Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:04:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Boshin war Question  (Read 5065 times)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
Boshin war Question
« on: June 28, 2014, 02:43:51 PM »
I read that not only were French advisors present but also current or former British and American officers to lend military expertise, my question is what miniatures would be suitable for all three? I don't know much about 19th century uniforsm, would civil war officers or say Officers from the empress Zulu range be suitable?

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
Re: Boshin war Question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 04:16:29 PM »
It's not a period I know a lot about either but after a little bit of reading I imagine miniatures from the Franco-Prussian War for French and possibly Anglo-Zulu War or maybe Perry British Intervention Forces for the Brits. I'm sure there are useful bits from ACW ranges as well.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 04:49:52 PM »
I would say that comissariat 'uniforms' would be the order of the day as many advisors weren't there in a strict official capacity. Of course normal uniforms would certainly do and civilian clothing would also do at a push  :)

Rokaruta has posted some pictures of an international officer leading some Japanese troops further down the board, and very nicely painted they are too  8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline rokurota

• Mastermind
    • Bac Ninh Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 08:14:09 PM »
The figure is from Perry plastic Zouaves, painted as a French Officer during the Boshin War.
As you can see, he mix very well with my Boshin War range.  :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 08:17:41 PM by rokurota »

Twitter account @BacNinh_Minis

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 09:48:28 PM »
Actually I must confess, seeing this picture was my inspiration for the question ::)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 10:07:48 PM »
"I must signal to the Emperor the presence of numerous American and British officers, retired or on leave, in this party [of the southern daimyo] which is hostile to French interests. The presence of Western leaders among our enemies may jeopardize my success from a political standpoint, but nobody can stop me from reporting from this campaign information Your Majesty will without a doubt find interesting."

I found this quote on wikipedia by Jules Brunet in a letter to Napoleon III. From this letter I can see that the French supported the Shogunate while American and British ''bystanders'' supported and supplied the Emperor of Japan(not the Emperor mentioned in the letter).

I'm wondering how do foundry miniatures or alternately empress miniatures scale up against bac ninh?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 10:14:01 PM by Kommando_J »

Offline rokurota

• Mastermind
    • Bac Ninh Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 12:31:58 AM »
I'm wondering how do foundry miniatures or alternately empress miniatures scale up against bac ninh?

I think that Empress will work perfectly along side with Bac Ninh, because both are sculpted by Paul Hicks, and Paul use always Ebob puppets for all his figures so you want find any strange height difference.

With foundry can't help you.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 01:20:36 AM »
Since we are asking questions, was the nirayamagasa (battle hat) worn by ever one? Or just Imperial troops?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 03:30:01 AM »
There's also the new British Intervention Force by the Perrys that'll have some officer types you can use and also the Sudan naval brigade range (again by the Perrys) that will have most suitable officer types.

cheers

James

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 03:35:15 AM »
There's also the new British Intervention Force by the Perrys that'll have some officer types you can use and also the Sudan naval brigade range (again by the Perrys) that will have most suitable officer types.

cheers

James
I was just thinking the same thing and looking at the Perry range on my computer this moment.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 03:40:25 AM »
Since we are asking questions, was the nirayamagasa (battle hat) worn by ever one? Or just Imperial troops?

I think they were just worn by the Imperial troops.

cheers

James

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 04:04:55 AM »
Lame sauce, the baled headband look just doesn't do it for me  ::)

Offline rokurota

• Mastermind
    • Bac Ninh Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 11:05:45 AM »

The nirayamagasa was worn by both sides and were different types and designs, on the other hand the hatsumurigasa (pointy hat) were characteristic of the Satsuma clan (Emperor's follower), so only could wear it their troops.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 11:11:17 AM »
The nirayamagasa was worn by both sides and were different types and designs, on the other hand the hatsumurigasa (pointy hat) were characteristic of the Satsuma clan (Emperor's follower), so only could wear it their troops.
Thank you.  :)

Offline rokurota

• Mastermind
    • Bac Ninh Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 03:54:21 PM »
May be this picture can help you, British marines with captured shore batteries at Shimonoseki, september 5, 1864.