Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:11:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Sci-Fi Tenement Hi-Rise  (Read 6507 times)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
28mm Sci-Fi Tenement Hi-Rise
« on: July 31, 2014, 05:16:24 PM »
Just finished this one up last week.  It's my tallest piece of terrain yet, a Hi-Rise Tenement building.

Built from a combination of parts of Pokemon and Toy Story playsets that I found at reasale shops and alot of other bits.

It's part of my ongoing project to build a city layout that is industrial, and very worn. The idea is that it is run-down, grimy and even abandoned in places, but not one of the Bombed-out cityscapes that appear in so much wargaming these days.  I'd like it to function equally well in near or far-future gaming. I've got a number of medium sized buildings, but the focus from here out is going to be mostly large buildings that are useable in skirmish games, but big enough to provide lots of cover for the 28mm Mech games that I've been running yearly at the Little Wars Convention.

You can visit our club's blog for lots of other clickable pictures (open in "new tab" to bypass the Blogger slideshow and see them in their larger sizes) as well as pre-paint in-progress pictures and how-to instructions. http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2014/07/tenement-high-rise-from-toy-playsets.html

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
Re: 28mm Sci-Fi Tenement Hi-Rise
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 06:12:47 PM »
The Hi-Rise looks fantastic.
Great tutorial on your blog as well
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 06:22:13 PM »
Indeed. Fantastic piece of scenery.  8)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 07:14:30 PM »
Reminds me a bit of the TMNT buildings sitting in my garage waiting for me to thinking of something to do with them...  lol

You've definitely 'done something' impressive!

Doug

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 07:29:32 PM »
Reminds me a bit of the TMNT buildings sitting in my garage waiting for me to thinking of something to do with them...  lol

You've definitely 'done something' impressive!

Doug
Thanks Doug,
        I'm curious what buildings they are.  I'm always on the lookout for toys that I can kitbash.  Nearly all my sci-fi and near-future terrain now starts as toys.  They've tend to have so much texture and greebling detail already built in that it's usually just a matter of finding ways to fit the parts together. It also helps that when bought resale, the materials cost is nearly nil.

The Hi-Risde looks fantastic.
Great tutorial on your blog as well

Glad you liked it. I'm trying to get back to adding more in-progress and how-to information on my blog posts. In the past year, I've been drifting away from that, but I hope to get back on track now. It's good to know if/when folks find the information helpful.

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 11:57:12 PM »
Very nice!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 12:49:51 AM »
Thanks Doug,
        I'm curious what buildings they are.  I'm always on the lookout for toys that I can kitbash.  Nearly all my sci-fi and near-future terrain now starts as toys.  They've tend to have so much texture and greebling detail already built in that it's usually just a matter of finding ways to fit the parts together. It also helps that when bought resale, the materials cost is nearly nil.

Sorry, Ghostbusters Fire House, though, I could have sworn it had been repackaged at some point as TMNT, as well.

Open on two sides, I thought I might use all four I have to make a large open space in the center, though not much room for sticking your hands in to move things. Another thought: four with the walls pointed inwards, open space pointing outwards, but divided.

Your Madcat reminded me: I'd even thought of two, side by side, open space inwards, for a Mech or 40K Titan repair shed.

Would have had to removed the grey 'pillar', I think it was water/sewage/whatever piping, but even wanted to make some kind of space ship out of it as well.

Dream big, accomplish nothing...

Doug

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 04:51:42 AM »
Sorry, Ghostbusters Fire House, though, I could have sworn it had been repackaged at some point as TMNT, as well.

That is sweet! Tons of possibilities for that. Still, it'd feel a shame to kitbash a collectors piece likt that. Something in good condition likely has quite a bit of $ value to the collector's market. I'd probably sell it and treat myself to a nice a nice bit of resin terrain or a fancy 0-scale kit that I otherwise wouldn't consider.

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 05:55:08 AM »
Looks really good!  I think you got the industrial look down nicely. 

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 06:13:13 AM »
Lovely!
 :-* :-*

I really like the mix of tones on that building.
 8) 8)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 12:52:08 PM »
Lovely!
 :-* :-*

I really like the mix of tones on that building.
 8) 8)
Thanks!
I've been painting alot of my terrain in brighter and bolder, often contrasting, colors recently, as in my 2 recent industrial pieces posted earlier. http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=67837.msg821416#msg821416
I think they pop better, and since they all get the same heavy brown washes and tan drybrush, they usually blend well on the finished model.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 01:24:03 PM »
That is sweet! Tons of possibilities for that. Still, it'd feel a shame to kitbash a collectors piece likt that. Something in good condition likely has quite a bit of $ value to the collector's market. I'd probably sell it and treat myself to a nice a nice bit of resin terrain or a fancy 0-scale kit that I otherwise wouldn't consider.

No fear, that's a pic filched from Google; mine were thrift store purchases with most 'stuff' stripped. I think even so, they had some value once, but I think that's slipped.

Sort of like my collection of ancient Dragon magazines...  lol

Doug

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 07:27:55 PM »
No fear, that's a pic filched from Google; mine were thrift store purchases with most 'stuff' stripped. I think even so, they had some value once, but I think that's slipped.

Sort of like my collection of ancient Dragon magazines...  lol

Doug

Well heck, time to get building!  Or if you want to mail it to Chicago…..
 ;)

The Dragon magazines still make great packing material.  ;D  I've got a bunch of 90's era WD that are roughly the same boat Nice to read, but really having virtually no value, though a box of them is great for placing at the bottom of high bookshelves to stabilize them.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 04:20:26 PM »
That's worked really well.  8) Toy hacks are a lot of fun too.

Offline Maj Guiscard

• Librarian
    • The Governor General of Sector Six
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 07:57:03 PM »
That's a great build.  I have always found it difficult to imagine materials of different sources working. It is amazing how a few adjustments and a good unifying paint job brings them all together.

Maj Guiscard