Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:13:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686495
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Post WWII & Modern Imagi-Nations  (Read 112816 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Post WWII & Modern Imagi-Nations
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2021, 04:45:23 AM »
Sounds like a good idea to me. Looking forward to seeing it put together.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Sgt_T

• Scientist
    • Toomuchterrain
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2021, 06:27:13 AM »
Looking forward to seeing it put together.

Look here:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131111.0

T.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2021, 07:45:40 AM »
thanks

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2022, 06:15:25 PM »
Just found this board since I an new to the 'era'...
As Julian Bonny will attest, my Imagi-Nation is set in the sahel region ca.1960-70. Styled loosely on the Mali featured in Clive Cussler's novel 'Sahara' with visuaLcues from the 2005 film of the same name. The Republique de Senemal is a conflation of Mali and Senegal which were joined briefly post independence in 1960. The original movement for Tuareg autonomy or 'Alfellaga' petered out through lack of firepower and foreign support. My what-if scenario is based on the premise that both overt and covert assistance from ambitious neighbours is helping the Tuareg insurgents to destabilise the corrupt and brutal regime of the Warlord General who has usurped control.
The Tuareg have access to some former French colonial military assets and an assortment of WWII and post war kit while the Government forces are heavily reliant on soviet equipment and armour. Figures are an eclectic mix of 15mm predominantly Peter Pig with contributions from Blue Moon, QRF and Irregular...
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2022, 01:53:58 AM »
Cool

Online dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2022, 11:35:27 AM »
I like this setting.  Tuaregs, French Foreign Legion, rebels, evil corporations, corruption and Confederate Gold.  What's not to like!

I have my own setting in East Africa which also uses a huge variety of equipment from preWW2 through to the 1980s - though using 20mm size figures here http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/Morvalonga/Morvalonga_Intro.htm

Though I have yet to find a suitable set of rules - I have tried writing my own set though since my opponent has moved away the figures have not had an outing in a long time and the rule writing has stalled. 
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2022, 02:13:58 PM »
I also like the look of the region... the architecture and savannah landscape. Adobe buildings... I agree what is not to like...
Plus I can have fun using my schoolboy French (with a little help from google translate) to do various signs.
Using an intervention by the FFL (presumably to protect French commercial assets in the region) is definitely an option...
I'm hoping to use AK47 Republic as the main rule set but I have assembled my forces with only a token nod to the rules. It is far more a journey of exploration of the troops and equipment...
Images of the modern day conflicts in the Sahel are an inspiration but the challenge is to only source kit from the 1940s to the mid 1970s. My Tuareg Alfellaga forces have access to Panhards, Latils as well some WWII soviet and Italian transport plus the ubiquitous Toyota technicals, even the odd VW camper van. They are mostly lighter and faster than the Govt. soviet offerings, a motley assortment of various BTRs, BMDs, jeeps, landrovers, lorries and the odd T34 and T55 MBTs.
The Tuareg themselves are harder to recreate but by mixing Peter Pig with headswaps, Blue Moon Berbers and a sprinkling of Irregular Afghans they look the part.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2022, 08:49:40 AM »
Joining the scenery for the region, a few scratchbuilt round houses made from a core of xps carved to shape, clad in a filler render and with modelled milliput thatching and cocktail stick timber detailing...
a feature of most encampments and villages was a stockproof brush hedge. In desert regions it also acted as a dust/sand break. These are made from plumber's sisal glued to thin card strips, glued into a slotted base with filler and trimmed brutally with scissors...
These would be suitable for a host of imagi-nations set in and around the sahel. These examples are inspired by the Malinke buildings of Mali in particular Kirina.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 08:52:35 AM by sukhe_bator »

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2022, 11:15:14 AM »
Very nice looking terrain and miniatures.  I hope you'll post more.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #84 on: December 25, 2022, 10:53:35 PM »
And to go with the village, a mosque in the Malinke style as an objective on a 7 x 7 inch footprint based on an actual example in Ivory Coast.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #85 on: December 26, 2022, 12:12:42 AM »
Pretty cool.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2023, 08:58:37 AM »
No where would be complete without a desert outpost. In this case my take on a Saharan 'bordj'... The flag signifies it is occupied by the Tuareg 'Alfellaga' movement.
The base is EPS with applied styrofoam rocks and landscaping, foamcore buildings on EPS cores and filler... all on an 8"x8" footprint. For AK47R

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2023, 07:34:26 PM »
The fact that my imagi-nation is a former French colony makes a big difference... not only to possible scenarios but also to scenic choices. In this case a Sahel style garage with 1930s equipment. OZO was a the predominant petrol supplier in French foreign areas before it was replaced by TOTAL in the 1960s...

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2023, 07:55:35 PM »
Pretty cool

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2023, 07:31:00 AM »
Scenery is everything for me... recreating the appropriate setting sets the tone of the game and 15mm allows for more scenic effects. Desert roads and villages...