Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:33:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Max units (large!) in a T&T Game?  (Read 12988 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Max units (large!) in a T&T Game?
« on: August 13, 2014, 01:34:24 PM »
Hi,

We're going to be putting on a NWF demo game at Partizan next year and I was wondering how T&T works with larger units (of a minimum of 20 mini's) and quite a few of them at that?

I know it's a big question but was hoping that those with experience would chip in?

Darrell.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Max units (large!) in a T&T Game?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 02:21:16 PM »
Hi,

well, honest answer.

I wouldnt do that on a convention. It slows the game down.

I did it at a Tactica show a few years back when we did our Sudan Khartoum game.
It was not such a good idea for a convention. It took some time to move the single based miniatures.

Else you could do movement trays or multibasing with some single based figures, what I would do now.

Maybe its harder with participation games and a demo game would be easier to handle.

I am also not 100 % happy with the rules for larger units of 15 + figures. Its playable and it works but sometimes its not fluent like I wanted it you know....Oh what an honest game designer I am.

I am testing with changing morale rules, reducing the number of suppression marker to pin units easier ( not only large ones ) On the other hand isnt it so that large units are harder to pin down ?

Any ideas are very helpful  :)

Anyway... I am very happy if you would do a demo game with T&T rules at Partizan.
And NWF is one of my favourite theatres.

Cheers
Björn
, ,

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 03:05:49 PM »

I wouldnt do that on a convention. It slows the game down.

I did it at a Tactica show a few years back when we did our Sudan Khartoum game.
It was not such a good idea for a convention. It took some time to move the single based miniatures.

Else you could do movement trays or multibasing with some single based figures, what I would do now.

Well, they'd be multi based (my preference) or onm sabbot bases so they'd be easy to moce around.

Maybe its harder with participation games and a demo game would be easier to handle.

I hadn't thought of that but yeah, I think that it would be easier as you're not worrying about others getting a handle on the rules (probably just me to worry about  lol).

I am also not 100 % happy with the rules for larger units of 15 + figures. Its playable and it works but sometimes its not fluent like I wanted it you know....Oh what an honest game designer I am.

:)

To be honest with you Bjorn, I haven't played a game of T&T at all...... I've been so wrapped up with my Late Medieval stuff that I haven't had a chance to even play. Also, I wasn't a member of a club for quite a few years as I was living in the middle of nowhere  :'(. Obviously I'd try out the rules before doing the demo, I just wanted to hear it from the horses mouth so's to speak.

I am testing with changing morale rules, reducing the number of suppression marker to pin units easier ( not only large ones ) On the other hand isnt it so that large units are harder to pin down ?

Well, certainly, they've got a step up in morale.

Any ideas are very helpful  :)

When we've played one or ten games!  :)

Anyway... I am very happy if you would do a demo game with T&T rules at Partizan.

Cool, I may well be looking to you for advice in the future if that's OK by you? ;) :)

And NWF is one of my favourite theatres.

.....and mine too. Second Anglo-Afghan War in this case  :)

Darrell.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 04:12:20 PM »
Darrell,

YOU ... haven`t played T+T yet ? .....
Thats ok  ;)

Its a great game. It is fun, has tactical depth but easy rules and gives the player opportunities to modify the rules to his personal taste.
It is suitable for Conventions either as a demo or participation game. It is multiplayerfriendly because of its activation system.

Disadvantage...The basic rulebook is not available in colour and hardcover...  :)

I really would like to help you out if you have questions about the rules.

Cheers
Björn

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 06:26:05 AM »
Darrell,

YOU ... haven`t played T+T yet ? .....
Thats ok  ;)

I've had the rules for a good few years now too!  ??? ??? ??? It really comes down to not having the requisite number of players that were interested in tryying the rules as they were used to playing others for skirmish games. If you don't mind me saying, one of the complaints I heard often was that you end up with a lot of markers on a unit. In order to make the game look nice you need a lot of casualty markers...... I guess that's what you mean when you said you were going to look at the morale system again?

Its a great game. It is fun, has tactical depth but easy rules and gives the player opportunities to modify the rules to his personal taste.
It is suitable for Conventions either as a demo or participation game. It is multiplayerfriendly because of its activation system.

Well, I gave the rules the once over last evening and I think that whilst the collection is being built up I'll go with T&T. I'm not so sure as what I'll be using once the units start getting larger  ??? ??? ???

Disadvantage...The basic rulebook is not available in colour and hardcover...  :)

Yeah, but there are many examples of beautiful looking games on this forum and other for for that matter  :)

I really would like to help you out if you have questions about the rules.

Oh, with my head I'm sure that there will be a question or two. Thanks for your help thus far Bjorn  8)

Darrell.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 06:27:55 AM by Atheling »

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 10:06:39 AM »
Hi,

yes, partially.
Actually you dont need so many markers. I use three different markers in my games. I use stones on bases ( 1, 2 and 3 stones ) that melt with my playing ground.

At a game with a 20 men unit for example you need three markers with 3 stones and one marker  with 2 stones. Makes 4 markers to note the pinned morale check has come. The smaller the unit the less markers you need.  I personally think that are not very much markers.

I am very ambitious with terrain, so I dont like dice ( sometimes I use them glued on a nice base to identify units) , white rings, poker chips, paper stripes on or beside my models or on the terrain.

I thought stones on a coin with some sand, colour and static grass are fine. It looks fine and the markers camouflage with the tabletop.

But actually - and so you are right - I am looking for a system that uses no markers at all ( or only one for pinning ) and that is also a bit innovative. I havent found it yet but I have some ideas.

There are often rules or mechanics that some wargamers do not like. The card  activation because they like IGUG. Some people do not like d 10. They cant go without d 6. Some people need multi bases, some play only in 15 mm and so on.

I personally think a game must have one or two innovative mechanisms. Like for example the battle board with Saga which I think is a great idea. Or the Card, order and troop quality activation with the  T+T rules. It is not randomized. You can plot your tactics all by yourself which for my taste is a bit more interesting than just turn some cards or roll a die to see who is next. But again... a matter of taste  :)

Thanks for your time and above reply.

Cheers
Björn