Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:12:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: KS: Band of Gnomes (SOBH)  (Read 2297 times)

Offline doctor_ocks

• Librarian
    • My Lego Wargame Blog
KS: Band of Gnomes (SOBH)
« on: July 25, 2014, 10:07:31 PM »
Didn't see it posted anywhere here but if I'm wrong, please delete. Andrea (creator of Song of Blades and Heroes) created a new game for ADW Games. Looks like there would be some useful stuff for standard SOBH games.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dinaandrewswalker/band-of-gnomes-28mm-miniature-skirmish-game-and-te

Offline doctor_ocks

• Librarian
    • My Lego Wargame Blog
Re: KS: Band of Gnomes (SOBH)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 10:10:19 PM »
Here's the email that he sent out to the SOBH group, which frankly provides more info than the ADW video does.

"This is a stand-alone skirmish game based on an "advanced" version of Song of Blades with reactions (similar to A Fistful of Kung Fu or OGAM) and a detailed spell system. It comes with its own miniatures (two different Gnome cultures) and terrain, so check it out even if not interested in the rules.

The spell system is OFFICIAL and will be reflected in future expansions of the Song of Blades line.

There is a playtesters' pledge which lets you have an unedited work-in-progress doc of the rules, send in your comments and tests, and receive the full edited and illustrated PDF when it is ready.

Band of Gnomes is written by me (andrea sfiligoi of Ganesha games) and published by ADWGames. The book will be roughly 90 pages, full color, in 6x9' format."

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
Re: KS: Band of Gnomes bites the dust.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 11:42:33 PM »
I've been watching this as my club has been doing a bit of playtesting of`1 the Band of Gnomes rules for Andrea of Ganesha Games. 

Just got word on the Ganesha Games Yahoo group that they are no longer involved with Band of Gnomes. No details were provided regarding the situation, but there appears to be hope regarding seeing the rules in a different form.

From Andrea:

I am no longer part of the Band of Gnomes project by ADWgames.

The company will soon issue a statement (and I guess the people who pledged for my rules only may alter their pledges).

Any new special rules that I wrote for this project will likely resurface, in a form or another, in future Ganesha Games supplements.

I also want to stress out that I am NOT the person replying to backers on the KS page -- the only thing I did for the KS pages are the figure sketches. I am not a pledger so I cannot reply to the comments there.

Andrea

As it says, no details about what went down, but amidst the mess of comments the company rep does suggest that they may be moving to a Pathfinder-based system and relaunching a new KS.   Despite the adorable gnome-on-a-bunny figure, the rules change just dropped my interest in this one to zero. 

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 10:46:38 AM »
Interesting in a sad sense.   :-X

Rules had no interest to me.  I have rules and rules and rules...   ::)

I am waiting more pictures of sculpts and a figures only pledge (the wife does gnomes) before I make a final thumbs up/thumbs down.   :-I  One sculpt does not a army make... no matter how good it looks.   ;)

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 11:50:30 AM »
I am backing this one for the scenery (zero interest in any SOBH or associated rules) which looks as if it will be part of the revised KS when it launches. I think the walls are great for D&D type skirmish games so will stick with it and hope for the best.

Have to say this KS, like the Doggerland and IceAge ones before it, is very disorganised and badly thought out. The team behind it seem to be a group of talented individuals structured as some form of committee without any one clear vision or message. I don't doubt the desire or commitment to get the thing done, but they are really making it difficult for themselves.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 05:13:30 PM by robh »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 04:41:11 PM »
Robh,
     That was my thought too regarding organization. Neat ideas, but I'm not sure there's a coherent vision as how to get them done. To start a KS when you haven't really settled on rules is very 'cart-before-horse'd.

Glenn,
      Oddly, it was the rules as much as the figures that had interest to me.  I've got tons of figs waiting for paint, but our club is a big user of the SBH rules and the BandOfGnomes was going to add some interesting mechanics to the game. 

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 11:09:22 PM »
....and as discussed earlier it is cancelled.

Revised project will be for scenery/terrain pieces only. Hopefully a bit more professionally done and with some actual product to show to encourage the "not till I see the finished models" backers.

Offline doctor_ocks

• Librarian
    • My Lego Wargame Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 03:46:28 AM »
I was originally really unimpressed with ADW's organization. However, I spoke with the production manager on the phone, after some unfortunate comments were exchanged between myself and one of their representative on the KS, and I can attest to their commitment to customer service. They have bent over backwards to make amends to me. I think in this case, they maybe moved into this project a little to soon trying to ride the wave of success from their last KS. They seem like genuinely good folks trying to make good products. I think they're a young company and will get their legs under themselves soon enough-but will get some bumps and bruises along the way.

I do not know the story of why Andrea and ADW are party ways, but I'm looking forward to seeing the rules come out in another format. I just love everything Andrea does.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 02:56:59 PM »
....and as discussed earlier it is cancelled.

Revised project will be for scenery/terrain pieces only. Hopefully a bit more professionally done and with some actual product to show to encourage the "not till I see the finished models" backers.

In terms of interest for my money it was Terrain 60%, Miniatures (for wife) 40%, and rules the remainder (for the math challenged - 0%,) and yes, I do want o see the miniatures in real life, please.  Not all of them but enough to think the figures will fit in with my armies/RP games figures.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 02:59:35 PM »
I was originally really unimpressed with ADW's organization. However, I spoke with the production manager on the phone, after some unfortunate comments were exchanged between myself and one of their representative on the KS, and I can attest to their commitment to customer service. They have bent over backwards to make amends to me. I think in this case, they maybe moved into this project a little to soon trying to ride the wave of success from their last KS. They seem like genuinely good folks trying to make good products. I think they're a young company and will get their legs under themselves soon enough-but will get some bumps and bruises along the way.

I do not know the story of why Andrea and ADW are party ways, but I'm looking forward to seeing the rules come out in another format. I just love everything Andrea does.

Ah, it did seem a bit "multiple personalities" weird on the KS but then you don't know who is really "speaking" on the internet sometimes.

As long as they learn from their bumps and bruises -some people never do.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline doctor_ocks

• Librarian
    • My Lego Wargame Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 06:22:10 PM »
Ah, it did seem a bit "multiple personalities" weird on the KS but then you don't know who is really "speaking" on the internet sometimes.

As long as they learn from their bumps and bruises -some people never do.

Gracias,

Glenn

Yeah I was left with the impression they were taking immediate action to remedy the issues they were having.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 07:14:19 PM »
I will certainly back the terrain KS when it starts up, I have been after 3D spell effect models for D&D skirmish games for ages.