Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:53:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Somewhere in Nevada (Pulp Alley)  (Read 3598 times)

Offline Faustnik

• Student
Somewhere in Nevada (Pulp Alley)
« on: July 09, 2014, 04:57:37 PM »
Lads,

Some gaming, just no time to post any AAR.

This was our last, Wild West, using rules adapted from the excellent Pulp Alley set.

OK, still a mad shoot out, as no one though on a scenario, but, next time....

Buildings mostly 4Ground/DeadManHand, plus some extras from differents producers, figures 28mm, all from Luis Reis Collection

Now the AAR (not mine, but from a fellow wargamer)......

Cold. Cold, snow and ice. In one of those Nevada’s rigorous Winters, there was nothing else than cold, snow and ice. And men to kill.

Johnny Guitar and his companions were waiting for the best moment to take their objective, the lusty House of the Foxie Ladies, placed on the other side of that town lost in the midst of Nevada State.

Sudenly, a shootout!

Manure! Straws, flies and manure! As expected, the Ozark Inbreed gang couldn’t have found a better place to hide than the big barn. Not that Nucklehead Tom disliked the smell after all, that’s something he was used since childhood. Huck Smelly Jones even used manure against cattle-fly bites. And Tim Dumb… well, Tim Dumb liked what he was told to like. This was home!Then, Banjo Jim, the fourth of the cousins/brothers/uncles (Ozark typical!) grasps three shadows closing on the House of the Foxie Ladies and yells “- Tom, Tom, look, those guys are gonna steal our cattle!” “- Shoot ye all! Kill’em!”, yells Tom while he spits his chewing tobacco.

“- Lads, after months killing buffalos, Indians and other sort of animals, I think it’s time for us to have a little fun. I just know of a place right there, a well-spoken kinda place where they serve us of everything we ask for.”
John Quartermain was one of the most famous and fearless hunters West of the Apalachians. Born and raised in the Scottish Highlands, the taste for adventure made him cross the Ocean to the New World, and from the East to the West Coast of America it was just “a jump”. There was neither buffalo nor wolf who could escape him, but what really made him famous was his “fur” coat made of... Black Feet and Shoshone’s scalps, to which he was a deadly enemy! His skill with both knife and axe was only surpassed by the accuracy of his hunting rifle.

Thus Quartermain and his friends were just about to enter the House of the Foxie Ladies when all of the sudden a rain of lead hit the ground around them, wooden chips flying all over and Quartermain’s hat jumping out off his head. At once, Quartermain picked up his rifle, took aim and …

“- Huck! Tim! Jim!!!” Under a myriad of light beams coming from the bullet-ridden wooden wall, Nucklehead Tom, in despair, gazed at the dead bodies of his kin, killed by John Quartermain. The Ozark gang was at the brink of extinction. But Quartermain didn’t got unscathed: he had been hit in the arm, becoming somewhat incapacitated. Unwilling to get themselves shot at by more inbreed goons, the hunters rushed into the House of the Foxie Ladies.

Across town, another group woke up under the sound of gunshots. Not wasting time, three men run to the firefight, the fearless of them jumping out to fight. It was Colonel Longhorn, a Civil War veteran and, some say, even a veteran of the Mexican War and 1812’s... Wishing to protect his own men, Longhorn took the unfortunate decision to walk into the town’s main (and only!) street… … and right into Quartermain’s telescopic sight! An accurate shot and Longhorn fell into the ground. Is he dead?

While these shootouts were taking place, Johnny Guitar, Billy “Not so Ugly” Kid and John “Big Gun” Holmes crawled along fences and walls, thus coming close to the barn. From a corner, Johnny saw something moving by the manure, took aim and shot. A squeak was heard and Billy, confident that the path was clear, crossed the street but… Nucklehead Tom, albeit hurt, longed for blood and poor Bill paid the butcher’s bill. Seeing his friend lying on the ground, John “Big Gun” Holmes jumped through a window and entered a house, intended to avenge his pall… but under some sort of protection.

Not far from this duel, Longhorn, still licking his wounds, stood up ready to shoot. But still half stunned, he couldn’t see whom he was shooting at … and Quartermain didn’t missed! Longhorn strucked the ground for good!
Unaware of this, Longhorn’s friends were trying to scale some walls, alas without success. Giving up their intent, one of them entered a house, came close to a glass window and shot at the House of the Foxie Ladies… right where Quartermain stood! And we all know what followed …

By the barn, John “Big Gun” Holmes also came closed to a window and unleashed a hail of lead against Nucklehead Tom, but none shot through the building’s wall. In response, Tom got a straight shot. “Big Gun” has fired his last round. Furious at the loss of his friend, Johnny Guitar, his accuracy improved by sheer rage, turned his revolver against Nucklehead Tom, who fell straight into the snow, splattering red the white shroud in which he now laid.
This duel got the attention of the men inside the Ladies’ House. Leaning one of the beds top to bottom against the window as sort of protection, a gunman stood behind, scanning the streets in full attention… but he was so reckless in it that he put his nose out of protection … and Johnny Guitar was unforgiving!

Though depleted, Quartermain’s gang still held the upper hand and the House of the Foxie Ladies remained theirs. But not all agreed with this situation. One of them was Jim The Widowmaker Slim who, annoyed by so much a fuss, jumped out of the wagon where he was napping, Peacemaker in hand … at the exact moment when Guitar was passing by! Preferring brains over brawls, Slim ignored Johnny Guitar and run around the barn towards the Foxie Ladies, yet threatening “- If you come closer, Johnny Guitar, you’re a dead man!”.

Unwilling to take undue chances, Guitar entered the barn and climbed to the first floor where flies already walked all over the Ozark Mountains’ three poor bastards’ corpses. Step by step, in order to avoid the same fate, Guitar approached a gap in the wall and… there it was, right across the alley, bem bent over a window, one of Quartermain’s following. Johnny Guitar’s sure aim sent one more soul to its Creator.

Meanwhile, The Widowmaker cautiously entered the House and walked up the stairs, step by step, in order to get Quartermain by the back. But if Jim Slim had a reputation as a gunman, he was far more famous for his stupidity! Seeing Johnny Guitar by the street, he momentarily forgot his mission and unleashed a furious firestorm upon Johnny… who didn’t got a scratch! Guitar jumped into the House and Quartermain, now aware of what was going on, fired round after round against The Widowmaker who, though hurt, still kept in business... but not for long. Johnny Guitar, S&W in hand, climbed the stairs and filled The Widowmaker with lead. Due to his folly, Jim The Widowmaker Slim made one widow more: his own wife!

Thus the final duel came at last.

Leaning against the door, John Quartermain, wounded but still dangerous, waited for a sign, a movement, a slip on the part of his enemy; a couple of doors away, revolver in hand, Johnny Guitar quietly waited ... in this sepulchral silence, one could almost hear a song as the icy wind blew through the broken windows.
All of the sudden … Quartermain, the great hunter, couldn’t hold any longer and jumped forward! Dodging his deadly foe, Johnny Guitar riddled his opponent with red hot lead. With a grin, exhaling his last breath, Quartermain spoke his last famous words “- Guitar, you son of a…”.  And passed away.

Now in full control, Johnny Guitar walked into the Presidential Suite. Down there on the main street, the last of Colonel Longhorn’s entourage was running away, scared yellow. Guitar noticed a frightened Mexican young boy, ducked behind a sofa. Walking towards him, Johnny aimed his gun backwards and fired. On the white-covered street, the running gunman bit the dirt.
“- Hey, chico, tell me, what’s the name of this town?”
“- L... L… Las Vegas, señor.”
“- Las Vegas? Mmmmm… something tells me that, if it’s not for boose, betting and dames, this place of yours won’t have a future.”

The End

Thanks for looking

Faustnik

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
Re: Somewhere in Nevada (Pulp Alley)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 05:09:39 PM »
Encore!  :-* lol 8) 8) 8)
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 11:25:40 PM »
Nice set up, 4 ground certainly got a lot of business from you.
I like the simple way you have represented snow on the roofs.

Offline hentzau

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 11:42:25 PM »
Brilliantly simple way to do a snowy game!  Well done!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 01:29:35 PM »
Great job, and +1 on the super simple/effective snow layout.  Looks like a really thematic game.  Lovely town too!
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 02:33:05 PM »
Impressive. Awesome looking terrain and figures. It looks like you spent a lot of time putting together a great looking table. Well done. Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline morrigan

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 08:15:23 PM »
Really like the way the snow on your roofs looks. Simple but effective. I was wondering how to do snow covered roofs for a game I'm working on and you've just given me the answer!

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 02:32:57 AM »
Fantastic AAR. Its fun to see Pulp Alley in a Western setting. For me, that's where it all started.  :D

It makes me want to dig my old cowboys out!  ;)

Offline Faustnik

• Student
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 06:49:09 PM »
Its fun to see Pulp Alley in a Western setting. For me, that's where it all started.  :D

So not exactly a surprise  ;) :D ;D

Pulp Alley is perfect for this type of games, fast, multi-player (we have 4 players and around 21 figures on the tabletop.

While for some players the activation and action-reaction system can be a little alien, it's perfect, fast and reliable.

I'm trying to convince my players to go for some Tongs groups, Yakuza, and so on........ the possibilities are just endless.

A+

Faustnik

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 01:48:31 AM »
Yet another great game of Pulp Alley!  Killer AAR!  More please!
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"