Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:14:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Great Wargaming Survey - some results  (Read 6103 times)

Offline Praefectusclassis

• Librarian
    • Karwansaray Publishers
The Great Wargaming Survey - some results
« on: August 11, 2014, 12:31:54 PM »
Hi all!
The survey is over with the amazing number of 7700+ responses. It'll be a while till we've processed everything, but some simple percentages can easily be gleaned from the data. So here's a start to satisfy some curiosity (I hope...). First results!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 12:33:57 PM by Praefectusclassis »

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Re: The Great Wargaming Survey - some results
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 01:41:33 PM »
Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 01:59:19 PM »
Works ok for me (maybe fixed since Conquistador looked mind you :) )

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 02:00:15 PM »
Written by Jasper Oorthuys
July has passed, August is here, and the results of the Great Wargaming Survey are in. The incredible number of 7759 wargamers took the time to fill out our survey, and, as we’ve said before, we are extremely grateful to all of them for doing so. I've also sent out emails to the survey prize winners - so check your inbox (and probably spam folder, just to be sure).

We’d also like to extend our thanks to the survey sponsors – 4Ground, Warlord Games, North Star Miniatures, Osprey Publishing, Pen & Sword and Casemate – as well as those bloggers who helped spread the word!

I could (and will) write a lot about how the survey came about, what we did, and why we did it and what we’ve learnt for any future surveys (yes, we have taken note of all the feedback). But for now, I expect most of you just don’t give a damn about any uhm-ing and ah-ing. You just want some of the results. The full set will need some more processing – there are nearly a million elements of data resulting from this survey – and they will be published in issue 75 of Wargames, Soldiers & Strategy, but here are some preliminaries.

We’ve got a fairly nice distribution of wargamers worldwide with 8.1% from Australia and New Zealand, 23.8% from Continental Europe, 30.8% from the UK & Ireland, and 37.3% from North America. The rest indicated they lived elsewhere. It’s probably no shocking result, but perhaps a pity, that only about 1% is female. 4% indicate they really don’t care what gender the wargamer identifies as.

Now age… Whether the hobby is graying was one of our initial questions, but we really can’t answer that with just one survey. We’d have to repeat this exact question over the next few years and see what changes. For now, it’s interesting to note that 21% is under 30, 22% is over 50 and the rest is thoroughly ‘in the prime of their life’ / ‘middle-aged’ (please circle what is appropriate). More interesting yet is that there are some clear differences per region (as above). Wargamers in ‘the Old World’ (Continental Europe) are markedly younger (30% under 30, 9% over 50) than those in North America (17% vs 27% respectively).

Wargaming is apparently also a hobby that lasts you a long time. No less than 55% indicates they’ve been ‘at it’ for at least 20 years or were taught how to roll dice by Don Featherstone… Not so in Continental Europe though, where 27% has wargamed less than 10 years vs. 20% overall. Almost everyone also indicates they want to keep going (63% “come hell or high water”, 33% as long as they can afford to and life doesn’t intervene, 3% is ambivalent about the hobby and the remaining percent doesn’t expect to).

When it comes to introducing wargamers to the hobby, friends are by far the greatest influence. Number two with some distance is “I started painting miniatures and then thought I might play with them”, very closely followed (with about 1% difference) by magazines (pfew! We still have a role there!).

That takes care of the first set of questions, hopefully satisfies some curiosity and undoubtedly provides food for thought and debate. More later!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 02:00:33 PM »
My link came up straightaway.  Thanks for that.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

• Librarian
    • Karwansaray Publishers
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 02:04:38 PM »
Didn't change a thing. What browser did you use Conquistador?

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 02:06:43 PM »
Working fine for me.

I'm guess there's a lot of ways of analysing it all, glad we could assist.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 02:06:47 PM »
Nope, probably the multiple fire-walls the IT people insist we need here.

I will try it later in a different environment (I don't use multiple firewalls at home...)

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 02:07:57 PM »
Nope, probably the multiple fire-walls the IT people insist we need here.

I will try it later in a different environment (I don't use multiple firewalls at home...)

Gracias,

Glenn

Edit: (virtual) Mozilla Firefox

• Librarian
    • Karwansaray Publishers
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 02:09:49 PM »
Yes, there are a lot of ways, especially when you start slicing and dicing the answers in various categories. The result set is (relatively) so large, you'll still have meaningful numbers if you do so.

(edit too): I also use Mozilla FF here.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 04:21:00 PM »
Good to read the initial results and interesting especially to see that the hobby has a good spread - both in terms of Geography and Age!

Well done, looking forward to the rest of it.
 :)

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 09:23:05 PM »
I think the 7700 + responses are very interesting. I Wonder how many wargamers are in the world ?
, ,

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 09:29:57 PM »
I'm guessing 7760 (my youngest joined me in a Battle Game of Middle Earth the other day, so one more than the number of respondents)!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 10:51:19 PM »
I think a lot more than we think, due to young and old ones who game in bubbles. 100,000? 500,000?

A lot more if you count RPGers who play with miniatures.

• Librarian
    • Karwansaray Publishers
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 06:50:11 AM »
From what I've heard, but these are all estimates, something around 200-250,000 historical wargamers.