Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:21:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690665
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dakota Smith and the Forbidden Temple <--AAR added 7/28  (Read 6303 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Dakota Smith and the Forbidden Temple <--AAR added 7/28
« on: July 26, 2014, 08:32:30 PM »

The words on the inscriptions rang clearly in the archeologists ears as they caught sight of the mountains in the distance. "Beyond the valley of the strange ones, lay the Stupa Mountains." Dear god, the very mountains did like Buddhist stupas! As they trudged closer over the next several days, the mountains revealed themselves in all their splendor. White banding was splashed across their bases, while their peaks remained dark. Rank after rank of bell-shaped mountains brought to mind a giant Budhhist temple complex in natural stone.

Just as they began to wonder how they'd find the Forbidden Temple amidst these rocky outcrops, they caught sight of the massive statue. The Europeans marveled at the skill it would take to carve it out of the rocky crag. A Buddhist deity held a massive stone sword above its head. A forbidding glare was carved into the stone face, and the statue seemed to glower at the archeologists as they neared it. As the distance narrowed, the statue seemed to rise higher and higher, as if it was unfolding from its crouch, where it had lain in wait for who knows how many centuries. They could see vegetation encrusted on the surface of the stone.

As they neared, the base of the statute became clearer. It was carved to resemble a temple, with decorative rooftops. More Buddhist deities glowered at the approaching Europeans from the demons or deities carved in parallel friezes around the rock temple. Nowhere could they see a door, as their path wound into the valley where the Forbidden Temple rose. The temple itself was set upon a hillock, which lay in a short, rocky valley. Piles of tumbled down rock lay all around the temple, doubtless having crashed down from the crags that encircled the valley. As they watched, they could hear the rumble of a boulder dislodging from the hillsides and bounding down into the valley with the booming of a massive drum. The archeologists looked at each other nervously as they surveyed the valley. They could pick out pathways amongst the rocks which wound up towards the Forbidden Temple. There was nothing to do but follow them, keeping a weather eye and ear out for the sound of falling rock.

"Dear me," one remarked, "I do hope there are no earthquakes during our visit....could get dodgy quickly!"

We will be running the penultimate chapter of Dakota Smith's first set of adventures in French Indochina tomorrow. Battle report to follow Monday (hopefully)!

Mike Demana
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 09:42:58 PM by mikedemana »

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Re: Dakota Smith and the Forbidden Temple
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 10:07:56 PM »
Great teaser!  ;D

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Dakota Smith in action again!  :D

HAVE FUN

Prof. Dinglebat. Phd.

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 07:00:27 AM »
Yep, as above..... :-*

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 08:54:25 AM »
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooow! That is one awesome temple :-*
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 09:12:42 AM »
Really looking forward to your game report, Mike. Looks like it's going to be a great one!

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 11:38:28 PM »

And the board is all set up, waiting for the first do the adventurers to arrive....

Mike Demana

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 12:57:46 AM »
Looks great! You got some lucky players. I know they must appreciate your awesome table!  ;)

HAVE FUN

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 04:29:28 AM »
The game went great! I'll write up the report tomorrow.

I've come to the conclusion -- stop my if any of you have had this epiphany before -- but gaming is fun. Yep. Flat out. Good times.  lol

Mike Demana

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 09:55:57 AM »
That board looks spectacular, Mike.  :o

Have you added a ruby or something to the statue?

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 04:44:11 PM »
That board looks spectacular, Mike.  :o
Have you added a ruby or something to the statue?

Thanks! Oh, and yes...the ruby...one of the plot points. A craft store gem affixed to the forehead of the statue for this game with some blue tack.

Mike Demana

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 06:01:20 PM »
Thanks! Oh, and yes...the ruby...one of the plot points. A craft store gem affixed to the forehead of the statue for this game with some blue tack.

Cool idea! Does that mean you made those poor guys climb to the top of that statue?  :o

lol lol

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 06:55:08 PM »

Mike Demana

Smart move making it removable!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 09:39:46 PM »
Okay, so here it is: my own take on the comic book style AAR. It takes a LOT more time, as I suspected. So, my hats off to Dave and all the others doing it this way. I am not sure if I'll do it all the time. Once school is back in session, I probably can't devote half a day to creating it...haha! Anyway, it is comic book 5 pages long -- hopefully you can read the captions and word bubbles.

The game was blast! The pathways and the hillock were NOT perilous areas. The rocky area in the valley was, as was attempting to climb up or down the temple face or statue. The "extras" started to fall early, as everyone took the opportunity to play Fortune Cards early. The Irish team was down to just its leader by the end of turn 2. The French lost their Ally, too, as the rocks and boulders tumbled down the cliffsides. The Order of the Fire Coral bided their time, and did not launch their attacks until turn 4, which may or may not have been an effective strategy.

Dakota Smith was the big winner. He raced to the temple walls and climbed up immediately. Both Tat-ko and Lady Shannon of the Irish tried to interfere, but Harold Fortwine guarded their backsides as they scrambled up the friezes. The Americans actually ended up with 3 plot points, but lost one on the last turn when Dolly succumbed to a fortune card (the Ganesha idol she was carrying falling down a crevice that opened as the temple begin to shake. One of the players played "Parley" on the final, 7th turn, which I interpreted as a major earthquake shaking the valley and making everyone scramble for their lives. The fact that it occurred right after Pierre pried the giant ruby off the statue's forehead made it only that much more fitting of a finale.

We had a great time playing the scenario, and everyone is looking forward to the wrap-up: "Dakota Smith and the Deadly Streets of Hoi An"...!

Mike Demana

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
Re: Dakota Smith and the Forbidden Temple <--AAR added 7/28
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 10:05:29 PM »
Wow! What a fun Pulp Alley AAR. It is so much fun seeing Dakota Smith in action and this one was a thriller!  :-* :-*

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline wolfen

• Scientist
Re: Dakota Smith and the Forbidden Temple <--AAR added 7/28
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 10:18:18 PM »
Kung Fu Fighting made me laugh. Very enjoyable read!