Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:35:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Does anyone have experience with Bloody Barons?  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Sir Tobi

• Bookworm
    • Tobi's Paint Pot
Does anyone have experience with Bloody Barons?
« on: August 15, 2014, 07:38:40 PM »
Hi all,

I've read Peter Pigs Ruleset "Bloody Barons" and it sounds really good. Before I go ahead and rebase my Perry-armies (I'll do both sides) though, I wanted to ask if anyone here has some experience with it and can say something about it. I really would appreciate it.

Many thanks and best regards,
Tobi

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Does anyone have experience with Bloody Barons?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 06:29:47 AM »
Hi all,

I've read Peter Pigs Ruleset "Bloody Barons" and it sounds really good. Before I go ahead and rebase my Perry-armies (I'll do both sides) though, I wanted to ask if anyone here has some experience with it and can say something about it. I really would appreciate it.

Many thanks and best regards,
Tobi

Hi Tobi,

I once bought the rules but later I sold them on as I couldn't find anyone to play the Wars of the Roses with me! Then came the Perry plastics!!!  >:( :D :) :)

I did scim through them but cannot really remember what they played like as we didn't get a chance to play them!

A set that I really did like was A Coat of Steel (goes with their Campaign System, A Crown of Paper) from the Perfect Captain, it's free, colourful and really has the feel of a Cousins War battle (as far as I can tell!  :)). Google it and it's a free download, with great graphics, they ask you to make a donation to your favourite charity, which I did as it only seems fair really!!

Darrell.

Offline Orlock

• Bookworm
    • The White Boar
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 07:31:53 AM »
I have a copy but have never played them, I have always used A Coat of Steel by the Perfect Captain.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 11:45:45 PM »
We've played them a few times.

No need to re-base figures though so long as your current basing is consistent, (all on the same frontage as each other). Ours are mostly based for WRG Renaissance (George Gush rules) so we just make sure to only use multiple based figures or group singles together so that they line up.

The rules have some interesting bits, but the "pre-battle" bit are worth getting your head round even if you use another system for the actual fighting - the pre-battle can make it a bit less of an even fight than most points based systems.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Sir Tobi

• Bookworm
    • Tobi's Paint Pot
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 09:15:02 PM »
Many thanks for your help. I'll try Coat of Steel - all those counters and cards are a little daunting, but it looks wort the effort. Thanks again!

Offline Orlock

• Bookworm
    • The White Boar
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 10:07:39 PM »
I thought the same thing when I printed out the rules and counters. To be honest it all falls neatly into place when you start playing.