Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:32:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690911
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Need some help with the cathars of the Albigensian Crusades  (Read 4898 times)

Offline georgec

• Librarian
Re: Need some help with the cathars of the Albigensian Crusades
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 10:14:25 PM »
The coats of arms certainly backs up the arguement that the Occitan forces had a lot of local nobility in them from both sides of the pyrenees who would most likely lead 'conventional' feudal forces

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 08:42:17 AM »
Another good site for the heraldry is Early Blazon:

http://www.earlyblazon.com/

Though, unless I'm much mistaken, the previous link (cathar.info) uses a lot of the same images...
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 09:47:45 AM »
They certainly seem to be the same, although slightly smaller. The map function on the site however, is brilliant!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 11:12:38 AM »
The only forces the Cathars had were those of friendly Barons in the 'Occitan' speaking areas of Languedoc, mainly the forces of the Counts of Toulouse and Barcelona.

Accordingly what 'army' they could field was similar to their Feudal opponents. You could possibly add Cathar levy troops but I can't see them being of any more military value than other poor quality militia.

It's a fascinating period, but possibly more game-able as a skirmish game than a battle games. The forthcoming Osprey Lion Rampant rules might be useful for this project.

That pretty much sums up what I know too in regards to your question  :).

There's a back issue of Medieval Warfare that deals with the Albigensian Crusade that may be worth buying along with some of these book, none of which I've read so I can't make any recommendations unfortunately:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Albigensian+Crusade

Maybe someone on the forum has read some of the above?

Hope that proves to be of some help?

Darrell.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 11:38:19 AM »
Interesting Project, hopefully you go for the Albigensian crusade.

A nice overview, if you need one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Perfect-Heresy-Death-Cathars/dp/1861973500/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1407234947&sr=8-3&keywords=albigensian+crusade

I have it myself and it's a good start, I think.

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 03:12:14 PM »
Oh, you mean this: http://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/shop/mw-issue-iii-4-2013.html

I guess it will have to do, since osprey don't seem to have anything related in the pipeline. The Fortress-Series issue with the cathar castles is great though, and I cannot recommend it enough to anyone with an interest in the conflict.

I will need to have a look at the Perfect Heresy book. I already have a passing knowledge and understanding of the cathar religious practice, having done my thesis on the Hussite Heresy and need to know a bit more of the predecessors, but anything that could frame the heresy in it's own context would be good.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 03:26:12 PM »
Oh, you mean this: http://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/shop/mw-issue-iii-4-2013.html[/qoute]

Yep, that's the one.

I guess it will have to do, since osprey don't seem to have anything related in the pipeline. The Fortress-Series issue with the cathar castles is great though, and I cannot recommend it enough to anyone with an interest in the conflict.

I will need to have a look at the Perfect Heresy book. I already have a passing knowledge and understanding of the cathar religious practice, having done my thesis on the Hussite Heresy and need to know a bit more of the predecessors, but anything that could frame the heresy in it's own context would be good.

Personally, because one usually ends up with a range of sources and opinions from various different authors, I'd take the time to read as much as possible on the subject.

Darrell.

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2014, 09:23:36 PM »
There is supposed to be a book coming out (soon?) by the historian Sean Mcglynn on the Albigensian Crusade.

It was supposed to be out last year, according to another book I have by him, but I can find no reference to it when I google... I believe it is to be published by the History Press.

A word of caution though, I have found his book on the forgotten invasion of England, 'Blood cries Afar' very heavy going... very thorough though... ;)