Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:56:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 461
Total: 468

Recent

Author Topic: My North West Frontier table - pic heavy!  (Read 15836 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: My North West Frontier table - pic heavy!
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2008, 02:48:58 PM »
Thanks all.
I did paint the backdrop some years ago, to go with this 'red earth' basing scheme... It does me for NWF, pirates and Future Wars...
Pat - actually, most of these figures were painted several years ago, so they are based using the 'old method' - very laboriously applied and textured Milliput, with bits of aquarium gravel pushed into it.
I bless the day I switched to the paint / grit / sand / PVA gloop - takes approximately one tenth of the time, if that.
The red earth came about because of some pics I saw in National Geographic or somewhere... I just wanted something that wasn't normal temperate earth and grass, but wasn't boring sand either.
It's just a mix of cheap hobby acrylic (the big 99p bottles - half in half 'caramel' and 'chestnut'. It's not even drybrushed - just flat colour, with the rocks and grass picked out...

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2008, 03:21:39 PM »
Ahhh, it always pays to stay a couple of days away from the LAF: what a nice surprise  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2008, 09:34:18 PM »
Wow you painted that backdrop too!  Incredible!  I think it really adds to your table!  Great scenery and wonderful miniatures!  Thanks for posting the photographs Captain! :D

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2008, 08:48:10 AM »
Superb!

It's not just the fact that the combination of figures, table and backdrop fit together so well, but the attention to detail that make these pics so wonderful - eg the henna-dyed red beards so characteristic of the NWF tribes. You've even made the Essex Brits look good enough to mix with the later, better sculpts. I love the "full dress" of the Skinners Horse, BTW. So much more interesting than the usual khaki.

These pics are a lovely surprise present after the two weeks away from LAF due to holidays and the inevitable subsequent long hours back at work  :D

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2008, 09:34:04 AM »
How did I miss this, stunning CB "Go to your Gawd like a soldier"

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2008, 12:58:51 PM »
Very nice figures! I like the matte finish on the minis, some of the colours are almost like pastels.  I'm impressed by the way you handled the colouring of the 'Yellow Boys'.  Never could get a handle on painting yellow, myself.  That's why I always leaned towards Cureton's Multanis.  Blue, I can do!  :D

« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 02:55:29 PM by archangel1 »
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2008, 01:55:25 PM »
Yellows were a bugbear of mine also for a long time. I went to more pastel yellows using Vallejo's German camo orange ochre, yellow ochre, and yellow sand (I think) and it made a world of difference! Yellow ink over it all makes it less pastel.

Offline Super_Gibbon

• Scientist
    • Steel City Supers
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2008, 04:08:59 PM »
Just to add another voice to the chorus, those shots are freaking awesome! Incredible job.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2008, 04:45:11 PM »
Thank you boys, for your very generous words.

I am now almost tempted to show you my full pirate table... ;)

Offline redle58

• Student
    • VSF and 15 mm Science Fiction Gaming
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2008, 03:44:12 AM »
Very inspiring work! I'm doing something similar (nowhere near as good mind) only in 15mm. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2008, 09:55:37 AM »
Tease!!  ;)
Thank you boys, for your very generous words.

I am now almost tempted to show you my full pirate table... ;)

Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2008, 10:04:06 AM »
Blood, since I am in the process of planning my own later 2oth century NWF table I wonder if you could list the miniatures you use for Pathans. I recognize some Foundry Indians and DA Baluchis. Are there others?

Also I found this article on Pathans armaments which I think is enlightening in many ways:
http://www.king-emperor.com/article5-armstrade.htm

Never mind that, going reading your original post I see that you have a pretty conclusive list there.

According to the aformentioned article jezails seems to have been in very frequent use well into the 20th century
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 10:10:32 AM by hammershield »

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2008, 10:47:54 AM »
Blood, since I am in the process of planning my own later 2oth century NWF table I wonder if you could list the miniatures you use for Pathans. I recognize some Foundry Indians and DA Baluchis. Are there others?

Also I found this article on Pathans armaments which I think is enlightening in many ways:
http://www.king-emperor.com/article5-armstrade.htm

Never mind that, going reading your original post I see that you have a pretty conclusive list there.

According to the aformentioned article jezails seems to have been in very frequent use well into the 20th century

The Pathans were always impressed by the " big gun" and jezails were formidable guns for sniping but only too 300 yards or so on.
at the turn of the 20th century the most common rifles were the Martini-Henry , because many stolen from the Indian's army  and repro done by artisans;
 and later the Lee-Enfield, as the weapon artisans,expecially in Darra, make good reproduction.
still do repro of the AK in this time.
many weapons comes from the Persia border, and so rifles of many types were introduced on the Frontier, German, French.
good book is "Gun running on the NWF" by the ubiquous Younghusband , if I remeber well.
Piero
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 10:49:47 AM by Shikari Sahib »

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2008, 03:15:15 PM »
That's it, I'm leaving this forum unless you guys start posting some badly done models that make me feel less insignificant again...  >:(
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline garyapsledene

• Bookworm
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2008, 02:28:29 PM »
Not just the way the pictures presented which is the sort you expect to find in a glossy Wargame mag, but the close ups are fantastic.

Is there anyone here who thinks this should be set in one of the Mags with a write up?

I knew it was a good idea to join this forum last weekend.
I've been told that I am an all round nice guy, well, that what he said before I shot him