Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:39:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690585
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Argonor's God of Battles Project(s) - Full Undead Army on page 12  (Read 38218 times)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Argonor's God of Battles Project(s)
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2014, 05:50:53 PM »

No, I really just re-named units from the Mercenary list (Dwarf Swashbucklers and Swashbuckler Gunners for the Minas Tirith units, Half Elf Warriors and Half Elf Scouts for the Fiefdom units), and Duregar used the Norse Dwarf list.

If you want some creatures of Middle-Earth, just rename some of the entries.

The Orc list is great, but I miss a unit of War Orcs with Pikes (Uruk-Hai Pikemen). I'll have to harass Jake Thornton on that one   >:D

I think you're on the right track - as long as it fits the theme, I see no reason at all, not to use units from separate armies - and remember, you can always use 1/3 of your Main Force points on Allies  ;)

Just get dug in, there, we need to see more LotR-stuff, and far more GoB AARs!!  :)

Thanks. That's really helpful. I had considered the 'allies' approach... As my Orcs and Elves are mainly designed for War of Sauron & the Elves or encounters against the Witch King of Angmar, plus Mirkwood/Lorien vs Orcs of the Misty Mountains, I'm not too bothered about Uruk Hai.. I actually have Uruk Hai models on the painting table about to be painted as Gundabad Orcs from the Battle of 5 armies - I have purchased some of the newly released (and mightily expensive) GW armoured Mirkwood Elves but can't justify the £5 per model on a unit of 12 Finecast Gundabad Orcs as well!!!!!!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2014, 08:31:37 PM »
As you say, just take Merc ally pikeman. Relatively easily done.

I considered that, but I think they are way too soft. The Uruk-Hai are well armoured, and although the pikes should probably lower their Defence, I would prefer a formed unit of perhaps 12 with more orcish stats.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2014, 11:08:57 AM »
I considered that, but I think they are way too soft. The Uruk-Hai are well armoured, and although the pikes should probably lower their Defence, I would prefer a formed unit of perhaps 12 with more orcish stats.
It should be possible to play with the stats a bit and guesstimate the cost of such a unit. As there isn't a great deal of variation it shouldn't be too difficult to land on unit costings that work.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2014, 04:05:41 PM »
It should be possible to play with the stats a bit and guesstimate the cost of such a unit. As there isn't a great deal of variation it shouldn't be too difficult to land on unit costings that work.

I agree - I just wish we had the formula for calculating unit costs. Would be such a blast!!

Maybe use the Iron Skins, lower (raise) the Defence to 4 or 5, add the Pikes rule. Would they cost about the same?

(of course I meant the Iron Skins for Black Orcs/Uruks, my bad)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2014, 06:31:30 PM »
Yeah I think at Defence 5, that sounds about right.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2014, 06:58:15 PM »
Having looked at the Orc list again, it's a wee bit 'Warhammer' for me and not very LoTR... The Orcs I envisage for LoTR are less comedic and more 'nasty horde'. Am tempted to sub some other unit stats from other lists to create a more LoTR friendly Orc list.

The current Orc list is superb for using with my Warhammer Orcs though, and I can easily create a Warhammer-esque High-Elf list from the Elf factions to fight it.

With regard to the Orc Pike unit, try out what you suggest and see if it seems balanced... There is a formula for the points, but unless the author shares it, we are never gonna be able to work it out, as the actual values are pretty small and different troop types cost the same across various force lists despite having different special rules, etc.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2014, 10:27:25 PM »
Having looked at the Orc list again, it's a wee bit 'Warhammer' for me and not very LoTR... The Orcs I envisage for LoTR are less comedic and more 'nasty horde'. Am tempted to sub some other unit stats from other lists to create a more LoTR friendly Orc list.

The current Orc list is superb for using with my Warhammer Orcs though, and I can easily create a Warhammer-esque High-Elf list from the Elf factions to fight it.

With regard to the Orc Pike unit, try out what you suggest and see if it seems balanced... There is a formula for the points, but unless the author shares it, we are never gonna be able to work it out, as the actual values are pretty small and different troop types cost the same across various force lists despite having different special rules, etc.

There's no doubt that the lists were not only made to sell Foundry minis, but also tailored to make it easy converting existing Warhamster armies to fit the system.

That being said, I think I can make a very good Isengard army from the Orc Warlords (using the Orc auxiliaries as 'goblins'), Uruk-Hai Warriors = Ironskins, Uruk-Hai Scouts = War Orcs, Uruk-Hai Berserkers = Nutters, etc. I'll have to borrow some units for Uruk-Hai Scout bowmen and Uruk-Hai crossbowmen, but I'll work that out!

I am just now preparing a 24 pts Moria Goblin army with a Troll. Every unit 3 points - LOTS of critters!!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »
I am just now preparing a 24 pts Moria Goblin army with a Troll. Every unit 3 points - LOTS of critters!!

Speaking of which:

Couple more pics on the blog.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2014, 09:30:52 PM »
That's gonna be an interesting force to field!  :D

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2014, 09:43:40 PM »
That's gonna be an interesting force to field!  :D

They'll circle the Dwarves and/or die in droves, while the lone Troll tries to decimate as many enemy units as possible before dying from exhaustion  lol

Sneaky gits; they should avoid any contact with units that can strike back at them, i.e. only attack Formed units from the Unshielded sides  >:D

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2014, 10:51:25 PM »
I'm not quite sure which stove you're referring to? The one currently attached to the chimney is the old one that is going to be replaced by a newer, more efficient type.

Aha! Teach me to read more closely rather than scan on the way to the minis.

Speaking of which, looking good. :) Great to see your LotR stuff here and in the other topic.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2014, 11:48:30 PM »
Aha! Teach me to read more closely rather than scan on the way to the minis.

Speaking of which, looking good. :) Great to see your LotR stuff here and in the other topic.

The minis (and games) are, for certain, the main course; everything else is just sideshows and hocus pocus, but I like to keep track of all those projects interfering with (and, for some, enhancing) my hobbies.  :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2015, 09:49:24 PM »
Not much going on here since a while  :(

Played a game today, Norse Dwarfs vs Lords of Undeath.

More pics/short AAR on my blog.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Argonor's God of Battles Project(s) - New Unit WIP
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2015, 11:01:05 PM »
And so it begins...

I should add lots of progress over the next couple of days. Should...

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2015, 11:24:23 PM »
Looking great, but... plastic? 28mm, Argonor? Tsk tsk tsk.

Comforting to see I'm not the only gamer with the Curse of Ones, too. :D