Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:38:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gallipoli reading list  (Read 1820 times)

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
Gallipoli reading list
« on: July 31, 2008, 03:44:38 PM »
I know about Moorhead's book, but I'm presuming it's gotta be a little dated. Are there any newer books that anyone would recommend? Emphasis on the tactical would be good but not essential.

Thanks

Offline harmonkeys

• Assistant
  • aka Scott Pasha
Re: Gallipoli reading list
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 04:11:08 PM »
They're not new, and their expensive, but I have the official histories (British) for Palestine and Mesopotamia and they are invaluable. I'm sure the same could be said of the Gallipoli volumes. Sold by Battery Press:

http://www.batterypress.com/Book/index.cfm?method=viewbook&BookID=378

or check your library/ inter-library loan for these. Lots of detail.
Scott

Offline pbeccas

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 11:54:51 PM »
The best book I have read on Gallipoli is called "Gallipoli" by Les Carlyon.  Covers the battles in very good detail.  The book starts off with all the political manoeuvres in England, Turkey and Germany.  Moves to the naval battle.  Then covers all the major battles involving the Brits, Anzacs, Turks and French.  It was great to read the Turk and German side of the campaign.  And the French as well, they seem to be the forgotten army at Gallipoli.  Very easy book read.
There will be no Dunkirk here. If we have to get out we will fight our way out. There will be no surrender and no retreat"
Australian General Les Morshead. Hero of Tobruk.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 12:47:37 AM »
Depending on which period of the campaign you wish to develop into gaming.

There have been very good suggestions made here. The Official histories is very good and so is Les Carlyon "Gallipoli".

Pen and Sword have two books which are inexpensive and cover a good deal. They are Helles Landing and Gully Ravine.

If you are interested in the ANZACs then two further books of which the former is a much later addition to the campaign. "The Battle of ANZAC Ridge" by Peter Williams and "Quinn's Post" by Peter Stanley. Both titles speak for themselves.

"Gallipoli 1915 Bloody Ridge (Lone Pine) Diary of Lt Mehmed Fasih 5th Imperial Ottoman Army 1915" is very much recommended from the Turkish side.

I hear that Nigel Steel is working on another Gallipoli book with loads more up to date information.

There is hopefully an English edition to the German contribution at Gallipoli being released most probably next year. At the moment its only pen in German. The author is working on the English edition.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline cdr

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 10:06:01 AM »
Defeat at Gallipoli by Nigel Steel & Peter Hart(1994)
Les poilus d'Orient by Pierrre Miquel (very French and also cavers Salonika)

Offline Chuckaroobob

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 03:06:25 AM »
I'm just starting to read about this period, but out of the five or six books I've read the one I liked best was "The Dardanelles Campaign" by Henry Nevinson, published in 1919.  There is a lot of detail and some fold-out maps in the back, including one 18"x18" with all the Allied trenches of the southern zone.  IIRC, Nevinson was a staff officer there during some of the campaign, and also visited the sites afterwards.
They call me "Point Cow"