Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:22:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Victorian Zombie Apocalypse  (Read 49219 times)

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
Victorian Zombie Apocalypse
« on: August 10, 2014, 02:10:25 AM »
It’s absolutely batty I know but I’ve collected all these Westwind EOTD figures and needed to do something with them.  Ok that’s not the real reason let’s face it’s something that just has to happen. Two things that on their own might not seem like much but when my mind put them together it spit out Victorian Zombie Apocalypse those two things where Westwind’s Victorian Zombie boxed set and the painting of an old figure conversion I made back in 2009 for vampire gaming see photos below.

So Victorian Zombies it is. Now I full realize that I'll have to do a lot of converting to get a zombie horde with a Victorian feel; just last night I was sculpting a bustle onto the Studio Miniatures zombie Bride but I've got a bee in my bonnet I want a Victorian Zombie horde. Here is a picture of the figures i have so far in various stages from finished to needs a lot of work.

As you can see its a miserable handful at the moment I'm hopping the esteemed members of this forum can point out some zombies figures that I can convert into Victorians. Here are a few images of late Victorian dress to go by.

You can learn more about this project on my blog http://fiendsinwaistcoats.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:42:59 PM by kidterminal »

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Victorian Zombie Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 03:03:45 AM »
Looking good Robert.  If a person can't have fun with zombies that person just isn't trying hard enough.  Zombies and Victorians… the stuff that dreams are made of.  Richard

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 08:36:43 AM »
Great idea,will be interested in how this proceeds.like your bases by the way.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 09:15:05 AM »
I know I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs,but if you just use Victorian miniatures and give them a different skin tone wouldn't they qualify for recently turned zombies,help boost your horde out quicker?

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 01:40:31 PM »
Looking good Robert.  If a person can't have fun with zombies that person just isn't trying hard enough.  Zombies and Victorians… the stuff that dreams are made of.  Richard
I knew you would love this Richard!
Great idea,will be interested in how this proceeds.like your bases by the way.
Thanks the bases are hand made here is how I make them http://fiendsinwaistcoats.blogspot.com/2013/04/making-bases.html. and if you need a stamp check this out http://fiendsinwaistcoats.blogspot.com/2014/04/happy-seppuku-base-stamps.html.
I know I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs,but if you just use Victorian miniatures and give them a different skin tone wouldn't they qualify for recently turned zombies,help boost your horde out quicker?
I value your comment and yes it would be quicker and Papa Midnight showed how nice they can look, but I'm a stickler for detail I want "shamblers" they need to lean drunkenly, stumble mindlessly... I will be purchasing some Eureka civies to cut up and reposition for that shambler walk. So no quick out for me I'm afraid.

I would like to find out from you lads who have Wargames Factory Zulu Wars British Infantry, Warlord plastic Zulu Wars British Infantry, Perry Bros plastic Confederate Infantry, Mantic Zombies, Mantic Ghouls, Wargames Factory Zombies how do these kits scale up with each other? Could I for instance swap Mantic Ghoul and Zombie heads with Warlord or Perry Bros bodies? Any scale photos or information would be a big help.

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 05:47:57 PM »
I can probably take some pics of my mantic zombies alongside some empire of the dead figures if you like? I don't have any perry or warlord figures mind

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 05:51:50 PM »
This sounds like a fun project!  Great start thus far.   :)
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 06:31:24 PM »
I can probably take some pics of my mantic zombies alongside some empire of the dead figures if you like? I don't have any perry or warlord figures mind.
Thanks Simon but I have a Mantic figure I don't have any Perry Bros, Wargames Factory or Warlord to compare it with.

Offline Mingans Marauders

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 09:14:46 AM »
I would like to find out from you lads who have Wargames Factory Zulu Wars British Infantry, Warlord plastic Zulu Wars British Infantry, Perry Bros plastic Confederate Infantry, Mantic Zombies, Mantic Ghouls, Wargames Factory Zombies how do these kits scale up with each other? Could I for instance swap Mantic Ghoul and Zombie heads with Warlord or Perry Bros bodies? Any scale photos or information would be a big help.

The simple answer? Maybe. The Perry plastics and metals match up really well with the Warlord Zulu War British, I don't have the Confederate sets but for using the parts on one another you might get away with it easily. The Wargames British are very "blob" like in most of their sculpt, but you could use the heads on the Warlord bodies with some modding. The Mantic Zombies and Ghouls seem to be slightly larger then the previous mentioned sets, which for one or two figures wouldn't be bad. The nice thing about them is the clothing is basically rags, so one can use them for most any era and could easily sculpt on parts that help define the period. With alot more modding you could get one of their heads onto a Warlord British body, but the head might look to large. I'll play around with it a bit tommorrow. The Wargames Male Zombies do have useable parts, but most are few and far between. If you can get the heads and arms somewere (some eBay store or on the swap meet here) you could use a few of the heads and most of the arms. These do work pretty well on the Wargames British bodies, but I haven't tested them on the Warlord bodies. One of the best upsides to the Wargames British is the pith helmet is a seprate piece, so you can easily glue them onto the zombie heads. If you can get the Studio Miniatures plastic zombies (the Germans or Moderns, the Moderns will yield the most usable parts) those will work like a charm on the Warlord bodies.

If you'd like I can get a picture of my Wargames British, Warlord British, Mantic Zombies, Ghouls, Wargames Zombie, Studio Miniature zombie and a Perry Union officer.

Looking at it and thinking about it, you could get the Zombicide "Walk of the Dead #1" and with sculpting make the dresses a bit longer, maybe mod the suits some on the males and give a few tophats, bowlers, etc.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 09:23:08 AM by Mingans Marauders »

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 11:45:59 AM »

If you'd like I can get a picture of my Wargames British, Warlord British, Mantic Zombies, Ghouls, Wargames Zombie, Studio Miniature zombie and a Perry Union officer.
That would be great thanks.

Offline Paleskin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 11:34:00 PM »
Great start,looking forward to seeing this one develop!

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 03:14:00 AM »
Great start,looking forward to seeing this one develop!
Thanks. i just ordered a box of Warlord Anglo-Zulu Wars British Infantry these plastic figures will give me the basis for some Victorian zombie soldiers.

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 09:04:59 PM »

This is the bride from the Studio Miniatures "Till Death Us Do Part" set she is getting her dress Victorianized (Yup made a new word.) the bustle is beginning to shape up, I need to do something with the veil though maybe give her one of those tiny hats? Well what do you think of the progress?

I've orderd this for more zombie conversion fodder. More on my blog http://fiendsinwaistcoats.blogspot.com/

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 02:20:25 PM »
Nice work on the dress conversion could you not just leave her as a bride? or if you had to modify perhaps add a small hat with some feathers on it.

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 02:35:02 PM »
Nice work on the dress conversion could you not just leave her as a bride? or if you had to modify perhaps add a small hat with some feathers on it.
When I first bought the pack I thought yes, the vicar is fine and the groom is fine, but Victorian Sunday best dresses save for the really poor all had bustles and some sort of sleeve. Once I started researching the dress examples I just couldn't leave it alone. I am thinking a tiny hat feathers are good.