Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:10:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: First time painting advice  (Read 2715 times)

Offline doowopapocalypse

• Scientist
    • Random Encounters
First time painting advice
« on: July 13, 2014, 01:54:39 PM »
So, I've decided I'm not allowed to buy any more minis until I start painting them. And with this in mind, I spent some Amazon cash on the Warhammer 40k paint starter set. I've been basecoating with the Imperial primer and giving it plenty of drying time, but I've noticed a lot of rub-off. The first was my fault, scraping it with a fingernail, but rubbing off under thumb pressure seemed to be a problem. Is it me or the paints? What should I do to fix this?
It's nothing, sir. Just a burn from a ray gun.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: First time painting advice
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 03:05:06 PM »
Is the primer a spray as if so then you will need to shake if for a good fine minutes before even thinking about spraying (time yourself though otherwise you'll finish well before the time is up).

If it is a pot paint then bin it and buy some Halfords car primer (other automotive brands are available, if not as good).

There will be other suggestions for primers so go with what you can get  :)

Also, maybe washing the figures might help some, I don't believe most people usually bother butit might be worth it.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 04:08:25 PM »
Some figures require a wash before priming, particularly plastic and resin stuff.

Use a decent spray primer - GW or Halfords (if UK based).

Try not to handle the figure when painting it - hold the base or stick it on a holder (wine cork or cotton reel is good).

When it's finished, if you handle it a lot and it's metal the paint will rub off, less so on plastics/resin. You might need to varnish it, but then this can affect the paint job. If it's well prepped, well primed and you handle it by the base, you should have few problems.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 10:10:02 AM »
The guys posting above are quite right in their advice. I'd advise as follows:

1/ Always trim and file the mould lines/flash off your models. Time spent doing this is *never* wasted, and a mouldline through a finished paintjob will ruin it no matter how well you paint.

2/ Wash your models. Warm water, bit of dish soap and a quick scrub with an old toothbrush. No need to spend ages doing this, but it will help paint to stick and to go on smoothly. Metal miniatures often have some residue since the moulds used to cast them are dusted with talc to help release the metal. Also, after cleaning up mould lines and flash, it's worth making sure there's nothing stuck there. Let them air dry, and try to avoid handling them much after washing.

3/ Attach your models to something so that you can hold them without touching the models. This will keep any oils from your skin off the model and help the paint stick. You can either use bluetack/poster putty to stick the model to an old paint pot, or pin the model to a cork, or even use some clamps like I do:

4/ Prime the model with a primer. Primer is not the same as regular paint. I would recommend an automotive spray-on primer - it's cheaper than hobby spray paints, dries smoother, and sticks to the model better (as it is designed for spraying metal car bodies). You can choose to use either black or white for your primer, and different people recommend either. You can also prime different colours too, and I usually favour grey. Keep the application thin - you need to cover the model, but don't worry if there are some spots of bare metal.

5/ Paint away with your paints of choice. I recommend putting some paint on a pallete (an old white plate or tile works well) and add a brushful or two of clean water to it. Then paint with several thin layers for each coat of colour (it might take three of four coats for a solid colour). Thinning your paints like this helps to ensure that the detail on your model is not obscured, and that the paint dries completely between coats.

6/ When you are finished, you will want to varnish your models. Lots of advice here from all sorts of people, but I find the following gives me the best of everything: varnish with some clear non-yellowing brush-on varnish. Keep it thin and don't let it pool. Let this dry for 24hours at least (or whatever it recommends on the tin if longer). Finally, use a matte varnish you give you a more natural finish - either a spray (like Testors Dullcote) or a brush-on is fine. The varnish will protect the model from handling, and the two-step will give you both maximum protection (gloss) and the best-looking finish (matte).

Basically, then; careful prep and handling, careful painting with thin coats, and finally suitable varnishing. Letting everything dry fully at each stage is also important. Following the above, I've never had any model ever scuff/chip/rub off, regardless of the model's material.

Offline leegwonfu

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 01:42:34 PM »
All very good advice. I would only suggest that you try a brush-on primer like Vallejo's, to see if you like it. I use it pretty much exclusively these days. You have to go back and do some touch-up work once the initial coat is dry, but you have to do that when you spray, as well (at least I always had to).

I would also try basecoating a model in black, and the same one (or similar) in white, to see which method you prefer. There are many who prefer one over the other (some vehemently...), but you should decide for yourself.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 03:05:13 PM »
Just to be annoying, I use a brush-on primer and then a spray-on over the top when dry. This gives me 100% coverage even in the cracks and crevices, yet also gives me a sturdy painting surface.

I use the Vallejo brush-on and am working through my Army Painter spray, after which I'll be swapping back to a car primer (I like them better and you can get them cheaper).
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline doowopapocalypse

• Scientist
    • Random Encounters
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 03:09:03 PM »
Thanks all. I've read some good things about Krylon as a primer, anyone ever used that?

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 04:56:39 PM »
Being based in the UK, and after trying out a few different sprays, I now only use Halford's spray paints (which are really excellent).

However, Krylon Primer and Duplicolor Sandable Primer are the two automotive spray paints I find recommended on the 'net by those in the US most often. I do not have direct personal experience of these, but I think you'd do perfectly well with these if they are what you have available locally.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 05:13:52 PM »
Great Dark Angels!

I too really like the Vallejo primers, and I airbrush mine. I let them sit for a day before painting.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 06:57:45 PM »
Some really good advice here even for someone that is a veteran at painting.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 07:07:00 PM »
Some really good advice here even for someone that is a veteran at painting.

My thoughts exactly!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline redeaston

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 10:46:54 AM »
I have recently moved over to brush on Vallejo primers. Partly because they work out loads cheaper than spray on primers, but also because I can prime any time. Spray primers can be temperamental if it’s too humid/hot/cold. Brush ons don’t have this problem and I can prime in the house, in the car at lunch time, hotel rooms when travelling etc.

I have never washed any of my models prior to priming but I know some people swear by it. I would defiantly echo the comments about cleaning up the figures prior to painting though. This means removing mould lines and filling gaps.

I generally prime in black unless the model is going to be primarily white or very light coloured.