Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:35:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691269
  • Total Topics: 118383
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warband: Monsters and Mercenaries. Scenarios being added (20 Sept)  (Read 6583 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
EDIT: Here are the latest rules (as of 2 August) https://www.dropbox.com/s/3lwq059gihm21pk/warbandmonstersandmercenaries.pdf Feel free to have a browse. I'd also appreciate any feedback if you do. I really want to get the mechanics written so that everyone will understand.
unEDIT(?)

I'm working on a set of fantasy rules for skirmish battles, 1-12 minis per side. (unknown timeframe at the moment)
Basically I have these monsters so far and am wondering what else I could put in to satisfy a fantasy theme.
Are there any creatures I am missing that are quite obvious? I'm thinking generic fantasy monsters here but am somewhat willing to go outside the box. (just focus mainly on the bold names as there are about 90-odd names in total.
Humans
Warrior
Archer
Peasant
Knight
Wizard
Skilled Wizard
Warrior Wizard
Priest
King
Barbarians
Archer
Warrior
Berserker
Lycanthrope
Shaman
Skilled Shaman
Master Shaman
Chieftain
Insectoids
Queen
Soldier
Slinger
Wasp Raider
Burrower
Dark Elves
Warrior
Archer
Skilled Archer
Assassin
Lord of the Sword
Lord of the Bow
Sorcerer
Skilled Sorcerer
Master Sorcerer
Fanatic
Dwarves
Warrior
Shield maiden
King
Sorcerer
Sorcerer - skilled
Crossbowman
Crossbowman - skilled
Steam golem
Elves
Archer
Skilled Archer
Soldier
Mage
Skilled Mage
Master Mage
King
Skilled Cleric
Blademaster
Exceptional Creatures
Elder Dragon
Lich Ancient
Demon Lord
Goblinoids
Gremlin
Goblin warrior
Goblin Archer
Goblin Warlock
Goblin Skilled Warlock
Goblin King
Orc Warrior
Orc Archer
Orc Warlock
Orc Skilled Warlock
Orc King
Lizardfolk
Shaman
Skilled Shaman
Lizard Warrior
Serpent Warrior
Javelineer
Brute
Chief
Monsters & Mercenaries
Mercenaries
Ogre
Troll
Giant
Witch
Monsters
Gorgon
Basilisk
Dragon
Spider, Giant
Scorpion, Giant
Snake, Giant
Wolf, Great
Treant
Manticore
Griffin
Hydra
Undead
Necromancer
Skilled Necromancer
Liche
Zombie
Skeleton
Skeleton Archer
Wight
Ghost

Undead can also recruit undead versions of mercenaries and Monsters, others jst recruit the regular version of them.
I've developed a formula for working out points systems so I have already developed stat bars for all these creatures and the points to go with them. Which would also allow people to make their own creatures.
 Later on I'll be playtesting through to see how well the rules work (I've given it a small go) but also to see how well the points work. I'm a bit unsure of the weighting on archers and Magic users (which aren't overpowered, in fact an archer is generally more dangerous than a wizard of the same level.

So as I asked back at the beginning. What am I missing.

Thanks

Beefy
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:10:12 AM by beefcake »

Offline Booboo

• Scientist
I'm a big fan of rats

Ratlings

Slaves
soldier
Shaman
Warlord

and depending on the RPG elements you'll want in skirmish sessions you might want some other classes.  Thieves spring quickly to mind, disarming/detecting traps, spotting the hidden, backstabbing, etc.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Rats could be good yes. :)
Not really RPG but I do have some special rules for stealth and infiltration.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Not really RPG but I do have some special rules for stealth and infiltration.

In that case an Assassin.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
Some evil dwarves, halflings, gnomes and beastmen would be nice to incorporate, as well as wraiths, ghouls and vampires in the undead section. Having an animals category would be nice for bears, lions, gorrillas and such. And of course for the monster section, a chimera and a jabberwock :)
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
In that case an Assassin.

I initially had this in the mercenary section but then thought, no the dark elves have one don't need two. I may make a human assassin that is weaker than the dark elf one. I'm working on some rat ones right now too.
Some evil dwarves, halflings, gnomes and beastmen would be nice to incorporate, as well as wraiths, ghouls and vampires in the undead section. Having an animals category would be nice for bears, lions, gorrillas and such. And of course for the monster section, a chimera and a jabberwock :)
All good recommendations, not keen on gnomes myself but good for completion. Was also thinking wraiths and ghouls and was also thinking about vampires. Never thought of the animals though.

Thanks all.

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
You make my gnomes sad :(.

Gnolls & boarmen - or put them in with beastmen.

Elementals

Fishmen & crabmen

Woodland creatures
Faun
Centaurs
Satyr
Fae
Wild elves
Brownies
Dryads
Treemen

Demons

Undead
Mummy
Tomb scarabs
Werewolves
Dire wolves
Gallows Gaunt
Bats,Giant
Banshee
Wraith
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 07:53:36 AM by maxxev »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
I had a play through the rules today, just by myself.
Barbarians vs undead. Barbarians won. It was pretty close though which I'm happy about.
The undead had 4 zombies, 3 archers, and a wight
The barbarians had 2 warriors a berserker, a chief and a master shaman. The only survivors were a warrior on 1 Health and the shaman on 3. He magic may have been a bit overpowered but he killed less than his points worth although did tie up half the zombies for the game before killing the  and an archer. I may make the points for magic up a bit higher. Magic attacks have a lower range than archers but he used cover well to get into range with his spells while the archers were still at long range.
The simultaneous combat system worked well and there was a fair amount of strategy needed with sending the right troops I the right direction so you didn't get overwhelmed by opponents.
If anyone wants to give the rules a go just PM me and I'll send a PDF of the rules to you. No doubt I'll need to do a lot of explaining as I haven't got any pictures explaining the examples. The only thing I ask for in return is feedback on how games went, what needs fixing, what works, what doesn't.
I may even work on writing up a game report.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
I've had two takers. Thanks guys. I'll be giving the game more of a playtested tonight when my brother comes over. I'll try to take some photos and do a battle report (never done one before so it may be a bit dodgy.)

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
I am pretty interested in the rules, but didn't contact you as I don't see myself having time for playtesting or trying out rules  :'(

In a few months when out little one is a bit bigger and the weather is better for being inside, I'll ge more than happy to give your rules a shot!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Sure thing :)
Just finished the game a while ago. I lost,   >:(  lol goblins vs undead. I'll make a proper bat rep tomorrow, I took photos but forgot about notes. Got some feedback from my brother too and found a few things that need points balancing and some revisions. Ie. necromancy is quite powerful. Will have to limit that.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
You'll have to excuse the poor photography and bad scenery (I generally just like buying and painting minis)
This battle was good to help me sort out some of the rules that need some refining.
We just used miniatures I had at hand as my brother lives a fair way away (4 hours) and didn't have any miniatures.
He was in charge of the Undead Warband. He chose a Skilled Necromancer, 3 undead Warriors (Lefty, Righty and Axey) and a Scorpion from the Monster List.

For me I had A goblinoid warband. I made this entirely of Goblins.
1 Goblin King, 2 Goblin Warriors, 2 Goblin Archers and a Troll from the Monsters List.

The game relies upon a creatures reaction to decide the turn order. Those with an lower reaction place a counter in the turn order first followed by those of higher reaction (any equals then refer to the main warband race initiative to solve any ties) So the Skeletons having a low reaction ended up having to place their actions counter first followed by the Necromancer (who had an equal reaction to the goblin warriors and archers but a lower race initiative) Then the Goblins and troll would take their actions followed by the scorpion and finally the goblin king. This would possibly bring the skeletons closer before the archers could fire upon them. (Essentially those with the best reaction choose when they want their creature to play, those with the worst reaction don't get much say at all when they go)
Turn order:
Skeleton Lefty
Skeleton Axey
Skeleton Righty
Necromancer
Goblin Warrior Upsy (with the spear up)
Goblin Warrior Downsy (spear down)   (Doesn't always turn out being lowest reaction moves first, usually does at the start though)
Goblin Archer Shooty (shooting stance)
Goblin Archer Waity (not shooting stance)
Troll
Scorpion
Goblin King
TURN 1:

The Skeletons, Scorpion and Necromancer all advance on the Goblins The skeletons run (meaning they can't run next turn) The Troll moves behind some difficult terrain to hopefully stop and people trying to charge into him while the archers move to position themselves for a better shot at the skeletons. The goblin warriors move to protect the archers and the Goblin King hides behind the Troll.

TURN 2:
The Reaction order remains the same in order to bring the skeletons closer before the archers fire.

The skeletons move closer to the goblins in a group so they don't get overwhelmed by the cowardly goblins. The necromancer moves behind the altar for some cover while the scorpion moves into cover to prepare to charge forward the next turn. Now that the skeletons are in range the goblins open fire. It is at long range (over half) so the goblins on throw 1 combat dice each. Each combat dice hits on a 4,5,6 in melee and archery. The first goblin fails to hit but the second scores a hit. As the skeletons are "Already Dead" hits need to be rerolled to determine whether they hit something vital. The roll is good and the aim is good. To prevent being hit a creature needs to roll under their reaction to see whether they make a lucky dodge/see the archer preparing to fire etc and the skeleton makes a lucky dodgy rolling a 3 on a d10 (needing 4 or less).
No melee combat yet

TURN 3:
The reaction order remains the same

Skeletons run forward getting much closer to the goblins, next turn they should be in combat.

The necromancer casts an attacking spell against the Troll but fails to cause any damage. The archers, now at close range to the skeletons both fire on the skeletons. Axey takes 1 damage from each of them failing his reaction roll each time. The troll, Warriors and Goblin King stay where they are. The Scorpion scuttles forward.

TURN 4:

In a silly move, with the reaction I decide to have my warriors and Troll act first and charge into the skeletons. (During the turn I realise I should have had my archers perform their actions first and shoot at the skeletons in close range before getting the warriors to close in) The King moves into position to charge into the skeletons in the next turn. So the archers move to get the Necromancer into their sights for the following turn to fire upon the spellcaster. The necromancer hits the Troll for 1 damage.
Melee time:
The 2 goblins outnumber the 1 skeleton they are fighting so are not affected by the cowardly rule (meaning they need to be defensive) The Troll is in combat with the skeleton. The combat takes the same order as per the turn order so lefty is attacking the 2 Goblins. He has 3 combat dice so needs to split these between the 2 goblins however he wishes. He also needs to elect whether he is being offensive or defensive. He elcts defensive and splits 2 to the goblin on his right and 1 to the goblin on his left. Both goblins offensively fight with 2 combat dice against the 1 skeleton. One goblin rolls blocks, 1,2 or 3 and as he was being offensive he needs to reroll these to see if they block successfully. Unfortunately both miss blocking and are counted as a miss. The skeleton rolls 2 hits and as he was being defensive he needs to reroll these and they both end up as hits killing the unlucky goblin. The second Goblin manages 1 hit on the skeleton which ends up being blocked.
The troll and the other skeleton end up in a stale mate.

TURN 5 and 6:
After determining the turn order the Archers fire upon the necromancer who at long range and in cover ends up a very hard target and escapes unscathed. He casts a spell in turn against the Troll which ends up fizzling in the air before reaching his target. The scorpion charges into the side of the troll. The goblin King charges into the skeleton.
The battle between the goblin (who being cowardly and not outnumbering the skeleton can now only fight defensively) and the skeleton remains a stalemate much to the goblin's surprise.
The battle with the second skeleton (righty) with the goblin king and the troll ends up with the skeleton spending 2 dice on the troll and 1 on the goblin king. The goblin king uses 3 dice on the skeleton and the Troll only uses 1 on the skeleton saving his other 3 for the scorpion in a later combat. After 2 turns of combat (with the archer and necromancer both firing arrows and magical bolts about the place to no effect) The Troll ends up finishing off the skeleton and severely damaging the scorpion with his hulking ability. The scorpion then ends up poisoning the troll leaving him a dead heap on the ground.

TURN 7 onwards:
The Scorpion, with the higher reaction, charges into the Goblin King before the archers can fire upon him. The archers try again to hit the necromancer but again fail to do so. The necromancer luckily manages to raise from the dead the Troll, who is now under his command (although at much worse stats) Over the next few turns the scorpion manages to move about killing the last of the goblins even the one that remained in a stalemate with the skeleton for the entire game. The Resurrected Troll shambles about doing absolutely nothing. The Scorpion engages 2 goblin archers at once and manages to kill them both.

In the end the scorpion and skeleton were left with 1 Health each and the  Necromancer survived unscathed.

In reflection I think I need to tone down the Necromantic ability, even though the Troll didn't do anything, it did seem to make the ending very undead dominated. (basically for raising something from the dead you roll however many Hit points that creature has and depending on the skill of the necromancer if they roll a 1,2 or 2 1's or 2's etc they fail the resurrection. I may change this to 1,2,3.

After feedback from my bro.

He really enjoyed the group battle dynamic. This made ganging up on someone a good thing to do, but while doing this it did leave you open for attacks in other places.

He liked how the reaction system worked in ordering your turn. It works thematically although sometimes we did seem to forget about this. I'll be making up some little counters to go with the PDF on which you can put the name of the creature and their hitpoints for ease of playing.

Movement around obstacles was difficult so I have changed that rule. Originally it was that you could only run in straight lines so I have now changed it to allowing 1 turn and normal moves have unlimited turns.

It was a fun game. Some poor strategy on my part contributed to my loss. The archers could have taken out another skeleton before the melee began. I should have commited my Troll to attacking the Scorpion only as the poison rule hurt him quite badly. Also unluckily my Troll didn't regenerate at all during the game but that is just luck of the dice.

Thanks for reading. I think this may have been the biggest post I have made. Now lets hope there isn't a power cut before I click POST.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:09:46 AM by beefcake »

Online eptingmike

• Bookworm
Re: Warband: Monsters and Mercenaries. Now with Battle Report, 27 July
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 06:29:52 PM »
Very cool!
As an aside, who makes the goblin with the very long spear?

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 06:40:17 PM »
If you use a lot more terrain obstacles you could make a more tactical game.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 01:57:42 AM »
Yep, more terrain would be good (on my to buy list now) I'm also thinking of having area effect weapons/spells to make people needing to split up the minis a bit more.

The goblins are by Tre Manor. I don't know if they are still on his site though. Red Box games. He has some nice swordsmen though that are in the same style.