Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:46:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Re: AKULA's Apocalypse Isle Miniatures - 29 NEW FIGURES (pg 19)  (Read 74893 times)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: AKULA's Apocalypse Isle Miniatures - first finished greens pg5
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2014, 11:13:05 AM »
... And some stiletto wielding ladyboys. lol

At this point we might want to define some limits on what 'a fantasy island' is as regards this project.  lol

It's all looking good though, I just hope it's all still available by the time I've settled in my new job and location - which could be some months.

:)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2014, 04:12:26 PM »
eeerr thanks Dan..... But can we call time now on anymore photos of VW conversions

;) lol

Plenty more greens in the works - missed the postman delivering the first batch from Ian Mountain today, but will pick them up tomorrow and get some comparison photos done.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2014, 05:25:22 PM »
They only stopped making Kombis in Brazil last year but despite that, the overwhelming majority you see on the roads are aged and clapped out versions used as alternative transport by budding entrepreneurs.  Kombi is shorthand for gypsy taxi-van, even now that the majority aren't the classic kombi. My wife and I were trapped inside one on a 30 + C on Itaparica a few years ago. It was 30 something outside but was soon about 40 inside as we were packed in like sardines. The doors failed, the conductor/fare collector who always sits up front couldn't get it open and the enormous woman who was closest to the door got wedged trying to get out the window (that was never going to happen). Funny in retrospect. Could have done with the open roof version then.

You do see quite a few in a utility/ pick up truck configuration. I recall there was a factory built version but quite a few people have done their own conversions. I once saw one that someone had converted in a fairly rough and ready fashion into a flat bed truck.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2014, 07:21:24 AM »
I've often thought that Pattaya Thailand would be a good setting for an Post Apocalypse game. It has a beach setting, possible Russian Mafia connections, Local Police and Army Forces. Stranded tourists trying to survive day to day. Indian and Thai locals etc etc. Pirates, Muslim separatists etc. I have quite a few of the Foundry Street War packs, so when this project was announced it reminded me of my thoughts. Not sure how deep Akula is going with this but it has my interest.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2014, 09:34:20 AM »
I've often thought that Pattaya Thailand would be a good setting for an Post Apocalypse game. It has a beach setting, possible Russian Mafia connections, Local Police and Army Forces. Stranded tourists trying to survive day to day. Indian and Thai locals etc etc. Pirates, Muslim separatists etc. I have quite a few of the Foundry Street War packs, so when this project was announced it reminded me of my thoughts. Not sure how deep Akula is going with this but it has my interest.

Russian Mafia? No, but I have got Cartel/drug smugglers on my todo list
Local Police/Army? Apoc Isle will be a bit lawless but will have a uniformed paramilitary bnch amongst the options.
Stranded Tourists? LOTS.
Indian/Thai Locals? Definitely have a variety of "locals" on the list from a variety of origins from around the Asia-Pacific region (which as Scurv pointed out gives a lot of options).
Pirates? YES
Separatists? Should be usable options.

Without going into too much detail, the scale of this project is bigger than anything I've produced before.... My current commissions are a mix of dollies and one-off greens, which will give some real breadth to the project, but also hopefully some real characters.  My last (space opera) project had roughly 50 poses.... I'd like this project to go a LOT further, and keep growing....

All of this depends of course upon how much interest the initial wave of releases gets - I don't want to KS this so have paid for everything upfront, which means you will be able to get your hands on the castings a lot quicker than a Kickstarter. All proceeds from the initial wave of releases will go straight back into an additional wave of greens.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2014, 02:07:27 PM »
 :o

another interesting thing... I am quite interested in see the Asia-pacific characters... I hope we will be treated also with well military equipped (with proper clothing and webbing opposed to semi-naked rag-tag) attractive female miniatures!  lol
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2014, 01:46:00 AM »
I love that photographer. Looking forward to some of the armed and unarmed civilians.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2014, 09:07:15 AM »
All of this depends of course upon how much interest the initial wave of releases gets - I don't want to KS this so have paid for everything upfront, which means you will be able to get your hands on the castings a lot quicker than a Kickstarter. All proceeds from the initial wave of releases will go straight back into an additional wave of greens.

You can't really knock a 'business plan' which essentially says "You keep buying them and I'll keep making them".  :D

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2014, 10:42:35 AM »
Bugger  >:(  I am on spending restraint at the moment as I need to build a new gaming room. My partner will be using my current gamesroom as a workroom for her dressmaking. I might need a bigger loan to get some of these figures and vehicles. :-*

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #84 on: September 04, 2014, 08:04:37 AM »
Quick update:

Spoke to Griffin and should have castings of the Landrover and VW Camper van by this time next week.

Also more greens on their way - armed/unarmed civilians, plus some pirate types.

Once they arrive will get the first figure mould made.

Will also take that comparison photo asap - currently away from home, but back tomorrow.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2014, 01:53:25 PM »
The first finished greens....plenty more to follow.  Intentionally basic poses, as future greens will be converted, more kit, weapons etc.

Unarmed Civilians (sculpted by Ian Mountain)

Excellent!  Not my size so they won't be in my collection but they should be very much sought after by the larger figure crowd.

Your work is inspiring to a lot of LAF'ers.

Gracias,

Glenn

Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2014, 02:06:19 PM »
They are very nice figures, and this project is more and more interesting!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: AKULA's Apocalypse Isle Miniatures - New Greens (5th Sept) page 6
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2014, 08:14:36 PM »
Some new greens.

Will stick a comparison photo up (the squares are 1/2") on average the figures in the project are 30-32mm to the top of the head, but some will be a smidge bigger/smaller as people come in all shapes and sizes.  The Ian Mountain civvies are a little taller/bulkier than the Shane Hoyle ones.

:D

HK416 licensed from Hasslefree Miniatures

« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 10:21:48 AM by AKULA »

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2014, 08:19:25 PM »
Those are bonkers! I like them all and especially the hurley fellow.
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2014, 08:36:52 PM »
 :o :-* :-* These are brilliant, want, want, want ;D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:38:32 PM by elysium64 »