Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:35:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691156
  • Total Topics: 118377
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: IS EOTD Dead?  (Read 5849 times)

Offline MikeH

• Bookworm
Re: IS EOTD Dead?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 09:17:07 PM »
I think the problem is a disconnect between the rules writers and the figures that have been produced

you can love it or hate this idea it but if a figure manufacturer produces a range of figures and a set of rules then they should match up and in EOTD they don't quite do that (they nearly do but there a few issues)

However I think the biggest issue is Westwind are working really hard on the War and Empire rules and figures that they just don't have the bandwidth to support EOTD and fix the few minor issues in the rules and also sculpt up the missing figs

maybe once that's done they can go back and inject a bit of life back into EOTD

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 09:21:07 PM »
We're pretty much referring to the parent company no longer supporting it with new releases etc - this stops a game from "growing"

I love Vor the Maelstrom to bits, but unless I play with another big fan - it's not a game its very easy to get people to play.
I see your point.

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 09:34:22 PM »
I have to add I LOVE EotD - what I am annoyed with is promises made and then promises broken.

The disregard for questions, problems, and fans feelings/opinions is ridiculous of them. They should AT THE VERY LEAST release a set of rules allowing people to design their own Factions for the game - then people COULD write their own rules for the miniatures they have released, and as of yet not either released rules (or done them justice) - at the moment, anything a "Fan" writes is unofficial, a "Faction Builder" would be such a sensible way to go - AND put EotD in a position where it could compete a little with IHMN.

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 09:56:32 PM »
They should AT THE VERY LEAST release a set of rules allowing people to design their own Factions for the game - then people COULD write their own rules for the miniatures they have released, and as of yet not either released rules (or done them justice) - at the moment, anything a "Fan" writes is unofficial, a "Faction Builder" would be such a sensible way to go - AND put EotD in a position where it could compete a little with IHMN.
Yes it would in fact I don't think IHMN would even have a Gothic Horror supplement if EOTD hadn't been so mishandled. The refusal to answer questions has put everyone's back up it smacks of the Evil Empire.

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 10:01:57 PM »
I know IHMN has a lot of fans, but I found the Gothic Horror stuff for it laughably poor.

I think whats happened with EotD is born more out of a "can't be bothered" attitude than a deliberate attempt to shut people out to be frank.

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 10:10:48 PM »
I know IHMN has a lot of fans, but I found the Gothic Horror stuff for it laughably poor.

I think whats happened with EotD is born more out of a "can't be bothered" attitude than a deliberate attempt to shut people out to be frank.
I agree on both counts IHMN is a fine game I own it but it was never intended for Gothic Horror. I don't think Westwind is acting out of malice they have decided to launch a whole new product range right after the Requiem KS and can't be bothered. But instead of doing small things to keep the EOTD ball rolling after such a huge KS they will have to push the ball over a very large hump to get EOTD rolling again.

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 10:12:41 PM »
It would be so easy to do - give it over to a few enthusiastic fans to write "Official" Fan material, maybe releasing an official PDF full of new ideas etc

So easy, if you can be bothered . . . ..

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 10:56:48 PM »
On the plus side, I think a lot of people bought into the KS because they were getting a decent stack of minis (or vehicles, or both).
Some official rules for new things would be useful, but most of my figures just went into filling gaps in existing factions, and will probably never get used for "official" use.
The requiem PDF has a lot of gaps, but I haven't bothered sending WW any feedback on how it might be improved. If they sent out 500 copies and only got feedback from a dozen they might not actually have much incentive to do anything else....

But then again, we could be waiting for the Wargods of Olympus KS.....
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 11:06:40 PM »
Utilize that mag they have and allow some fan entries or even just pics of alternate gangs.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 11:35:01 PM »
but short of doing a few demos ...

Then run a demo or two  :)

And a proper game, not that nasty Holmes and Jack the Ripper thing they have  :)

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 03:54:22 AM »
I hate the official demo scenario it doesn't give players the flavor of the game. :-[ 

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 04:09:57 AM »
Exactly, the real fun of the game is doming up with your own gang, not messing about with some half-bothered Sherlock/Jack the ripper scenario.

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 06:57:00 AM »
On the plus side, I think a lot of people bought into the KS because they were getting a decent stack of minis (or vehicles, or both).
Some official rules for new things would be useful, but most of my figures just went into filling gaps in existing factions, and will probably never get used for "official" use.
The requiem PDF has a lot of gaps, but I haven't bothered sending WW any feedback on how it might be improved. If they sent out 500 copies and only got feedback from a dozen they might not actually have much incentive to do anything else....

But then again, we could be waiting for the Wargods of Olympus KS.....

People have given feedback and been given the cold shoulder and its not just typos, clarity on some rulings have been requested and its just been deafed off.

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 11:06:50 AM »
Then run a demo or two  :)

Hi there, today I'm running demo's of Empire of the Dead - the core rulebook has glaring omissions and the supplement isn't finished yet.

Would you like a game . . . .. .

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 11:16:17 AM »
OK Chaps, I think we have taken this thread as far as it can go. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing