Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:07:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 898
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Blog page?  (Read 1841 times)

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
Blog page?
« on: August 12, 2014, 06:17:40 PM »
I see that many pulp gamers (and wargamers in general) have a blog. How work these pages? Do you suggest one type of blog? Are easy to use? I'm considering one to host my battle reports and pictures. Thanks.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Re: Blog page?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 04:19:45 AM »
I see that many pulp gamers (and wargamers in general) have a blog. How work these pages? Do you suggest one type of blog? Are easy to use? I'm considering one to host my battle reports and pictures. Thanks.

Blogs take time. If you like posting your stuff, then go for it. I had one for about a year and a half, had around 55000 hits, and just decided to shut it down. I find I paint much more now, and worry less about getting blog posts in, and driving hits, and promoting the blog - the blog became the hobby!

Try it and see. I built mine in Wordpress, it was very easy.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 05:00:52 AM »
Blogs take time..... I find I paint much more now, and worry less about getting blog posts in, and driving hits, and promoting the blog - the blog became the hobby!
Amen Grant...

There is much more community involvement, input and interaction on a forum like this one. Time spent on a blog is also time away from the inspiration this awesome community provides.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 06:38:33 AM »
I'd rather have stuff posted HERE than on a blog. Posts which make me click on a link to see a report on a blog always make me sad. Just post it here in all it's glory!
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 05:58:38 PM »
I'm in agreement with all the above. I had a blog but it took too much time and I'd rather post my stuff on this forum now.

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 06:02:31 PM »
I understand, so after all is better to avoids a blog  ;)

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 07:27:32 PM »
There are plenty of members here who blog regularly and get stuff done.
Blogs can help keep you focussed and are a way of sharing your work with others who in turn can give useful and valuable feedback.
A simple blog is easy to set up but not so easy to maintain unless you have a decent hobby output to talk about. Content is king so if you don't post to your blog regularly people will not visit it.
Posting on a forum is all very well and can often start a good discussion but it fragments your work and makes it difficult for people to find what you've done. Having a blog and posting to a forum or two is the best way so long as the forum posts have meat and aren't just redirecting people to your blog, nobody likes that.
Certainly it's worth starting a blog to see if you like it. There are many ways of starting, googling will find you many blog service providers.
Have fun.

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 07:45:34 PM »
I find maintaining a blog is a very rewarding task. People know where to find your stuff and in time will return regularly, especially when you post frequently. My blog gets about 4-5000 hits a months based on an average of 2 posts per month. I promote it posting links to the large wargames fora. I do take care to inform people what the blogpost is about and what they can expect. I dislike simply posting  links without context myself so I try not to do that.

People tell me my reviews, reports and games entertain and inspire them and that was the main reason for starting a blog (and the same reason I do participation games).

You should try it. It is easy. I built mine with Blogspot but I have heard good things about Wordpress. It is not hard. When you find it takes up too much time and causes too much stress, you can stop.

I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/