Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:54:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Where do you buy your brushes?  (Read 5080 times)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Re: Where do you buy your brushes?
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2014, 07:34:08 PM »
...I have to admit that my main problem with brushes seems to be letting paint dry inside the bristles of the brush. So I am trying harder to wash the brush more while painting and wash it at the end of a session with brush soap too.

When my (Rosemary) brush has come to the end of its painting life, I clean it with Humbrol Liquid Poly Plastic Glue - the stuff I use to stick hard plastic figures with.

DISCLAIMER - do this at your own risk...

I  got the tip from Steve Dean's site.

Dip the brush in and leave for a minute, wipe with paper towel and all the dried up paint now comes out.  Repeat until no more paint.  Clean as normal.  Use next painting session and, for me, lots more use.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2014, 09:14:52 PM »
Having just read the above, I had to try it.

And it certainly seems to work. A couple of dunks and a pretty caked up em4 brush seems to be well on the way to recovery. Don't leave the ploy cement on too long otherwise it evaporates off, 10-20s seems about right.

Cheers for the tip.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2014, 11:25:48 PM »
As i am NOT a painter in any sense of the word. I have used brushes from several lines. MY current collection has brushes from GW, hell i even still have a set of the old Ral Parthe clear handle brushes now that it think of it. I know th W&N line. The Rosemary's have been talked up a lot in recent years. I took a chance and jumped on a recent KS to get a set of brushes form the G&G line. They will be coming soon.
Like those who have said. Buy a few from different sources. See what you like. As many people have mentioned. It isnt the brush it is the user of the brush. I choose to not believe that and assume i will eventually buy a brush with magical powers and i will be a decent player. At least that is my thought process when it comes to painting. :-)

Grimm