Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:12:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691095
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dried up paint  (Read 1322 times)

Offline yancey5

• Bookworm
Dried up paint
« on: August 11, 2014, 09:46:55 PM »
I know this might be a tired subject, but I thought I would put this out there anyway.  Due to my typical frugal nature I was curious if there was a method  to resurrect dried up paint, e.g. adding water to acryrilic paint, thinner, etc., or is it considered a lost cause once the paint is solidified?  I know the simple answer is to buy more paint but wondered if anyone has a magic formula to restore them.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Re: Dried up paint
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 11:00:53 PM »
I know this might be a tired subject, but I thought I would put this out there anyway.  Due to my typical frugal nature I was curious if there was a method  to resurrect dried up paint, e.g. adding water to acryrilic paint, thinner, etc., or is it considered a lost cause once the paint is solidified?  I know the simple answer is to buy more paint but wondered if anyone has a magic formula to restore them.

If boiling water and a TINY bit of turps doesn't work ,nothing will.

Add a couple of drops of turps to the surface of the dried paint and rub it around till it begins to melt,t hen pour small amounts of boiling water on it, stiring it and churning it up until it begins to give.keep adding hot water till it becomes more like paint.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 11:06:07 PM »
Does that effect the original state of the paint? I mean, does it make different from before adding the turps and water?

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 11:09:59 PM »
Does that effect the original state of the paint? I mean, does it make different from before adding the turps and water?

cheers

James

It might make it a bit thinner, but overall not too much. But when is ay two drops of turps, that really i what i mean.

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 06:33:25 AM »
I bought a huge lot of old citadel paints from a garage sale a few months ago. some were totally solidified. As an experiment I added GW Lahmian Medium (an acrylic extender) and water. I was surprised by how well some came back to life (and disappointed with others) but overall I would say yes, give it a go.

The paints are not same. thinner and a few lumps in them, but overall more than useable.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 07:04:18 AM »
Have had good success resurrecting old GW (black flip-top) pot with windex (original formula w/ ammonia-D).

Just a few drops at a time and careful, steady stirring brought back some very rubbery paints which were then transferred into dropper bottles.

I use matte medium with any very thick, but essentially still fluid pots, again just adding a little bit at a time and stirring it in well before adding any more.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline yancey5

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 06:58:55 PM »
Thanks for all the advice!  I've been busy the last few days and didn't have an opportunity to respond and wanted to express my gratitude for suggested resurrections (of the paint!).