Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:53:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686648
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Made some new terrain - rocks and crossoads  (Read 3148 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Made some new terrain - rocks and crossoads
« on: August 01, 2008, 04:12:32 PM »
I've been making some new terrain, first up, a crossroads board, using 2mm cobbled styrene sheets from Antenociti to cut up into strips to make the roads... Decided my village centre needs a bit more than just dirt tracks  ;)

I've tried to get the effect of the road having been robbed away not very far out of the village centre though!

The verges are built up from my normal PVA/paint/sand/grit mix. The base board is standard 5mm MDF. I now have about 16 of these boards. They still don't take up much space.

Next up, some rocky outcrops.

I bought three of these expanded foam outcrops for a tenner from Purbeck Terrain at Salute a couple of years ago, and have just got round to doing something with them.

In their virgin state, they look like this...

Not too bad, as you can see - but representational rather than realistic. I wanted to make them look a bit more, well.. rocky.

So I used the Dremel to remove the rather obvious 'step' and most of the horrible 'sawdust grade' flock, then added loads of PVA/sand/gravel gloop and a few extra bits and pieces of rock, then gave the whole thing a good repaint before finishing with static grass / flock mix...
Nicer I think... I've done two of them so far. They will make excellent wayside tors for my highwaymen to ambush from  :D

I believe Purbeck Terrain do dozens of fairly random variants of these outcrops - so I might get a few more and try to make up an entire Khyber Pass board from them...

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Made some new terrain - rocks and crossoads
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 04:24:25 PM »
Splendid stuff Captain. I particulalry like the way the cobbles give way to dirt track. Most effective. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 04:24:39 PM »
Them's some creepy highwaymen! :D

I love that crossroads board. Great idea with the stolen cobbles. Creates a realistic, "lived-in" feel for the board.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 04:54:04 PM »
Great stuff. Looks very realistic.  :-*

By the way, who's that blue chappie in the next to last picture?

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 04:58:32 PM »
Great stuff. Looks very realistic.  :-*

By the way, who's that blue chappie in the next to last picture?

He looks like a servitor of the outer gods.....

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 05:22:05 PM »
Gotcha. One of the em4 ones, isn't it? Old Grenadier or something.

I keep looking at them and wondering what they're really like cos the pictures aren't up to much, but that looks really nice. 

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 06:15:25 PM »
Looks good. Nice board, I want to play on it!

As a tip though I would suggest doing your grass slighlty differently. If you use flock that is a green/brown colour first, then add the brighter green static grass when the flock has dried. Apply the brighter grass in the middle of the green/brown patch.

If you look at the way grass grows on poor ground it dies around the edge, or at least goes a bit brown. Then in the middle where the soil is slightly richer and moisture is easier to retain it is the healthies lush part of the plant.

ANyway, on my home page there are several examples of the grass shown. I think it makes the grass look more believable really. Having the bright green just stop looks a bit false and detracts from the overall effect slightly.

http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 11:23:55 PM »

Gotcha. One of the em4 ones, isn't it? Old Grenadier or something.

I keep looking at them and wondering what they're really like cos the pictures aren't up to much, but that looks really nice. 

Yep, it's the one on the left in this picture... They are jolly nice little sculpts actually.

Truthfully, I'm not into Cthulhu, but I ordered a few from EM4 for season 1 of the LPL - and then went and found a big bag of about 60 of the little blighters in a box in the loft! Someone who had given up role-playing had given them to me - and I hadn't even known what they were  ;)

Anyway, this 'servitor' was one of several that were in that bag. Lovely to paint too - all that relief detail...

ANyway, on my home page there are several examples of the grass shown. I think it makes the grass look more believable really. Having the bright green just stop looks a bit false and detracts from the overall effect slightly.

Thanks for the tip. It's a fair point, but I'm afraid I am a sucker for bright green grass  :? (although the photography makes it look more verdant than it actually is... )
I have several shades and blends, but confess I generally end up using this one for my temperate zone bases / terrain.
It's actually a cunning mix of four different static grasses and scatter materials ('turf') in different grades and colours!

Oh look - there it is again on my Cthulhu bases  :D

Offline Maenoferren

• Bookworm
    • Triple Ace Games
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 03:36:05 PM »
I like the road and rocks... really useful in any games...

Offline BigMecha

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 02:41:56 AM »
wow! awesome terrain and miniatures!

:::: Cthulhu miniatures would come in handy when playing :::::::::::::::
::::: Ancients::::::::
:::::: World War I :::::::
::::::: World War II ::::::::
:::::::: Science Fiction :::::::
:::::::::::    Fantasy   :::::::::::::::