Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:14:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Working on 28mm African Adventure (Update 10/12/14 Col. Simpson's retinue ...)  (Read 13201 times)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Since completing my Egyptian archeological dig in June, I’ve been working on my 28mm Victorian African Adventure collection.  When this collection is completed (to the degree than any of these things is ever really done), it will be a series of random vignettes with no overarching theme other than I love the figures and needed a stage for their display.  Let me say from the outset that this is Hollywood Africa not historic Africa.  If I were to sort through the inspirational motivations for this collection, they would probably be the wonderful Darkest Africa figures from Foundry, the Cornel Wilde movie Naked Prey filmed in the mid-1960s on location in Rhodesia/now Zimbabwe, and the great figure painting I have seen on LAF.  I hope to have the figures and the terrain that goes with them done and posted as a complete gallery in November 2014, but, in the meantime, I thought I would post some pictures of the figures as I complete them.  I’ve never done this before; I tend to wait until everything is as done as I can get it and then present the gallery as a whole, but with the Egyptian dig I posted the early stages of my Egyptian temple complex and the pyramids, and that was fun so I’ve decided to give this a try.  The first pictures are posted below and more will follow as the project progresses.  Hope you enjoy them.   I’ll begin with some tribal chieftains… one by Reaper, two by Foundry, one by Copplestone Castings (I stole the color scheme for that figure but can’t remember from whom), and one by Old Glory.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 01:12:14 AM by War In 15MM »

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
Re: Working on 28mm African Adventure
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 01:04:38 AM »
That's a great start; looking forward to seeing the rest
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 05:54:30 AM »
Richard,

Understand your reasonings for the larger scales but still disappointed, especially here, that you didn't stick with 15 mm.  Blue Moon and Irregular together give a great opportunity to do this period in the smaller scale and do it in ways that would be hard to match in 28 mm.  For instance, I have about 300 animals for my Africa games, about half painted (but bases not textured so not very photogenic yet).  I have 'herds' of three dozen animals which I just thinks speaks Africa better than one or two beasts.

Your first photo is very nice.  The others suffer from focus - probably a depth of field issue (someone who knows still photography should be better able to  diagnose the whys).

However, setting aside that, looking forward to seeing your work when done and fully posted.  Like it or not, you've attained a certain idol status in this little hobby we all share.   ::)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 02:29:47 PM »
Thanks to both of you for writing.  Sorry about the focus issue.  Now you know one of the key reasons my daughter is the photographer for all my galleries and will be for the African Adventure Gallery when the time comes.  FifteensAway, I always appreciate your dedication to the 15mm/18mm, and I mean that sincerely.  I love those figures and wouldn't consider doing a military collection in anything else.  I didn't do Africa in Blue Moon's 15mm/18mm for two reasons… one, I have decided to use the larger scale for things like Pulp/Adventure stuff and two, I tend to collect figures over many years before the painting begins and Blue Moon didn't come out with their African figures until well after I had amassed a large stock of figures in the 25mm/28mm scale for Africa.  That said, you may be pleased to know that in November I plan to begin my French and Indian War collection which is largely Blue Moon 15mm/18mm and that will occupy my time for the better part of a year or more.  Looking forward to project because I have been in love with the FIW since I first saw Randolph Scott in Last of the Mohicans when I was about 8 years old.  Thank you so much for your interest and your very generous comments.  Richard

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 02:32:14 PM »
Long Live 28's,great throne and paint jobs,28mm also is a necessity as you age and so goes your eye sight. I startrd in 15's and still game them,but no new ones,the eyes have had it. Can't wait to see more.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 04:24:06 PM »
juergen, thank for taking the time to write.  I plan to post the next set of figure pics this weekend.  They will be Arab slavers from Foundry.  Richard

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Working on 28mm African Adventure (Update/Arab slavers)
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 10:23:17 PM »
This is my second figure posting for my African Adventure.  They are some of my Arab slavers by Foundry.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 02:03:49 AM »
I like 'em  :-*
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 05:36:20 PM »
Great looking figures.
I think the Foundry DA figures are some of their best.
You have done a fine job on them.
Look forward to seeing more.
Thanks for sharing.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Working on 28mm African Adventure (Update/Pygmy huts)
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 03:18:33 AM »
A couple weeks ago I found these Carl’s Jr kids’ meal toys (hamburgers on stilts) at the swap meet for 50 cents each.  I bought them because I thought they could be made to serve as huts on stilts in for my pygmy village.  The picture shows the before (in the center) and the after (on the left and right) versions with a Foundry pygmy for scale.

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 05:08:50 AM »
BRILLIANT!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 05:10:20 AM »
Great bash mate.

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 06:39:18 PM »
Nice job!  :-*
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 01:37:33 AM »
Those huts are great!  :o :-* :o
LB

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 03:07:57 AM »
That is awesome!