Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:21:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690678
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fence (pic)  (Read 2516 times)

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
Fence (pic)
« on: July 30, 2008, 10:35:32 PM »
Random stuff inc presents: some terrain. It's from GW. They may be evil but they also do some nifty pieces every now and then.

Preview:

Full: *click*

(Is it just me or could this forum have slightly clearer link formatting? These look identical to normal text to me, which makes in-text links practically impossible to spot.)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Fence (pic)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 11:00:50 PM »
Yeah, the links don't show up too well.

In the absence of a better plan, the trick is to frame your link in underlined and/or bold tags like so:

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Pickelhaube

Those fence and wall bits do look pretty handsome. For the most part I've never had much of a problem with the quality of GW products (though the style isn't always my thing). The sticking point would be "How much do they cost?"
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 11:51:11 PM »
Well, one thing is for certain: I would never buy a GW wicker fence. They are just too easy to make your self.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 10:53:35 AM »
If I wanted a wicker fence (which I don't), I might buy one. It would all depend on the price.

I like painting things, not building things. It is part of the hobby I just have no love for (it's probably tantamount to heresy to say that on the Workbench board!). That's why I get Grimm to do it for me if I need something.

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 12:01:48 PM »
ah Ja that is a good attitude , Plynkes  ;)

I like the gw fence they are cheep and easy to paint .
You make a good work on them .

Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 12:30:38 PM »
They actually are quite nice, now that I look at them. And I suppose they're not hugely expensive, either. They'd be atmospheric for gothic horror, CoC and stuff like that.

How much do you get in one £12 pack? The GW webstore only says "4 long sections, 5 short sections, and 2 signposts". What's that in inches?
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 12:35:03 PM »
By the way, Dolmot, are you Finnish? Just noticed the picture is named "aita". (I'm a Finland-Swede)

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 05:58:02 PM »
I have a remote suspicion that some people concentrating on the wicker fences only didn't take a look at the whole thing. I had a good reason to crop the preview pic...

How much do you get in one £12 pack? The GW webstore only says "4 long sections, 5 short sections, and 2 signposts". What's that in inches?

A long section is roughly 18-20cm (7-8"), a short section is 7-9cm (~3") and signposts are obviously small. They're all completely different so the lengths vary. The whole set is about 120cm (47"). That's quite a lot of fence, I'd say. Enough to block all movement in RnF based games. ;D

My lot comes from the fortified manor box. It was maybe 40% off at the local independent retailer so it didn't really break the bank. I paid 40e or so and these fences are only 1/8 of the stuff there. No idea when I find the time and motivation to build the rest. They're nice, detailed pieces but take some cleaning as a large mould line runs through every single bit. That's plastics for you. On the positive side, you can kick those pieces around quite freely and they're unlikely to suffer any major damage.

By the way, all those building sets are actually made of four basic components: watchtower, chapel, stone walls, and fences. My pic only shows the fences. Stone walls are still different. They're used to build a small walled yard. The boxes go approximately like this:

- chapel = chapel
- watchtower = watchtower
- fortified manor = chapel + watchtower + stone walls + fences
- full building set = fortified manor + chapel + watchtower + 2 x fences
...but that's actually 2 x chapel + 2 x watchtower + 1 x stone walls + 3 x fences

I'm not 100% sure about the formulae but the main point is that they're different combinations of a few smaller components. Especially the manor house is essentially just two smaller buildings glued together. You can assemble it in any way you want.

And yes, very much Finnish and living here in the north. Not the best place in the world for alternative gaming but I can try. Nowadays I'm more into painting and building anyway.