Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:48:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Nic-e makes heroquest dungeons.  (Read 3370 times)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Nic-e makes heroquest dungeons.
« on: June 10, 2014, 11:51:34 PM »
So i was walking home from college today and glanced into the charity shop window near the bus stop.i always take a quick look when i go by to se if i can see any good games, but this time, something made me run backwards into the shop and throw money at the cashier.

That something was a COMPLETE copy of heroquest! and when i say complete,i mean complete! there is not a single thing missing from it! even the paper character sheets are mine! the only damage is a  little bit of writing on the box :)

So now that i have the game, i think i need some dungeons to go with it :) since i finish college soon i want to make something simple to play on in the 3 months between the end of june and the start of uni :) wip posts soon.

Oh and the kicker for those who have been looking for a full set? this cost me £2.50!! i felt like i was stealing the damn thing so much that i offered to give the woman behind the till a whole £10, but she was too kind to take advantage of my excitement.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Nic-e makes heroquest dungeons.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 03:26:19 AM »
Wow. And you're nice in not rubbing our nose in it, it was actually £2.49! Good hunting.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 05:19:26 AM »
Holy...crap.  Now that is a find.  Considering they go for upwards of $200-300 on ebay.  Good lord you're lucky!  lol  Awesome.  Looking forward to see what you make.  (regarding dungeons you could cheap out buy some of the excellent WOTC dungeon cards).

2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 08:43:23 AM »
Wow. And you're nice in not rubbing our nose in it, it was actually £2.49! Good hunting.

I just couldn't help but rub it in a little, my brother in law was more jealous than a very green orc when i got it out the bag.

Holy...crap.  Now that is a find.  Considering they go for upwards of $200-300 on ebay.  Good lord you're lucky!  lol  Awesome.  Looking forward to see what you make.  (regarding dungeons you could cheap out buy some of the excellent WOTC dungeon cards).

I'm looking at getting a few laser cut, or using the ceramics workshop at college to cast a hell of a lot of plaster floors, but i will look into the wotc cards :)

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 11:25:51 AM »
About eight or nine years ago there was a lull in the eBay Heroquest fad, and I managed to pick up a complete set for £18 GBP, and Return of the Witch King for a tenner. But that bargain pales in comparison to this! Nicely done sir!

Offline Giger

• Mad Scientist
    • Crucium Giger's Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 12:16:06 PM »
Nice find and the price is unbelievable.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 12:59:46 PM »
I was so excited that i got in a chat with the woman serving me.turns out her daughters husband collects warhammer! i almost felt like telling her how close she came to being known as a badass mother in law by letting him have it for Christmas.the price is amazing, i've had some great deals from local charity shops but this takes the biscuit.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 05:54:15 PM »
Picked up a whole heap of supplies for dungeon building, and will be spending a good few hours on Monday casting my first test pieces.

Also played my first game of heroquest the day i got it and have since fallen completely in love with it.why this game is not mandatory for all children is beyond me :D

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 01:46:46 PM »
Scurv, it's simply an awesome game! And a lot of us gamers cut our teeth on that game. It took a few eBay auctions until I had a complete set and it will pass from generation to generation!

Fuzzy
Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly
down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red
Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture,
torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals.
Blackadder 4

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 06:52:01 PM »
what is so good about it. I know its like a lump of gold to most wargamers but why?

Super simple, super fun, super adaptable.
It's kind of a trope setter for dungeon crawl games, since so many of the features you find in current games come from heroquest, but often heroquest just did it better.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 12:17:40 AM »
Scurv,

It's not an amazing wargame or boardgame.  What it is: the first quality dungeon board game most of us played.  Heck it was my introduction to the idea of miniature wargaming.  It's a game I was able to play with my buddies at the age of 10.  In fact that is why I've bought into the (fingers crossed) 25th Anniversary version from Spain.  I have a 7 year old nephew.  I can't wait to set up a dungeon and play with him.

To an adult wargamer of today...no it's not really a big deal.  But it has charm, and it was a watershed board game for a lot of us.  Also, pristine copies go for $200+ on ebay, so the $5 purchase price here is incredible. 

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 12:22:15 AM »
Scurv,

It's not an amazing wargame or boardgame.  What it is: the first quality dungeon board game most of us played.  Heck it was my introduction to the idea of miniature wargaming.  It's a game I was able to play with my buddies at the age of 10.  In fact that is why I've bought into the (fingers crossed) 25th Anniversary version from Spain.  I have a 7 year old nephew.  I can't wait to set up a dungeon and play with him.

To an adult wargamer of today...no it's not really a big deal.  But it has charm, and it was a watershed board game for a lot of us.  Also, pristine copies go for $200+ on ebay, so the $5 purchase price here is incredible. 

See for me it's perfect.I'm terrible with numbers and heroquest, being designed for younger players, does away alot of the in game math, and instead just focuses on the fun. Is is as tactical and in depth as a full rpg or wargame? no.
is it fun without the need to show your working out for the invigilators to check? hell yes.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 03:42:21 PM »
Picture time!!
That right, i nipped into college today to drop off some stuff and managed to grab 4 pounds of plaster (we only have imperial scales for some reason.)
Just knocked up these little test pieces using my lego moulds.

first is a simple cube, which i will probably end up using as a socket for a diorama.

and a little scale shot with a rusty dog.

The second piece was a small tunnel section test.
sadly i got this out of the mould before it had fully set and ended up splitting it into a several parts.once it's fully dried i may pin it back together and use it as a section of rough ground once i have some more tunnel parts finished.

Overall i'm happy with the results and look forward to getting hold of some 1 inch tiles to cover up the lego holes in the floor and adding some detail into these sections.

And remember kids,when using plaster, make sure to breath it in as much as you can, especially if you have asthma ,to ensure you get plaster powers  :D (seriously don't breath too much plaster.)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 11:02:04 PM »
thanks for the feedback. next question is there a rules PDF for this as it sounds good for gamers like me who prefer to play half baked.

Ask and ye shall receive, this guy has print outs for EVERY part of the game and its expansions.
All you need it a handful of miniatures and some dice you're willing to colour the sides of instead of using the heroquest dice.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 08:02:32 AM »
but there is no link. It must have fallen into a portal spell...

God dammit, i keep doing that.
The site is called yeoldinn.