Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:37:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690464
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Them!  (Read 2701 times)

Offline Auton

• Mad Scientist
    • The Lead Mountain Blog
Them!
« on: July 30, 2008, 09:41:04 AM »
Just finalising my latest project, a game based upon the 1954 giant ant film Them! It's still to have it's proper outing and has only been through a few playtests but if anyone is interested ..
http://www.nick101.f9.co.uk/Projects/THEM.htm

« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 12:07:58 PM by Auton »

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Them!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 10:47:22 AM »
Wher'd you get the ants from?

There was a smashing game called It came from the Desert about 20 years ago for the Atari ST.  I love this type of game.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Auton

• Mad Scientist
    • The Lead Mountain Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 10:52:19 AM »
Wher'd you get the ants from?

There was a smashing game called It came from the Desert about 20 years ago for the Atari ST.  I love this type of game.

There is a link to the company on the page, US Toy Co, but they look to out of stock at the moment

Yeap, I remember that game well, but for me it was on my Amiga 500  :)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 11:11:18 AM »
Auton, what a great idea. :)
 I remember seeing Them on BBC2 when they used to run their horror double bill on a saturday night during the summer holidays back  in the early 1980s.

Do you remember the one about giant rabbits, I think it was called Lupus? ???
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 11:27:10 AM »
Yeap, I remember that game well, but for me it was on my Amiga 500

That's where I had it too then.  There were 3 different types of game.  I enjoyed the spraying and the antenna shooting.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 12:39:21 PM »

Chalk me up as another Amiga "It Came From the Desert" fan.

Cinemaware were also responsible for the amazing Amiga Great War Dogfight game "Wings." I loved that even more:

I got both games (and "Antheads" the "It Came.." sequel) free, bundled with a RAM expansion that bumped my memory up to a whacking 1 meg! I bought a generic brand expansion that voided my warranty because the official Commodore one was more expensive and you didn't get any free games with it. :)

Great-looking project you have there, Auton. I'd love to play some games like that.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 01:09:32 PM »
I keep looking for them on a PC Emulator, but no joy. 
Wings was ace, a no nonsense aerial shoot em up, no fancy controls needed.

Offline Auton

• Mad Scientist
    • The Lead Mountain Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 02:09:29 PM »
There are quite a few old computer games that I keep thinking would convert into tabletop games. It's just a matter of coming up with a suitable set of rules & finding the right figures  :)

Anyone remember this one?

Offline Mo

• Mad Scientist
    • Oddman Productions
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 02:28:19 PM »
Looks great, Auton.

THEM is on my short to-do list for Fantastic Worlds games. I satisfied my itch for an alien invasion game last year, so now its time for some nuclear cinema!

Marc

Fantastic Worlds: Pulp Action in the Far Reaches of Space
http://oddmanproductions.com

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 03:28:10 PM »
Fantastic Worlds rules, there's a thought, I could easily site it in an old western town.

Offline Auton

• Mad Scientist
    • The Lead Mountain Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 03:40:03 PM »
The layout I used was more modern but you could quite easily replace the buildings etc with old west ones

The ant entry points (bugholes) were scattered amongst the desert area, the dynamite points are the crate piles and the humans entered via this nearside table edge

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 07:54:37 PM »
Nice looking scenery.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 09:13:59 PM »

Chalk me up as another Amiga "It Came From the Desert" fan.

Cinemaware were also responsible for the amazing Amiga Great War Dogfight game "Wings." I loved that even more:

I got both games (and "Antheads" the "It Came.." sequel) free, bundled with a RAM expansion that bumped my memory up to a whacking 1 meg! I bought a generic brand expansion that voided my warranty because the official Commodore one was more expensive and you didn't get any free games with it. :)

Great-looking project you have there, Auton. I'd love to play some games like that.

I too, played the hell out of that on my Amiga 500. That, and Rocket Ranger. Hey, with Pulp Figures, I can play Rocket Ranger now with miniatures...muahahaha!
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."