of wisdom - up for sale on eBay, if anyone is interested.

Everyone loves a monk in the adventuring party - they travel light, can always tell good mead from swill, and never want any treasure, thereby insuring everyone else gets more! You can't beat that. Not even with a big, metal shod stick.

"Reflect as I realize, that all I need is to find
the middle pillar path to sit like the sun
by a star in the sky and just be."

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
Re: MP3 Update ~Free Assembly~ Fact or Fantasy?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 01:49:20 AM »
What's up with cats and gamers?  Is it really the case that an inordinate amount of gamers/painters have cats?  Or do cat-people just talk about their pets a lot more than dog-people, with the result that any online forum seems to have more cat-people?

I know, this is a sort of rude response to Fubar's post, but let's face it, this post is blatant advertising rather than discussion, and I doubt Fubar is going to read my comment.  In fact, I wouldn't mind advertising if the advertiser posted their information and then checked back on it.

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 02:24:38 PM »
What's wrong with advertising? Lots of people have done it on the forum. I for one would rather paint and assemble my models on my own. But why not offer a service like that? Plus inform people that this service is available...

Oh, and the cat - dog question... Nobody wants to know about dogs as we have seen too many (so called) "best friends" survive in Hollywood movies. Cats are just so much cooler. Too bad I'm allergic to them...  :(
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 02:25:47 PM »
Before anybody gets offended: of course this is only my personal opinion. No claim to be an objective truth or anything...

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 06:41:43 PM »
As I implied, I wouldn't mind advertising (in fact, I appreciate it) if the person posting the ad is also a contributor.  Personally, I can't stand it when someone jumps into a forum to announce a service, and then isn't heard from again until their next announcement of a new service.  There's something wrong with the fact that this member posted her news, and we can then say anything we want about her, knowing that she won't be offended because she'll never read it.

Anyway, isn't there a place for this kind of posting?  I wouldn't have any problem with it at all were it posted in the Bazar of Obscurities.

Offline fubar

• Schoolboy
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 04:46:58 AM »
Touchy!  ;D

As a matter of record, I am back, and I am reading your comments (and I suppose yes, you can say anything you want about me) - but at the same time, I do sort of understand what you're implying - there is alot of 'spam-vertising' on gaming forums in general.

This was more of a "here's what's up with us lately" post, as opposed to what you assumed it was. This is what my husband and I do for work (as opposed to it being just a hobby), and I've been lurking and reading on this forum for almost a month now, and figured it'd be nice to chime in now and again.

Dogs are, for the most part, pack animals. Cats are, for the most part, solitary hunters. Gamers are, for the most part, solitary outcasts from a society that shuns and mocks them.

See the similarities? 8)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 08:17:49 AM »
Touche!
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 02:41:43 PM »
Damn, I'm a cat! Oh - that's why my wife keeps calling me that. It's all so obvious now...  lol

Offline fubar

• Schoolboy
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 08:36:37 PM »
And I am a schoolboy!?  :o
<-----------
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 12:42:26 AM by fubar »

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 12:11:55 PM »
And I am a schoolboy!?  :o
<-----------

Well, being married to a wonderful lady who really is into gender studies I'd say you are a schoolperson.  ;)

Offline Swampfox

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 08:32:31 PM »
Because we’re small – 2 people and 3 cats – and 100% of your payment actually goes to the people working on your projects. That’s how you keep prices low.

What!? No money goes to the cats? That, sir, is how you keep your prices low. My cat will be contacting her congressman about this!  ;D

Am I the only person whose cat likes to drink the dirty water from the paintbrush jar? She literally salivates when she hears me rinse my first brush. Crazy cat.  ::)

Offline Lordblackwing

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 08:55:31 PM »
Nice to see a beneficial service offered as opposed to the basic "have us paint your stuff...some restrictions apply". As for cats, mine used to grab small plastic parts and hide them, even sprue pieces weren't safe from her. She treid the paint water once...but apparently GW paints tasted nasty. lol
A fellow follower of the Lead Mountain