Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:24:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689347
  • Total Topics: 118275
  • Online Today: 648
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The battle for Flashman's Column  (Read 2891 times)

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
The battle for Flashman's Column
« on: July 24, 2014, 04:19:11 AM »
Sterling Moose and I finally got around to playing our first game of IHMN tonight. We kept it basic. Mr, Moose was playing the Prince of Wales Extraordinary company and I was playing a hastily assembled Scotland Yard company, with several plain clothes officers helping out their brother constables. We chose the king of the hill scenario and the Battle for Flashman's Column was under way.

My coppers rushed down the board, securing the objective and then charged as the Extra Ordinaries calmly and slowly picked them off

Unfortunately the truncheons we no match for bayonets and men died like flies

Even the consulting detective was lost as he failed his pluck test

It was a clear defeat for Scotland Yard and the Extraordinary company celebrated their victory by taking their picture in front of the column

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 05:34:19 AM by Chairface »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: The battle for Flashman's Column
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 06:49:29 AM »
Great looking town setup

We had a similar result with Scotland Yard vs Legion Etranger. The rifle fire of the soldiers is just too much for the coppers. Scotland Yard do seem one of the weaker factions.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 09:53:58 AM »
Great looking town setup

We had a similar result with Scotland Yard vs Legion Etranger. The rifle fire of the soldiers is just too much for the coppers. Scotland Yard do seem one of the weaker factions.

They seem to be oriented towards games where puzzle-solving is more important than physical combat (?) unless reinforced with heavy firepower from what I read.  Not having played Scotland Yard I may be just drawing conclusions based on a few reports.  I will look at them to see exactly what the options are...

Pistols and truncheons for weapons per IHMN page 36; Lined coats and (Chief Inspector) Brigandine.  Options are nice (Carbine, Vulcan Coat,) but seemed like oriented to dealing with Brick Lane Commune.  HVF adds some more transportation and talents for the Consulting Detective.  SDRS boosts the weaponry (Edison) for melee.

Not an extremely overly powerful for missile fire (Pistols and some Carbines) or melee and not heavily armored.  Dealing with 'rabble heavy' forces (Brick Lane Commune, The Tong, Apache, Outlaws, Red Sect, ) or The Wild West Show/U-Troop/Secret Service/Texas Ranger/Mexican Rebels/Le Cabinet Noir/Hellfire Club/Okhrana/"early" Lord Curr's Company (maybe) they should do well I would think.  Need to consider some of the SDRS before wildly guessing any more...  ::)  lol   o_o   :-X

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 09:57:43 AM »
Rather than a weakness of the Constabulary faction, we, at Horse Guards, regard it as a clear indication that this victory is testament indeed to superior tactics and leadership.  Captain Napier has regaled the Mess with the tale, while footing the bill for, more than a few, bottles of the bubbly stuff.
To coin a phrase from Brigadier Turner, "Tally Ho"   :D
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Silbuster

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 03:43:44 PM »
It can help if you have a pea-souper or collateral damage. We use a limit of 6 for the latter which makes people far more careful.

However, what really helps Scotland Yard is to include the firearms team in the shapely shape of WPC Sniper Sue:
Pluck 5+, FV 0+, SV 2+, Speed 0, Huntress, Markswoman, Hunting rifle, Magneto-static bodice.

She really keeps the ********'s heads down as the coppers charge in.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 04:06:06 PM »
It can help if you have a pea-souper or collateral damage. We use a limit of 6 for the latter which makes people far more careful.

However, what really helps Scotland Yard is to include the firearms team in the shapely shape of WPC Sniper Sue:
Pluck 5+, FV 0+, SV 2+, Speed 0, Huntress, Markswoman, Hunting rifle, Magneto-static bodice.

She really keeps the ********'s heads down as the coppers charge in.

Which, since it is not part of the various incarnations of the force int he three books, requires your opponent to agree to the modification.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Silbuster

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 05:23:54 PM »
Which, since it is not part of the various incarnations of the force int he three books, requires your opponent to agree to the modification.
Anybody using heavy weapons on the streets of London has got it coming to them. So stuff the agreement.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 09:59:58 PM »

We happened to be playing on the sands of Africa!

Offline Bren

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 10:13:35 PM »
Including a police sniper or marksman would be an easy conversion too. Find an appropriate rifle armed copper model and plant a nice big (shiny brass) scope on top of the rifle.

You could even think about a "spotter" model to increase SV. ie. another bobby model with an oversized telescope.  :D

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 11:10:32 PM »
Nice one! the only thing I miss is a complete picture of the Flashman's Column, what's on the top of the column?

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 03:08:15 AM »
Nice one! the only thing I miss is a complete picture of the Flashman's Column, what's on the top of the column?

Flashman!

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 03:10:44 AM »
Some overviews:

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 03:12:40 AM by Chairface »

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 04:06:43 AM »
Absolutely spiffing layout old chap! Well done indeed!
You've been hiding your light under a bushel obviously.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 03:08:43 AM »
Absolutely spiffing layout old chap! Well done indeed!
You've been hiding your light under a bushel obviously.

Coming from you that is high praise sir!