Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:00:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686495
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Kickstarter] Dungeon Saga: The Dwarf King's Quest  (Read 4229 times)

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
[Kickstarter] Dungeon Saga: The Dwarf King's Quest
« on: August 01, 2014, 05:33:38 PM »
This is a new dungeon crawler from Mantic games. It's a lot more like Warhammer Quest than the old Dwarf King's Hold games.

It's set to start on August 4th, 2014.

I was looking forward to it, but I've since learned that it won't support a co-op mode. Apparently Jake thinks co-ops are boring! I wonder if he has any friends he actually likes?!? (Sorry Jake, I am totally trying to goad you into taking another look at co-ops and hopefully realizing how bloody awesome the are!)

As a consequence of the lack of co-op mode though, I likely won't buy into it.

Here's a link to the companion site: Dwarf King's Quest

Here are some pics of the painted adventurers and villains. Those are some of the nicest skeletons that I've seen in some time!:

Thanks
n

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: [Kickstarter] Dungeon Saga: The Dwarf King's Quest
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 05:44:46 PM »
I also heard about it recently and I was also put off by the lack of a coop mode.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 05:52:34 PM »
No co-op? Hmmm  :?

Heroquest was adversal, but Warhammer Quest was loved for its co-op capabilities. There is nothing like Warhammer Quest out there (that I've seen) so this seems like a missed opportunity. Not sure I'm a big fan of those hero figures either; the Dwarf looks... too square! There's squares all over him!

The undead look great though - Mantic have nailed undead and do a great range for them. In fact I would go as far as to say that their fantasy undead line pretty much shows the rest of their fantasy ranges up as being a bit... meh.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:08:56 PM by Gibby »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 05:59:36 PM »
Gibby, I'll be doing a Warhammer Quest inspired dungeon crawl - but it's been a looong time coming, and won't be anything worthwhile for another year or more.  Have hope!  lol

Personally any rules can be arranged/modified.  Doesn't take too much tinkering.  I say if you like the idea, back it and make your own rules.  Shouldn't be too hard.

PS: I completely agree about Mantic's Undead - from everything I've seen they're the only things I tend to like.  I hope they have some new sculptors for this game.  Their dwarfs are unfortunately horrible.  :?
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 06:28:20 PM »
There has been ongoing discussion on this for a while (including comments from Jake):
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=67423.0

It is not fair to say there is no co-op mode as the game can be played with the adventurers working together as a party, they do not need to be in competition. It is just not an all players vs the board game (thankfully),  the design is such that one player will play the "baddies". Making it not co-op is the best decision they could have made.

The "all vs the board" style games are always let down by poor random AI/events and having a player for the enemy is always preferable. The difference is that here Mantic are making possible for the "baddies" to win the game. The person playing them is not running the game for the players (as in a D&D GM) he is a player as well, just not an adventurer.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 09:58:32 PM »
It is not fair to say there is no co-op mode as the game can be played with the adventurers working together as a party, they do not need to be in competition. It is just not an all players vs the board game (thankfully),  the design is such that one player will play the "baddies". Making it not co-op is the best decision they could have made.

I respectfully, completely, 100% disagree with this sentiment.

I understand that some like to have a person control the 'enemies' and a group of people control the 'characters' in these games like Warhammer Quest/Heroquest/Decent etc, and that's fine. That's totally cool.

But I love games where I get to play towards the same goal with ALL of my friends. There's no reason they couldn't EASILY support both styles. And their lack of support for co-op will likely keep me from getting involved.

Thus, it would have been in the best interest of Mantic making a successful game to support both co-op and one-vs-all; the best decision they could have made would have been to support both.

Thanks
n.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 10:01:38 PM »
Personally any rules can be arranged/modified.  Doesn't take too much tinkering.  I say if you like the idea, back it and make your own rules.  Shouldn't be too hard.

Don't we all have more miniatures than we know what to do with? Isn't it the rules and community support for the game that get us into it? It's tough to justify buying into a game that you don't like the rules for and that you don't need the miniatures for...

Thanks
n

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 10:08:37 PM »
More zombies!

Thanks
n

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 10:11:17 PM »
I actually love the Mantic dwarves..

Thanks
n
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 10:13:54 PM by Neldoreth »

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 10:19:56 PM »
The elf hero!

Looks like Mantic's web guy didn't take enough care in cropping this figure... They lost a huge chunk of the leg!!!

Thanks
n

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 10:22:02 PM »
This wizard kinda looks like a cross between a Napoleonic era guy and a cowboy. It's definitely unique!

Thanks
n

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 10:23:06 PM »
Neldoreth, do you think it's worth merging our two threads?
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 10:32:44 PM »
Neldoreth, do you think it's worth merging our two threads?

Honestly, I just realized that there was a related post until I saw robh's post. The title didn't grab me, although now I realize it probably should have...

My intention was for this thread to track the kickstarter, and I had planned to keep the first post in the thread updated with links and statuses of progress for easy access. I am fine with bringing them together, but I think they could live separately as well. What's your plan?

Thanks
n

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 10:52:22 PM »
Not a fan of that wizard at all; I think he is the weakest of the hero models. He looks like he's raising his hand to answer the teacher's question or to be picked first for 6-a-side football, rather than to cast a spell.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 10:54:30 PM »
Honestly, I just realized that there was a related post until I saw robh's post. The title didn't grab me, although now I realize it probably should have...

My intention was for this thread to track the kickstarter, and I had planned to keep the first post in the thread updated with links and statuses of progress for easy access. I am fine with bringing them together, but I think they could live separately as well. What's your plan?

Thanks
n

Mine was intended for updates, discussion and general talk, meant to be all encompassing. i think the two can coexist , it just might be good to have all the info in one place.