Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:06:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Great Wargaming Survey  (Read 10657 times)

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
Re: The Great Wargaming Survey
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 11:26:45 AM »

I'll start by saying well done for doing this... :D

you should state what the prize draws are for survey completion in the invite.

Interesting survey however I do think a future study could include the following if this is being shared with the manufacturers to support advertising.

Given survey monkey is free to use there would have been no limit on the questionnaire length

where are miniatures, terrain are purchased ... At shows, direct online , off forums , ebay etc

Is there a point in today's money that you wouldn't pay for a mini eg £3

where games are played...eg on the kitchen table, games rooms, venues, sheds etc

This would have been followed up with size of gaming table ...optimum standard etc

Scratch built versus custom terrain

What's missing in your hobby...what do you really want the manufacturers to produce?

Insurance...do you have it?

What could the shows do better

Who is the best manufacturer and why? Use the net promoter score to rank suppliers

What forum is best and why?

Why do folks visit forums and not participate

Just a few thoughts..over and out :)

If interested There are another two market researchers in my gaming network, along with myself we have worked with some of the largest international brands in the world. We would be happy to share our experience in future surveys either from a writing perspective or analytics.

Cheers and good luck with results

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 11:37:40 AM »
Took it, curious to see the numbers, wonder if it means anything.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 11:45:24 AM »
Done. I simply copied what everybody and his dog clicked... 

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 11:45:57 AM »
Some of the question/answer combos are a bit strange. I several cases I was thinking 'none of three potential answers corresponds particularly well to my situation'. So I picked the 'least worst' answer on a bunch of occasions. Not sure that's the way these should work but hey-ho.

Done. I simply copied what everybody and his dog clicked... 

Do you know what everyone and his dog clicked? Or are you guessing that we're all going to have a similar take?

Offline Praefectusclassis

• Librarian
    • Karwansaray Publishers
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 12:15:08 PM »
That is interesting Glenn. Hope there are no security holes in Surveymonkey.

Eric (and others), it would of course been possible to make the survey more extensive and potentially all encompassing (both in the number of questions as in the number and permutations of answers). When we set this up, several people who do this kind of thing professionally impressed on me the need to keep it manageable and make sure it could actually be done in 5-10 minutes.
If this actually works and we get a good, statistically viable number of responses, then we have something to build on and we might ask more specific questions in the future. So yeah, I'll be coming back to your list then.  ;)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 12:39:43 PM »
Do you know what everyone and his dog clicked? Or are you guessing that we're all going to have a similar take?

That was just a joke, forgive me. I answered serious and truthful.  ;)
Being LAF member means being likeminded to a certain degree anyway, I suppose.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2014, 02:35:50 PM »
That was just a joke, forgive me. I answered serious and truthful.  ;)
Being LAF member means being likeminded to a certain degree anyway, I suppose.

I'm with you - and got the joke! :D lol

It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 02:48:58 PM »

<snip>

I will ask my associates at NSA...   ;)

There are security weaknesses everywhere, you just need to decide how much risk there is, how much damage might come out of the associated risks, and how much risk/damage is acceptable to you.   :-X

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 02:53:07 PM »

Survey Monkey is a good system - should not be an issue

Eric (and others), it would of course been possible to make the survey more extensive and potentially all encompassing (both in the number of questions as in the number and permutations of answers). When we set this up, several people who do this kind of thing professionally impressed on me the need to keep it manageable and make sure it could actually be done in 5-10 minutes.
If this actually works and we get a good, statistically viable number of responses, then we have something to build on and we might ask more specific questions in the future. So yeah, I'll be coming back to your list then.  ;)

Once again I think this is a great idea and worthy of participation - well done !!

You are right - 10 minutes is the maximum length for any good survey - I suspect yours is much shorter hence my views on further inclusions.

To get a statistically viable number of responses you are probably looking for a minimum of 200 responses before you apply any breaks to the data. Of course it helps if you know the total size of the audience.

Best of luck

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 02:55:11 PM »

...and done! ;D
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

• Librarian
    • Karwansaray Publishers
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 03:00:57 PM »
Hi Eric
Some people who provided feedback on the test-version said they took longer, so I've shaved answers and questions over the last few days. It should be comfortably less, even for those not equipped with lightning fast mouse-arms...
Also, 200 is not going to be a problem. In fact, since we started about 8 hours ago, we've had double that number and most of the 'please fill out the survey' messages, posts etc haven't even gone out yet! So all, please keep going, this might actually become representative and statistically viable information!  :D

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2014, 03:10:35 PM »

<snip>

Now I am intrigued - which part was interesting?

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 03:10:47 PM »
Done. Look forward to seeing the results. Reminded me of the old SPI magazine survey  ;)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2014, 03:12:28 PM »
Hi Eric
Some people who provided feedback on the test-version said they took longer, so I've shaved answers and questions over the last few days. It should be comfortably less, even for those not equipped with lightning fast mouse-arms...
Also, 200 is not going to be a problem. In fact, since we started about 8 hours ago, we've had double that number and most of the 'please fill out the survey' messages, posts etc haven't even gone out yet! So all, please keep going, this might actually become representative and statistically viable information!  :D

I thought it was a good survey even if it didn't quite fit where I am or where I want to go with my miniatures hobby. 

Somebody has to be that third sigma - you just hope you are on the "good" side of the divide in the middle...   lol

Gracias,

Glenn

• Librarian
    • Karwansaray Publishers
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 03:14:12 PM »
Luckily, there'll just be you and your conscience to decide on which side you fall when you read the results and compare them to your own preferences. :D