Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:53:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: SoBah City Heat game  (Read 3421 times)

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
SoBah City Heat game
« on: July 31, 2008, 10:12:41 PM »

A friend and I have been trying out a few Songs of Blades games over the last two or three weeks. On Monday we tried a Pulp gangsters game, mainly as an excuse for me to drag out my scenery! It's a nice, simple and relatively quick system with loads of scope to fit it into almost any genre with little or no changes.

Here's a picture of the proceedings and the main board, but there's loads more in the Photobucket folders here:

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj278/pez47/Battle%20Boards/SoBaH%20Gangsters%20Game/

Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Erwan

• Bookworm
    • http://terredeshommes.free.fr
Re: SoBah City Heat game
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 11:50:49 PM »
Really good work!! It give me some idea! I think I wll copy some building :D

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 11:54:18 PM »
WOW!!That's a great looking game board! I love the waterfront very noir!!The wood on the water tower and crates look incredably good!As do the figures!Could we have  a game report? looks like the cops are guarding something on the dock and I'm curious!Oh and I hate doing this one small quibble ,the large garbage dumpsters were'nt in use until the 1960s ,I believe.

Offline Luckyjoe

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 12:41:45 AM »
Wow! Great looking Scenery and minis. The waterfront is very nice. Great stuff for my steal ideas .. I mean inspiration folder. :)

Luckyjoe

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 01:12:59 AM »
beautiful scenery  :-*
Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 08:41:47 AM »
Wonderful stuff :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 09:57:56 AM »
That is one nice board!
Are the building sections removable?
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 12:01:55 PM »
Didi you build all the houses yourself???  :o
Beautiful scenery. I had tears in my eyes... (hayfever, of course, but it sounds good).
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Slorm

• Bookworm
    • El Rincón de Slorm
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 12:07:08 PM »
SoBaH in Pulp epoch?
Tell me all! I want the stats!

Oh yes please!!!!! :-* :-*

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 10:30:53 PM »
Cheers Guys :) A battle report might follow. We're replaying the same game on Monday, so I will try to keep some better notes.

To answer your questions:

Odd Duck - You're right about the dumpsters, but I'm not too fussy!

42 - The only solid building is the Steve Barber Tenement - all the others have removable floors and roof sections.

Doomhippie - The three storey red building in the first photo is a series of Ainsty\Old Crow Front Street and Rooftop sections glued together - the same applies to the grey hotel top stories. I've made up two or three of these in the past as they work quite well in most modern genres.

The main body of the grey hotel building is from Armorcasts' Modular Stucco Building range.

Next down is the the Steve Barber Tenement - http://www.sbarber-models.clara.net/main.html.

The warehouse is a Plasticville building (inspired by Grimm).

The two storey green and one story red industrial buildings are from Black Knight Studios and the other dockside buildings are all from Ainsty\Old Crow's Trader Town.

Street Furniture is a mixture of Ainsty and Mega Minitures (I think). The water tower is from a fire engine toy town set that I picked up years ago (and still needs some weathering to be honest).

The baseboards and dock are a custom build from TM Terrain - I've another two basic boards to make a 4 x 4 playing area. It's taken years of collecting to slowly bring it all together!

Slorm - Pulp SoBaH is no stretch. It's only our third game and we are still picking up the rules so we didn't change much. We used the modern weapon range modifier -1, -2 instead of the primitive penalty of -2 and -4, but apart from that just used the basic Special Rules from SoBaH and SoGaD pretty much as written.

For example, we gave the gangsters moll Lilly the Lips, the Distract SoGaD Special Rule to represent her seductive, vamp nature. As we get more experienced, I may lift the weapons list from Mutants and Death Ray Guns, but we kinda like the simplicity of the system, so may not bother. I've XLS warband lists for the Freedom City PD and the O'Hare Boys which I can PM you if you'd like?

Offline Slorm

• Bookworm
    • El Rincón de Slorm
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 10:35:57 PM »
Yes please send it to me,
But how you represented the tompson guns?

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 10:42:11 PM »
Slorm - Nothing more than Shooter Long as all the other handguns were simply Shooter Medium. As I said we kept it really simple, but you could easily use the Assault Rifle stats from MaDRG. PM coming your way...

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 07:01:33 AM »
Fantastic :o
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline postal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 12:38:54 PM »
very cool table.