Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:26:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Where do you buy your brushes?  (Read 5087 times)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
Where do you buy your brushes?
« on: August 17, 2014, 03:44:11 PM »
Since moving I'm no longer in range of the hobby shop I used to frequent for supplies. The only place near me, that I know of, is a Hobbycraft store, but they don't have a great supply of fine brushes and those there are are usually already splayed anyway. So can anyone recommend a a good online supplier/range? Or alternatively anyone know of good hobby shops in/around Bristol or Somerset area (UK)?

Cheers
Rob

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Where do you buy your brushes?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 03:48:55 PM »
Em4 Kolinsky Sable  http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/em4_Paint_Brushes.html  - utterly gorgeous brushes and a good price. I bought one at a show and now won't buy anywhere else, except for big fluffy ones.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 04:16:31 PM »
disregard
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 09:00:41 PM by grant »
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 08:55:15 PM »
I use to pick all my art stuff here http://www.theartshops.co.uk/

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 09:37:14 PM »
From discussion on the LAF I went for Rosemary's Brushes when I replaced mine. I wasn't disappointed, they are excellent and very reasonably priced.

http://www.rosemaryandco.com

I picked up the Sable blend brushes.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 10:01:11 PM »
Rosemary's series 33 Kolinsky sable. Unbeatable quality for the price, and immaculate service and speed of delivery.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 10:15:07 PM »
Rosemary's look good - does anyone know the difference in length between long and short handles?

Most of my current ones (em4) are about 12-13cm of wooden handle, beyond the ferrule.

Offline Gary Peach

• Scientist
  • I paint to live, not live to paint.
    • www.marchattack.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 10:25:24 PM »
same problem, I was using Cottman from Hobbycraft.  Always had the damaged no use problem, now Cottman are getting scares in the local model shops.

Ive changed to Expo brushes from Arcane Scenery and Models,  They come with all protection and fast.  Good price and seem to stand up to the numbers I paint.

Offline Relic

• Mad Scientist
  • www.lead-space.net
    • Personal hobby blog
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 06:41:37 AM »
I used rosemary but changed to windsor & newton. Both are good but tha latter is better. Series 7 especially

I order from here

https://www.artsupplies.co.uk/

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 06:47:34 AM »
Apparently there's Kolinsky and there's Kolinsky...

I bought a bunch of branded Kolinsky sable brushes from Feldherr, because I buy stuff there anyway and they had reasonable prices.

They're ok, but they have a very bad tendency to split a few hairs off the point.

This has made me rather wary about "shop brand" brushes. I think I'll need to get some Raphaels or W&N ones...

I found a good price on W&N from an art supply store in Germany, but they were more B2B operation and had a 150e minimum order. I didn't need quite so many brushes...

Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 09:44:04 AM »
I use W&N Series 7 (size 1 is the most useful for me), and I buy them from Ken Bromley.

Generally, if you buy 3-4 brushes, you get free delivery. They also carry lots of other useful things like acrylic mediums, inks, and such. KB offer great service and good prices, and they are UK-based too.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 10:11:48 AM »
Rosemary's look good - does anyone know the difference in length between long and short handles?

You want the short handle versions. The long handle brushes are ridiculously long - designed for dilletante watercolourists  ;)

Like most things in wargaming, choice of brushes comes down to personal taste, budget and prejudice.

I have a particular prejudice against W&N 7 series because so many people swear by them as the only true answer - whereas I've always found them distinctly average in terms of durability and performance (the point and its tensility - what the serious painters refer to as 'snap' or 'spring').
Rosemary brushes (in my experience anyway) are every bit as good, but a third of the price - like two or three quid a brush rather than seven or eight quid.

But I'm equally sure you'll find other people who will tell you they can't get on with Rosemary brushes  :)

As ever, you pays your money and takes your choice...

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 10:33:39 AM »
The long handle brushes are ridiculously long - designed for dilletante watercolourists  ;)

lol

Like most things in wargaming, choice of brushes comes down to personal taste, budget and prejudice.

Totally agree - as well as individual style/preference, there's other (perhaps ergonomic factors) that mean there isn't a one-size-fits-all approach.

I have a particular prejudice against W&N 7 series because so many people swear by them as the only true answer - whereas I've always found them distinctly average in terms of durability and performance (the point and its tensility - what the serious painters refer to as 'snap' or 'spring').

A bit unfair - I do find W&N distinctly above average.

I agree that there are other brands that are as good or better though, and costs vary a lot too. The main thing about a brand like W&N is that it's readily available, and that it's quite consistent for those people (like me) who cannot easily get to an art shop and check out other brands of brushes in person.

I would always suggest going in person to an art shop and choosing a brush that way if you can though - no substitute for seeing things yourself before you choose.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 10:38:35 AM »
I used the cheap ones from that cheap bookshop on the highstreet £1.99 for 3. They aren`t perfect and dont last very long but at that price I dont mind as they end up in a heirarchy of painting detail, vlovk painting, base coating and painting bases to finally used for glue and basing  ;D

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 11:09:16 AM »
Because there is a plethora of local shops and chains here I buy locally so I can see them.  Which is weird so someone who paints as poorly as I do after decades of futility followed by acceptance...

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!